Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do the rich have a duty to help the poor in your opinion?
Yes 89 40.64%
No 130 59.36%
Voters: 219. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2015, 04:53 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTRIDER AZ View Post
I think any who the resources should invest in new business and expansion. This will help the poor with jobs. Not hand outs!

Many so call rich people do help and have foundations.
Why would they RISK their money only for government to take a higher percentage away from them? That's what you "tax the rich" people refuse to get. If you insist on taking a bigger chunk of their profit they won't do it. Last I heard Bernie Sanders is saying raise their taxes to 90%. Now who in the hell is going to risk their money and be forced to give up 90% of the profits. <smack>
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2015, 04:59 PM

8,061 posts, read 4,885,782 times
Exclamation Risk for reward!

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Why would they RISK their money only for government to take a higher percentage away from them? That's what you "tax the rich" people refuse to get.
Well Now we are talking tax reform and I am for that and I am for tax breaks foe employers who expand and hire American Citizens.

We all know if you are a Dem, one is against success on any level when it comes to business. Take a hard look at Mr. Sanders! He thinks the Gov and the People who Pay taxes have endless revenue.

So many Liberals get caught in "Free Stuff and the public good" Some always pays for it. We have 18tin debt now and the Democrats have not even address the Deficit.

Old 09-18-2015, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTRIDER AZ View Post
Well Now we are talking tax reform and I am for that and I am for tax breaks foe employers who expand and hire American Citizens.

We all know if you are a Dem, one is against success on any level when it comes to business. Take a hard look at Mr. Sanders! He thinks the Gov and the People who Pay taxes have endless revenue.

So many Liberals get caught in "Free Stuff and the public good" Some always pays for it. We have 18tin debt now and the Democrats have not even address the Deficit.
The people on the left always did think that money is endless even in their personal lives. That's why their so damn broke. They don't know how to handle money. Their dipping into other people's money and they think it's endless too.

Old 09-18-2015, 05:16 PM

52,267 posts, read 52,686,640 times
Quote:
A lot of the "down trodden" have the attitude that someone owes them. Others are their own worst enemy. I have a cuz who is an alcoholic, been to rehab 3 times. Still can't hold a job because he keeps showing up for work drunk.

He's been given my grandparents house because he was "down trodden", he trashed it and now it's boarded up as unsafe. My mom tried to help, allowing him to live with her rent free as long as he stopped drinking, he didn't, in fact he stole from her. And this is where people think our money should go?
Being a drunk isn't someone I consider down trodden.

Old 09-18-2015, 05:22 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowTune View Post
Do the rich have a duty to help the poor in your opinion? For the sake of wanting to hear what the average American's opinion is on the matter, (which in this case will be the CD community) I'm going to leave my personal views out of it, for now..... Thanks for any and all replies.

No has a "duty" to help anyone but themselves so they can be self sufficient and not depend on others however there are exceptions for those who are not able bodied such as those who are disabled, children, elders, disabling illness, etc.

Old 09-18-2015, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Being a drunk isn't someone I consider down trodden.
A nasty drunk, who can't hold a job and he qualifies for all kinds of help, including tax payer funded rehab 3 times, tax payer funded jail time too. And when he gets sick we the tax payer will pay for his medical care until he's dead. Oh and by the way... he loves Obama and also thinks the rich "should pay their fair share" LOL. Too bad he won't use some of that money we the tax payer give him to buy toothpaste to brush his teeth. He said he could care less what other people think.

Old 09-18-2015, 05:45 PM

366 posts, read 494,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatis View Post
There isn't a state in the union where minimum wage can allow a person to pay rent. If you want to eliminate handouts, people need a livable wage. The only help the poor need is a job that will get them out of poverty instead of keep them in it. The bottom line is that if a person works full time and still needs taxpayer assistance, it is the employer getting the handout not the worker. The poor don't need assistance, they don't need charity, they need a livable wage.
This is true. Many poor are poor because of the rich. With money comes not only the ability to buy food, shelter and clothing, but power over other people and decisions that can be made. When you have a set number of resources and one group hoards them, leaving crumbs and scraps, of course there will be a manufactured poor no matter how hard this "poor" group works to get those scraps.

People today insist that the poor are poor because they made "bad choices" (who hasn't done that, btw?) and don't "work hard enough" (do CEO's really work 1000 times harder than their lowest rung workers? You and I both know that's not even *possible*.)

So what of the poor people of the world who were born into poverty? Are we to tell the starving kids in Africa to just yank up the ole' bootstraps?

Another thing we focus on is who "deserves" what. We collectively accept that those who have things, "deserve" those things. Those who don't have them don't "deserve" them. What criteria are we using to determine who deserves what? Money? That's IT?

And not all rich people earn their money. Money received through dividends and rents etc. are not earned at all. Let's all agree that money makes money without any work on the part of the rich person. When you are rich, your money works for you to make more and more. You sit back and play with yourself while you demand that everyone else "work harder" and talk of your own greatness in "deserving" everything you have because you "earned" it.

Not everyone has the same opportunity, intelligence level, heck, even friends. Word of mouth gets more people's foot in the business doors than anything else.

The whole thing is a complete fallacy and a crock. People are greedy and twisted, wicked things.

And if you are Christian then yes, absolutely you are obligated to give to the poor. It is in the Bible pretty much constantly. There's no way out of that one. In fact to even BE Christian you're told to give up everything (even your families) and follow Christ. Remember the rich man who went away all sad because he had lots of nice stuff and couldn't give it up? He's who today's Christians are, but they pretend that Jesus is down with that. This store up your treasures in Heaven stuff surely didn't refer to THEM, right?

Old 09-18-2015, 05:48 PM

366 posts, read 494,159 times
Quote:
A nasty drunk, who can't hold a job and he qualifies for all kinds of help, including tax payer funded rehab 3 times, tax payer funded jail time too. And when he gets sick we the tax payer will pay for his medical care until he's dead. Oh and by the way... he loves Obama and also thinks the rich "should pay their fair share" LOL. Too bad he won't use some of that money we the tax payer give him to buy toothpaste to brush his teeth. He said he could care less what other people think.
Gee, whatever happened to there but for the grace of God go I? Or the fact that Christians are not owners of what they have but merely stewards. Everything they have is God's, not theirs. They couldn't get out of bed in the morning without God. Man, are there ANY Christians in the world anymore????

We just crap on our fellow man because right now, we are comfortable and "deserve" our comfort and we'll never, ever be that nasty drunk guy, eh?

Old 09-18-2015, 05:49 PM

Que the violins!

Old 09-18-2015, 05:55 PM

52,267 posts, read 52,686,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LolaSonner View Post
Gee, whatever happened to there but for the grace of God go I? Or the fact that Christians are not owners of what they have but merely stewards. Everything they have is God's, not theirs. They couldn't get out of bed in the morning without God. Man, are there ANY Christians in the world anymore????

We just crap on our fellow man because right now, we are comfortable and "deserve" our comfort and we'll never, ever be that nasty drunk guy, eh?
There are plenty of good people out there regardless of what faith or lack of faith that they adhere to.

Kindness and decency should be secular.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies