Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2015, 01:15 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,037,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reynard32 View Post
Well, DC and surrounds comprise one of the most highly educated areas in the country. There are lots of challenging, high-paying jobs of the sort that enable those few who can qualify for them to make their way toward fat-and-sassy land. Sadly, the bus somehow breaks down for a lot of people who would like to come to the area.
It's also one of the most corrupt and wasteful areas of the country because of it's connections to the federal government, lobbyist and other people looking to suckle tax dollars. There are plenty fat and sassy lands all over this country, most are a lot cleaner and a whole lot prettier than DC though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2015, 01:43 PM

19,029 posts, read 14,209,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reynard32 View Post
Reading this was like listening to a model railroader describe how he conceived and built the backdrops and buildings for Imaginary City, the large urban hub on his HO layout. All very creative and original, but with no apparent connection to reality at all.
Thank you for the kind words of support.
Since you offered no facts in rebuttal, I accept your capitulation.
And the personal insult is high praise, indeed.
Thank you.

Old 09-20-2015, 01:45 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,636,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESK85 View Post
Brazil?
Indeed. This is why the Middle Class, what's left of it, has abandoned the DNC and establishment candidates from the GOP.

Old 09-20-2015, 02:21 PM

62,968 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Comparing a wide open frontier hundreds of years ago without immigration laws or borders to today is totally ridiculous. The Europeans did not break any laws by coming here. The ancestors of the so-called natives migrated here just like the Europeans did. It's just plain stupid to use the past as an argument against our immigration laws today and the number of immigrants or refugees we decide to allow in here. We have a population of over 320 million today with shortages of jobs and resources.

Old 09-20-2015, 02:21 PM

73,024 posts, read 62,622,338 times
I'm 29. I'm not concerned so much on the racial composition of USA in 20 years. My concern is how will we treat each other 20 years from now. Will we truly be united in 20 years? We have never really been united through this nation's history. And I have to consider this. Are we dealing with a collision course, are do we have alot of fear mongers stirring things up so bad that we don't know what is what?

Old 09-20-2015, 02:23 PM

123 posts, read 105,353 times
With an introduction of 30 million low-skill/no-skill illegal (and to some extent legal) aliens to this country it will have catastrophic results...perhaps already being seen to some extent. In 20 years we will see a lot more of the carnage such an abnormal non-organic form of population introduction will have.

We will have the left-wing liberal progressives to thank for the horror that will be permanent serfdom - a majority under-class.

Old 09-20-2015, 03:05 PM

Quote:
With an introduction of 30 million low-skill/no-skill illegal (and to some extent legal) aliens to this country it will have catastrophic results...perhaps already being seen to some extent. In 20 years we will see a lot more of the carnage such an abnormal non-organic form of population introduction will have.

We will have the left-wing liberal progressives to thank for the horror that will be permanent serfdom - a majority under-class.
You have right wingers to thank for that too. Reagan did amnesty. Other Republicans have been soft on illegal immigration.

Truth is, very few elite politicians have a stake in curbing illegal immigration. When one lives around the very wealthy, an interesting dynamic takes place. One can limit one's experience with illegals to the gardener, the landscaper, maid, and other barely skilled occupations. I also theorize this. I suspect that some people see illegals as a cheaper source of labor. One can pay one under the table. Workers who are here LEGALLY will be paid American wages.

Truth is, most of the persons posturing are more concerned about money than anything else. I'm not surprised that there are people who will go soft on illegal immigration. It is about getting the lowest bidder.

Old 09-20-2015, 03:30 PM

123 posts, read 105,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
You have right wingers to thank for that too. Reagan did amnesty. Other Republicans have been soft on illegal immigration.

Truth is, very few elite politicians have a stake in curbing illegal immigration. When one lives around the very wealthy, an interesting dynamic takes place. One can limit one's experience with illegals to the gardener, the landscaper, maid, and other barely skilled occupations. I also theorize this. I suspect that some people see illegals as a cheaper source of labor. One can pay one under the table. Workers who are here LEGALLY will be paid American wages.

Truth is, most of the persons posturing are more concerned about money than anything else. I'm not surprised that there are people who will go soft on illegal immigration. It is about getting the lowest bidder.

So tell me....how will be adding 30 million illegal aliens to the workforce give us legals and natives leverage when we want to make more per hour?

I'd love to see you spin how that is in any way going to give us natives even the slightest bit of benefit.

Old 09-20-2015, 03:59 PM

Quote:
So tell me....how will be adding 30 million illegal aliens to the workforce give us legals and natives leverage when we want to make more per hour?

I'd love to see you spin how that is in any way going to give us natives even the slightest bit of benefit.
I never said adding 30 million illegals was a good idea. I said both sides are soft on the issue because it's all about the money for them. People who are here legally and working for American wages are likely seen as a burden to those who want cheaper labor.

In one state, prisoners were used once illegals were chased out. Didn't help those here legally. The ones who don't care are the ones with nothing to lose, or something to gain from illegal immigrants.

Old 09-20-2015, 04:42 PM

35,703 posts, read 21,063,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I never said adding 30 million illegals was a good idea. I said both sides are soft on the issue because it's all about the money for them. People who are here legally and working for American wages are likely seen as a burden to those who want cheaper labor.

In one state, prisoners were used once illegals were chased out. Didn't help those here legally. The ones who don't care are the ones with nothing to lose, or something to gain from illegal immigrants.
In one state, prisoners were used once illegals were chased out. where is this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies