Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2015, 04:37 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,550,525 times

Advertisements

I notice the pope isn't opening the Vatican to muslim invaders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2015, 04:43 PM

39,081 posts, read 51,259,863 times
The GOP is not indifferent to the poor. Their philosophy on how to improve the lot of the poor is different is all. They believe that a hand out is not the best way. The many failures of the War on Poverty approach and the growth of a dependent class in America raises a serious question if they are right about that.

Old 09-24-2015, 04:45 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,204,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
The GOP is not indifferent to the poor. Their philosophy on how to improve the lot of the poor is different is all. They believe that a hand out is not the best way. The many failures of the War on Poverty approach and the growth of ta dependent class in America raises a serious question if they are right about that.
Pull yourself up by the bootstraps isn't a philosophy that will aid poverty in this country.....

The biggest failure on the war on poverty is that it isn't and shouldn't be a war. I would rather we work on solutions than trying to create hyperbolic headlines.

Old 09-24-2015, 04:59 PM

5,461 posts, read 3,237,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Capitalism is the greatest economic model in human history and is responsible for lifting billions out of poverty. The poorest person on this planet is better off than the poorest person on Earth in the 1600s, around the time capitalism was developed.

That said, it is time for the GOP to recognize that Capitalism and free markets, for all of its benefits, still leaves people behind and to heed the words of Jesus when he said "the poor you will always have with you." (Mark 14:7)

This is why I am voting for John Kasich, he is a man with sound conservative principles, but has consistently acknowledged that our system still leaves people behind and that they need to be helped.
I don't know anyone who thinks that Capitalism will bring prosperity to every single person. And EVERY system 'leaves people behind'. But that's not a flaw with Capitalism. People aren't 'left behind' because of Capitalism. People are unsuccessful for many reasons, often personal.

Old 09-24-2015, 05:04 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,215,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBen View Post
By the eye test- I see people who live lavishly have very messed up lives. Some are frauds and are broke or seriously in debt but play pretend to show the Jones they are keeping up. Some have terrible family relationships ; divorced; alienated children. Some have drug problems. Some just work so much so they can show off luxury but are never home with their spouse and kids.
To wise people -Money is definitely not everything.
There is a study (I will try to dig it up) that showed a direct correlation of increased square footage of the home to lack of closeness of the family.
Doesn't surprise me honestly. Its one of the reasons I basically forced my nephews/nieces to have their computers in the living room or computer room, instead of their bedrooms. Otherwise I would never see them. When my nephew had his computer in his room, I wouldn't see him sometimes for like a week straight during the summer. He would take food and soda in there, and only come out to use the restroom(which was right outside his bedroom door, so you still wouldn't see him, only hear him).

My plan worked pretty good, until my nieces started using cell phones and don't even use the computer anymore, except every once in a while to play the Sims.

At my mother's house, it was so big, just walking across it seemed like an ordeal. Sometimes I would get a phone call, someone looking for my mother or someone else, and I would have to trek across the house to find them. At my sister's house, it is basically a three-story(its like a weird split-level two-story with a basement). My nephew's room is in the basement. His parents room is on the second-floor. He has to trek up two staircases, and another 50+ feet, to get to her room. Though, he is a super hermit, and no one there really bothers him.

Their policy is basically, as long as he goes to school, he can do what he wants(which I think is a bad policy, but whatever).

In all honesty, I'm always imagining how my life would be different if I didn't have the internet and a computer. Or even, no electricity, among other things. I jokingly told my nephew the other day that I was going to turn off the electricity. He didn't like that idea. So I was like "think about how good of shape we would be in if we didn't have electricity"(he has been trying to get in shape recently).

I can't lie, sometimes I wish "artificial light" had never been invented. But that doesn't mean I'm going to throw away all my led lightbulbs/lamps(or my computer for that matter).

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...s-off-at-dusk/

Old 09-24-2015, 06:05 PM

26,512 posts, read 15,092,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
And Sanders is seeing his poll numbers increase, while Hillary continues to see hers decrease.

But continue to think Hillary has this primary in the bag because she makes a great lightning rod while Republican overlook Sanders.
I never said Hillary has the primary in the bag. Are you in Junior High and still forming logic and critical thinking skills?

The fact that compulsive liar Hillary is still in 1st place and has a very high favorability rating with Democrats (70% to Bernies 56%) tells you that you have to worry about Democrats electing her.

Don't be a sheep for the parties...your initial comment applies to both parties not just the one you dislike.

Old 09-24-2015, 06:10 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,374,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Bernie Sanders against John Kasich might actually be a good race, but I don't have any faith in the GOP voters when it comes to picking their candidates.
Considering your support for Hillary you have no room to complain about anyone else's candidates. Sorry the worst of the GOP isn't as corrupt as your favorite.

Old 09-24-2015, 06:28 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,839,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Capitalism is the greatest economic model in human history and is responsible for lifting billions out of poverty. The poorest person on this planet is better off than the poorest person on Earth in the 1600s, around the time capitalism was developed.

That said, it is time for the GOP to recognize that Capitalism and free markets, for all of its benefits, still leaves people behind and to heed the words of Jesus when he said "the poor you will always have with you." (Mark 14:7)

This is why I am voting for John Kasich, he is a man with sound conservative principles, but has consistently acknowledged that our system still leaves people behind and that they need to be helped.

Lol, it's the Dems who need to heed the words of Jesus when he said, "The poor you will always have with you."

Old 09-24-2015, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
I never said Hillary has the primary in the bag. Are you in Junior High and still forming logic and critical thinking skills?

The fact that compulsive liar Hillary is still in 1st place and has a very high favorability rating with Democrats (70% to Bernies 56%) tells you that you have to worry about Democrats electing her.

Don't be a sheep for the parties...your initial comment applies to both parties not just the one you dislike.
No, that is what I said, though you seem to ignore data because you clearly don't understand that it is still a long way away from the first primary and Sanders has been closing the gap rather quickly as Hillary has been seeing her support among Democrats fall. Not sure why this logic is lost on you, but whatever, you keep thinking Hillary is the one that is highly favored by Democrats and continue to ignore that her poll numbers are dropping.

So who is it that is being a sheep to the parties? If it is referring to me, then you are mistaken.

Old 09-24-2015, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
Considering your support for Hillary you have no room to complain about anyone else's candidates. Sorry the worst of the GOP isn't as corrupt as your favorite.
And a swing and a miss, you clearly have no clue who my favorite is, and that is okay with me....I am sure you are all googly eyes for Trump.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies