Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2015, 08:39 AM

2,573 posts, read 3,505,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
Where are we getting that the school was not evacuated and bomb squad was not on the scene? Other than social media memes, I have seen zero mention of this in the news.
Try this

https://www.texastribune.org/2015/09...uslim-student/

Old 09-18-2015, 10:02 AM

3,105 posts, read 3,836,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
What would happen if this kid walked through the airport with something like this? Or as someone mentioned on C-D on another thread, what do you think would have happened if this class was on a field trip to the White House and this was found in the kid's backpack? Even with it not being a bomb, I think he still would have been questioned for hours without his parents, especially at the White House.
Exactly this... as I said in the other thread that was deleted...

I dare anyone to go through airport security (or WH security) with a similar looking device. Lets see what happens to you, after all it's just a clock, so you should be OK to take it on a plane or into the WH, right? Right? If you're not Muslim, then you should be waved though and maybe even invited to the WH, facebook or MIT for building a clock.

And IMHO, no one at that school is qualified to determine if it's a bomb (or part or a bomb). The school should have been evacuated and the bomb squad called to search and investigate. Nothing to do with the kids being Muslim and everything thing to do with proper safety protocol.

Also that's enough probable cause to have the kids/parents internet records pulled and examined for bomb building searches. I agree it's 99.999% likely that he's just a geek and not a terrorist, but we don't take ANY chances when it comes to our children and our schools. 99.999999999% of people clearing airport security don't have shoe bombs, but we all had to take our shoes off...

Gotta love these armchair engineers that know zip about electronics, saying they can tell it's not a detonator.

I suppose they'd be OK with kids bringing unloaded gun to school, since you know, it's just some metal and can't hurt anyone without the bullets (explosives). It's only 1/2 a gun

Last edited by Colorado^; 09-18-2015 at 10:40 AM..

Old 09-18-2015, 10:35 AM

15,537 posts, read 10,512,774 times
" If they thought the clock was a bomb, why wasn't the school evacuated? "

Because at some point they figured out it was not a bomb but a look-a-like device. Which is also very much against the law, they take that seriously too. You know, ever since Columbine schools have been getting pretty darn strict about stuff. Anywho, that's why the school wasn't evacuated. I don't think it had anything to do with the kid's religion at all.

Old 09-18-2015, 10:58 AM

25,586 posts, read 17,310,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viceversa View Post
Because they didn't think it was a bomb. They just wanted to humiliate the little Muslim Boy. It backfired though. As the kid was invited to visit MIT.... Even received recognition from Facebook founded Zuckerberg, Obama and more.

Something to think about. If it was a bomb, why wasn't the school evacuated? Why was the "bomb" placed in the cop car instead of being safely destroyed like they do with other homemade bombs?
Turn out the kids father is a muslim activist.
Briefcase Clock Maker Ahmed Mohamed Is Son of Muslim Activist…. | The Last Refuge

Does this look like a clock? Why would someone design a clock to look like this?
Because it is a statement; not a clock.

Old 09-18-2015, 11:05 AM

39,875 posts, read 26,532,311 times
Maybe he can bring his plumbing project to school next week.

http://images1.browardpalmbeach.com/...e_bomb_oct.jpg

Old 09-18-2015, 11:45 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,321,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Briefcase Clock Maker Ahmed Mohamed Is Son of Muslim Activist…. | The Last Refuge

Does this look like a clock? Why would someone design a clock to look like this?
Many aren't questioning the reasonableness of inquiring into what the fourteen year old was carrying.

What we question is the reasonableness of arresting him, handcuffing him, taking him to a detention facility, fingerprinting him and finally suspending him for three days of school. This treatment was heavy-handed under the circumstances and reasonable people would admit that.

I think we all ought to at least ask ourselves if this would have happened to a white kid, or even a non-Muslim teenager. Maybe the answer is that it would have. However, I am skeptical.

Frankly, I am a little tired of having every heavy-handed action in this country justified by someone saying "Remember 9-11, blah blah blah". Well a whole bunch of innocent people were killed by terrorists on that day, but it doesn't justify depriving everyone in the country of all their rights either.

Old 09-18-2015, 12:39 PM

19,230 posts, read 17,105,490 times
I understand school protocol but why did they worry it seems that all the school shoot-ups and bombings are done by middle class white kids....

Old 09-18-2015, 12:40 PM

2,573 posts, read 3,505,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post

It may surprise you but Yes it does. If you use chips and ICs to build even a small calculator (which again will not have a nice display that you use to but rather some printed circuit boards/ICs/some wires/LEDs and such) it will look like this. His teacher should have been smart enough to figure out this is not a bomb. And apparently they were but still called the police.

Old 09-18-2015, 12:58 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,112,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
From what I hear, MacArthur High School is a minority school, with mostly Hispanics, but also a fair number of black, white, and Asian students. It sounds like my kids' school, and no one there is racist. All schools have rules, and this kid broke them. I think the handcuffs were stupid, but after seeing and reading more about this story, I think the kid probably said some stuff that got him there. They apparently didn't think it was a bomb, but the kid brought it to school knowing it looked like one because he said he put a cord around it so it would not look like a bomb. His teacher told him to hide it from other teachers. Why didn't he keep it in his classroom until the end of the day? Why did the kid carry it around all day? Was he looking for exactly this reaction? There is more to this story I think.
I am on the fence regarding this story, I first thought that the school and local cops overreacted (especially with the handcuffs) but after seeing the picture of this 'clock' I can see why there was such concern about the device.

http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopo...dent-clock.jpg
^ You have to admit that this does raise eyebrows.

Like you I think there is a little bit more to the story, maybe he was being bullied? I don't know, but I think there is some background that the media isent reporting/doesent know.

Old 09-18-2015, 12:59 PM

25,586 posts, read 17,310,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha_1976 View Post
It may surprise you but Yes it does. If you use chips and ICs to build even a small calculator (which again will not have a nice display that you use to but rather some printed circuit boards/ICs/some wires/LEDs and such) it will look like this. His teacher should have been smart enough to figure out this is not a bomb. And apparently they were but still called the police.
It was a set-up and was probably orchestrated by his activist father. His father wanted the kid to carry something that looked like a bomb, but wasn't so that a statement could be made about persecuted Muslims.

Quote:
So there you have it folks, Ahmed Mohamad did not invent, nor build a clock. He took apart an existing clock, and transplanted the guts into a pencil box, and claimed it was his own creation.
Reverse Engineering Ahmed Mohamed’s Clock… and Ourselves. | Tech Voice
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies