Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2015, 12:32 PM

85 posts, read 84,256 times

Advertisements

It looks like our country is getting dumber and we will have to import more Asians and Indians (from India) to help this country continue to innovate and succeed. These results are pathetic but the article does state that family income has a lot to do with it.

From the article:

"SAT scores dropped significantly for the class of college-bound seniors this year. All three sections saw declines -- and the numbers were down for male and female students alike. At the same time, SAT scores showed continued patterns in which white and Asian students, on average, receive higher scores than do black and Latino students."

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/...s-remain-large

Old 09-05-2015, 12:41 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,237,135 times
No, we don't need to bring in Asians to help innovation. That's bull. High test scores have a limited correlation to innovation. Innovation has more to do with freedom of imagination being tied to education investment and resources to bring ideas to fruition...not high scores on entry exams.

Anyway...kids just need to study harder. This is no big deal.

Old 09-05-2015, 12:48 PM

45,456 posts, read 60,666,498 times
When you dig deeper into the numbers you'll also discover that students are taking the SAT/ACT who, in previous generations, wouldn't have. The College Board doesn't like to admit that and they cover themselves in the "equity" blanket but the reality is that more kids taking the test means more revenue.

My (former) school system requires that all 11th graders take the SAT, it's on a special testing day in February. How do you think those scores look with kids who haven't yet passed Alg I and are reading at a 5th grade level taking it? The 5th grade reading level was the 9th grade average last year at a middle/upper middle class high school. I don't know what the level was at the poorer high schools in the system.

Old 09-05-2015, 12:53 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,186,083 times
The article states that those with the poorest families received the lowest scores. That had far more to do with the gaps than anything else.

Again, why do Hispanics get broken down into ethnic groups but the same is not done for people of African or Asian origin? SMH.

Old 09-05-2015, 12:56 PM

3,830 posts, read 4,667,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
When you dig deeper into the numbers you'll also discover that students are taking the SAT/ACT who, in previous generations, wouldn't have. The College Board doesn't like to admit that and they cover themselves in the "equity" blanket but the reality is that more kids taking the test means more revenue.

My (former) school system requires that all 11th graders take the SAT, it's on a special testing day in February. How do you think those scores look with kids who haven't yet passed Alg I and are reading at a 5th grade level taking it? The 5th grade reading level was the 9th grade average last year at a middle/upper middle class high school. I don't know what the level was at the poorer high schools in the system.
Yeah that's probably got a lot more to do with it than kids becoming "dumber" or "needing to study more" o any such nonsense.

Old 09-05-2015, 01:09 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,237,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post

Bingo!

It's not a big deal.

Old 09-05-2015, 01:13 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,346,879 times
Maybe they'll just renorm the scores again. That'll fix it.

Old 09-05-2015, 01:39 PM

16,912 posts, read 10,604,576 times
I think more kids feel pressured these days to take the SAT even if they are not big "book smart" types. That might account for overall lower numbers. The race gap correlates with what we know about IQ differences. And while the SAT is not an IQ test, there is some correlation between the two.

Last edited by MJJersey; 09-05-2015 at 02:14 PM..

Old 09-05-2015, 01:40 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,186,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
The racial gap is the main reason for the drop in SAT scores. Black students from the wealthiest families barely outscore White students from the poorest families.

Hispanic students also score poorly and as the country becomes more Hispanic, the scores will continue to drop.
Again, why do Hispanics get broken down into ethnic groups but the same is not done for people of African or Asian origin?

Hispanics are not a race either...but regard is given to their ethnicities.

Old 09-05-2015, 01:45 PM

25,594 posts, read 17,323,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
Again, why do Hispanics get broken down into ethnic groups but the same is not done for people of African or Asian origin?

Hispanics are not a race either...but regard is given to their ethnicities.
How you gonna break African Americans down by ethnic groups?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies