Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think race relations will get better or worse after President Obama leaves office?
Yes 51 67.11%
No 25 32.89%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2015, 09:12 AM

15,638 posts, read 10,393,078 times

Advertisements

Hopefully, relations will be better after Obama leaves Office. One can hope!

Whatever the reason, during Obama's watch, race relations have significantly deteriorated.

Americans' Views of Black-White Relations Deteriorate Gallup, August, 2015

47% say black-white relations are good, down from 70%

Blacks' and whites' views also much more negative

58% of Americans still optimistic about future relations
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2015, 09:14 AM

45,230 posts, read 26,450,499 times
I think Obama has proven stirring the race pot is a great diversion and expect future administrations will continue to fan flames for their own purposes

Old 09-04-2015, 09:36 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,709,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Do you think race relations will get better or worse after President Obama leaves office?

I personally think race relations will get worse as Blacks continue to face racial oppression and injustice. I don't see it getting any better after Obama presidency. What do you think?
I agree with you. I think the election of Obama had the fine print of writing off the legitimacy of the "black struggle" against past and present racism, for many whites. They reason that if racism was really REAL, then how could a black person be elected to the highest office? Thus, it makes more white comfortable with the idea that "blacks are their own worst enemy". If Obama could do it....what is the excuse of the rest? Also, I think blacks let a lot of things slide early on....and did not really press Obama concerning black issues....because they were trying to protect the success and image of the first black president and his tackling racial issues would lose favor quickly in the white community.

I think we cannot press the next president, who will most likely be white, concerning racial issues, if we did not press this one. Thus, I do not think that any candidate out there will be addressing racial issues in a way that appeals to blacks, but more in a way that appeals to whites.

Old 09-04-2015, 09:51 AM

73,031 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
This technology has also chronicled and exposed extreme black violence to a degree that many of us never knew existed before. Once you've seen one of those mob beat down videos it can't be unseen. I'm not sure what the implications of that will be for race relations but it's hard to envision a fully integrated post-racial society developing any time soon.
People have been complaining about Blacks and crime for ages. Nothing new. Many people never wanted a post-racial integrated society from the beginning. Some people have just wanted to see Blacks go away. This goes all the way back to when people were seeing that slavery was going to end. Lincoln wanted to see Blacks sent away. Bad feelings towards Blacks is nothing new. Blacks being treated like dirt is nothing new. Blacks doing things to each other is nothing new. Same as it ever was. Difference is, as you say, technology puts it out there more. This is why I cannot take what you said seriously, because it is nothing new. Same complaints.

I also notice this. Many people don't make any distinctions between the average black person, and underclass types such as the ones attacking people.

Old 09-04-2015, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
I think Obama has proven stirring the race pot is a great diversion and expect future administrations will continue to fan flames for their own purposes
Things were already not that great. The USA was already not that united to begin with. Since when has the racial divide not been there? Name one time in our history.

Old 09-04-2015, 10:00 AM

I do not think race relations will get better once President Obama is out of office. There are people who never wanted to see President Obama in office. There are some who never wanted to see someone who looks like him in office. And there are people who feel that the President is the Great Divider.

I feel like some people will use their anger towards President Obama to treat Black people badly. In my opinion, this next election could mean some racially motivated memes on facebook. There were alot of racially motivated tweets after President Obama was re-elected. It could turn into some racially motivated posts in terms of "he's gone".

In my opinion the election brought out closet bigots and radicals long before President Obama stepped into office. Once he is gone, there might be people who want revenge because of the Obama Administration.

I'm somewhat cynical. Since when has there not been racial divides in this nation?

Old 09-04-2015, 10:05 AM

24,417 posts, read 23,070,474 times
Better. When Obama leaves it will be like waking up with hangover from the mother of all benders and you wonder just WTH were you thinking when you look around to see what you've done.
You sober up and realize what you thought while in a drunken stupor suddenly doesn't make any sense.

Old 09-04-2015, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
Better. When Obama leaves it will be like waking up with hangover from the mother of all benders and you wonder just WTH were you thinking when you look around to see what you've done.
You sober up and realize what you thought while in a drunken stupor suddenly doesn't make any sense.
I don't think so. The same bigots today will be bigots tomorrow. There were be people saying things like "glad the Black man is out of office".

Something else to consider. Every time I go to the internet, I am reminded that race relations have not changed all that much. Many things people would not dare say out loud, they will say on the internet. I can go to youtube and find a plethora of bigoted comments under certain videos, particularly if it involves crime and violence committed by Blacks. We don't need a president to divide anyone. Memes, videos, and social media can do that. News travels faster these days.

Old 09-04-2015, 11:46 AM

7,506 posts, read 5,753,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
I think those outraged that a black man is in charge and not afraid to call out racism will be less vocal and emboldened as the source of their angst is less visible.

The rise of cameras and social media spreads select bad police behaviors that black people have long complained about but now have evidence to prove, so probably not without real change.
in operations at local levels.
You are obsessed with skin color. Who cares what color his skin is? It's his actions, or in this case lack of action, that's the issue. Until your type drop the racist attitude your going to stay where you are forever complaining about what your not being given.

There is a good thread on the difference between blacks and Asians. Go read it.

Old 09-04-2015, 11:54 AM

4,385 posts, read 4,391,598 times
It depends on the economy. When people have jobs and money enough they aren't as apt to go postal on each other. Of course, there will always be a small percentage of the population that is antisocial enough to keep the pot stirred because it amuses them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies