Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2015, 10:59 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,055,630 times

Advertisements

They're pretty terrible.
But at the same time, one has to wonder if the reason they don't do anything is because they'll be portrayed as "racist" for going too far against Dear Leader... particularly when the media is still, to this day, not doing their jobs and still carrying water for him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2015, 12:45 AM

35,704 posts, read 21,070,199 times
they are all puppets,,, the puppet masters is big money the strings are lobbyists-- PERIOD-- we could play this game all day day long- vote Rep. vote Dem and what changes?

Old 09-13-2015, 02:35 AM

8,610 posts, read 7,895,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Don't ask a question on City-Data unless you want a variety of answers. I am seeing a little of what our congressional leaders are dealing with. I am like the person that said to put it to a vote then use it the next time to get rid of the bad representatives and presidential candidates. Then somebody else said that was wasting time. I don't think it is wasting time. It is calling for each congressional representative to be accountable for their views. You can't tell the voters John Doe is an irresponsible candidate unless you have a voting record to use to prove it.

I also don't think that all votes should go along party lines. What has happened to representatives voting what their people want them to vote no matter which party is trying to get it done. It is time for individual thinking to be allowed. We need some representatives with a little backbone.

My husband said that we could save a lot of money if we just had the leaders vote in the house and senate because everybody else follows their lead. If everybody in the party votes the same way, nobody but the party leaders are necessary. Send everybody else home. You are there to represent your people. START DOING YOUR JOB.

Have you ever noticed that a not so wealthy representative can start at an early age in congress where I would think the salary does not compare to the really rich working people and stay in congress for years still not making an enormous salary but when they have been there a few years they will soon be worth millions. I have wondered many times how that happens. Do they have other jobs at home? It just seems strange to me that a person could get rich representing others. Something's not right about that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtObrnaovrI

Old 09-13-2015, 06:54 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
On the three previous occasions that Republicans controlled both houses of Congress, either existing unemployment decreased or we were at full employment and either running deficits declined or the annual federal budget was in balance.

They are three for three.
They didn't balance the budget. They stole from Social Security which only made that worse. Were those budgets still better than todays? Absolutely, but they still shouldn't get credit for what amounted to shuffling the paperwork.

Those same people then allowed Bush to blow up the budget with his off budget wars. Am I saying the (D)'s are better? No.

Old 09-13-2015, 07:38 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,550,307 times
Lightbulb Republicans Control Both House and Senate So Why Are They Are They Helping The Democrats?

Because the GOP has become so dysfunctional that they now look to the Democrats for leadership.

With Boner and McConnell as their top dogs, who can blame them?

Gutless Old Party

Old 09-13-2015, 07:52 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,055,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorqual View Post
I will drop this right here...mere months after Obama was elected.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-A09a_gHJc
Not sure what this overused clip of one person is supposed to prove or what it has to do with anything I said.

Old 09-13-2015, 07:57 AM

34,062 posts, read 17,081,326 times
It takes 60 Senate votes to get closure and therefore to get a bill to the floor. GOP does not have that.

Next.

Old 09-14-2015, 08:19 PM
NCN NCN started this thread

21,663 posts, read 25,637,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
They're pretty terrible.
But at the same time, one has to wonder if the reason they don't do anything is because they'll be portrayed as "racist" for going too far against Dear Leader... particularly when the media is still, to this day, not doing their jobs and still carrying water for him.
There comes a time when you have to stop worrying about what people will say about what you do and get enough backbone to do what needs to be done. They are sacrificing what should be done in order to keep their jobs. Have the bill, take the vote and let each congressman go back home and explain to the people there why they voted the way they did. I think that would change Washington.

Old 09-14-2015, 08:21 PM
NCN NCN started this thread

21,663 posts, read 25,637,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
It takes 60 Senate votes to get closure and therefore to get a bill to the floor. GOP does not have that.

Next.
It makes no sense to me to not vote until you know you have enough votes. If you really vote sometimes those no votes become yes votes because they get feedback from home. These congressmen are being let off the hook too easily. Let them put up or explain why they didn't and you might get a new crop that is functional.

Old 09-14-2015, 09:41 PM

11,755 posts, read 7,118,859 times
Are you people serious?

It's because the Republicans don't have a filibuster-proof majority in the Senate. Without having 60 votes for cloture, the Democrats can kill every legislation. That's what happened with the Iran nuclear deal disapproval resolution - it died in the Senate because the Dems had 42 votes.

Hence no need for a Presidential veto.

National Government 101

Mick
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies