Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2015, 03:16 PM

38,933 posts, read 24,018,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
No examples of laws specifically forcing you to do business with those you view as criminals?
Not for sex offenders for landlords if it puts other tenants at risk. Must I Rent to a Sex Offender? | Lawyers.com
Quote:
In most states, a landlord can rent to a registered sex offender as long as the offender does not pose a recognizable risk to other tenants. A recognizable risk might be renting to a known pedophile in a building with many children. It would not be a risk to rent to a pedophile in a building with all adults. A landlord is under no duty to check the registry prior to renting.
This means that someone convicted of raping an of age woman, may put the landlord at risk with just about anyone. Jared though would only be subjected to this in a complex with children.

Old 09-06-2015, 04:09 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,447,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Are there any libertarian (or otherwise) voluntary associations? There wouldn't be anything preventing folks from forming these within the current system, would there?
All voluntary associations are subject to statist force right now.

Yes, the state stands in the way.

I cannot write up a contract with you to exchange sex for money even if we both consented.

We are the babies of daddy government. If we want to go in the backyard and play we must ask for permission from Pops (aka Uncle Sam) to do so.

Old 09-06-2015, 04:13 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure how this addresses the point of scaling the system of ostracizing criminals, once you get beyond a few thousand individuals who know each other by name or reputation. You want to run a background check?
Each individual should have the right to their own body and soul to use the free means of production to create.

The results of those creations, in the form of products or services, are therefore the property of the individual.

If you don't want to sell chairs you made to a rapist you can use whatever tools you wish to determine that status. Extensive background check, psychic reading, word of mouth, etc.

Since you own yourself and the fruits of your labor you cannot be penalized by an involuntary 3rd party on who and HOW you do business.

Old 09-06-2015, 04:20 PM

Quote:
No examples of laws specifically forcing you to do business with those you view as criminals?
Nope.

Old 09-06-2015, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
Yes, when a human child is born, he is left in the woods where he is free to roam and fend for himself, much like a reptilian born from an egg. We are all born free and have no obligations to anyone else. How can people not understand this? Stupid statists.
I know you're a hardcore statist so let me ask you this:

How much "contact" does a human have to have within the state's sphere to surrender his rights/free will to the state?

First breath? Conception? Issuing of social security card?

Old 09-06-2015, 04:52 PM

1,805 posts, read 1,474,122 times
Your system might work for a very small homogeneous society but as you scale up the population, given human nature, it would break down into a clanish structure. It would be very difficult to establish the necessary utility monopolies needed for efficiently delivering the infrastructure needs of a large modern population. As with most utopian ideals there is merit but when it comes down to the practical implemation it tends to break on the rocks of human nature.

Old 09-06-2015, 04:53 PM

3,304 posts, read 2,180,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
I know you're a hardcore statist so let me ask you this:

How much "contact" does a human have to have within the state's sphere to surrender his rights/free will to the state?

First breath? Conception? Issuing of social security card?
You've enlightened me with your binary point of view. You are either free or a hardcore statist. I agree that we are born free. Once a baby leaves the womb, he is free to do what he pleases. There are no conditions to that at all. I think that we've come to a clear agreement.

Old 09-06-2015, 04:54 PM

5,311 posts, read 2,370,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pac_5 View Post
There is an odd subsection of Conservatives who often mumble "my rights come from God, not the government"...... which is all fine and cute, but not terribly pragmatic, lest we start quoting Deuteronomy and take this conversation back to the myths of 2000 BC.......

I believe Marx's theory on consciousness and political economy is probably a far better discussion, for left and right alike.
I think it's more than an odd subsection in the U.S., considering that was one of the foundational beliefs of the country. Do you believe that other people own you, or that you own yourself? I'm not sure why it isn't pragmatic to interact with people on a voluntary basis instead of at gunpoint.

Old 09-06-2015, 05:03 PM

5,311 posts, read 2,370,780 times
I didn't mean for this thread to turn into another "how would _____ work without a ruling class" discussion...I wanted the focus to be on agreeing that the state doesn't have legitimate authority. As I said in an earlier post, I at least want people to realize its illegitimate. That's the first step. Then the later discussion can be about what to do, if anything.

Old 09-06-2015, 05:34 PM

3,304 posts, read 2,180,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
I didn't mean for this thread to turn into another "how would _____ work without a ruling class" discussion...I wanted the focus to be on agreeing that the state doesn't have legitimate authority. As I said in an earlier post, I at least want people to realize its illegitimate. That's the first step. Then the later discussion can be about what to do, if anything.
I agree that the social contract is illegitimate. What do we do about it? Absolutely nothing. We can still use the public roads and infrastructure and enjoy the safety and protection of the state, all while feeling morally superior to those stupid statists who do the exact same thing. The difference is we're enlightened and they're not. It's the best of both worlds. I can see where you guys are coming from now. There's nothing hypocritical about it at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies