Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2015, 10:41 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitri95 View Post
I thought it was a cute commercial. I'm also gay. Fact is, there are gay people: deal with it. I really don't get why people whine and complain about gays so much? Same thing with that interracial Cheerios ad 2 years ago.
I whine and complain because you tend to be in too good of shape, have good fashion sense, dance well, decorate well, have high disposable incomes and know where the best restaurants are located. You're making us straight men look bad.

(Yes, I know I'm stereotyping.)

Old 10-14-2015, 10:48 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,075,608 times
Cute commercial. Regressives will continue to whine and moan because the world is changing, but the rest of us just move on without them. People with views like the OP are irrelevant and outdated. The world is leaving them behind.

Old 10-14-2015, 10:50 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,434,679 times
Well, it isn't exactly Campbell's soup fault you think this is a political issue

I mean i'm sure there are people who make political issues out of anything. . .mixed races, etc.

plus, campbells owns - Peperidge Farm; Arnotts; etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyandJusticeforAll View Post
Campbells Soup Ad Shows Gay Dads Playing Darth Vader

You are selling soup, if you want to have political causes and or statements campbell's soup expect some issues from some of your customers.

Old 10-14-2015, 11:00 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Let's look at this ad logically.

Campbells Soup is trying to make money by utilizing all of the hype that is forthcoming due to the upcoming release of the new Star Wars movie.

Arguably, one of the most, if not the most, famous lines from the movie franchise is "Luke, I am your father."

Generally speaking, consumers like ads that feature cute kids and are humorous.

This ad with the two fathers battling each other with the famous Star Wars line while interacting with their cute child works on every level. It is cute and funny while keeping strong relevance to the Star Wars tie-in concept. Having two fathers not only works, but is kind of integral, for how this ad plays out. It's not like they had an ad and stuck in two fathers - "Oh, here's an idea, let's swap out the wife for another man." The ad only truly works with the two dads, and it wouldn't work well at all with a man and a woman, IMHO.

Other people may disagree, but I found this ad to be cute and a good fit for their Star Wars promotion.

Old 10-14-2015, 11:16 AM

5,252 posts, read 4,676,657 times
Anyone over fifty can certainly remember the days when TV was pretty much for white folks, today we see blacks, native Americans, and every other stripe of human diversity one could imagine on TV and movies. The OP is obviously suffering a little bit of nostalgia for the days of TV being devoid of all social commentary. I'm sure the OP will recover with very little residual trauma from his latest shocking episode of modern day reality..

Old 10-14-2015, 11:17 AM

1,793 posts, read 1,441,975 times
Their soups sucks.

Old 10-14-2015, 11:17 AM

25,848 posts, read 16,528,639 times
Creepy. Why wasn't it a little girl, or better yet, a voluptuous teenage girl OR boy. I mean if they are trying to shock their customers into buying more soup.

Idiots.

Old 10-14-2015, 11:34 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,636,949 times
Quote:

I saw this last night watching one of my shows on DVR.

This is my op.

I don't care how you want to sell soup. I don't care if you want to show the changing faces of families.

You are selling soup, if you want to have political causes and or statements campbell's soup expect some issues from some of your customers. If you in the business of promoting whatever social change expect some "family groups".

Will I not Buy Campbells soup now? I will buy whatever soup I want and I don't care for the companies politics. I will buy soup and when I am buying soup I have many options and progresso, lipton etc etc . Maybe they just need to show their soup, you know the thing they are selling. But, what is campbell's selling in this ad?

In order for campbells to sell this soup they needed starwars and 2 gay dads. Interesting the soup is that BAD.
If they were really willing to go all out on this AD. Make the campbells soup CAN rainbow colored darth vader. They can upset starwars fans :-) and family groups at the same time.
You were probably watching a program that research has found that a lot of gays like.

Old 10-14-2015, 11:38 AM

4,472 posts, read 3,825,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
How is showing a gay couple in a commercial a political cause or a promotion of social change? When there are straight families on a commercial it isn't political. Some people need to stop being such babies about gay people.
Because gay couples make up a VERY tiny portion of the population. Why cater to them?

Old 10-14-2015, 11:41 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Quote:

I saw this last night watching one of my shows on DVR.

This is my op.

I don't care how you want to sell soup. I don't care if you want to show the changing faces of families.

You are selling soup, if you want to have political causes and or statements campbell's soup expect some issues from some of your customers. If you in the business of promoting whatever social change expect some "family groups".

Will I not Buy Campbells soup now? I will buy whatever soup I want and I don't care for the companies politics. I will buy soup and when I am buying soup I have many options and progresso, lipton etc etc . Maybe they just need to show their soup, you know the thing they are selling. But, what is campbell's selling in this ad?

In order for campbells to sell this soup they needed starwars and 2 gay dads. Interesting the soup is that BAD.
If they were really willing to go all out on this AD. Make the campbells soup CAN rainbow colored darth vader. They can upset starwars fans :-) and family groups at the same time.

Oh, are you offended? I thought the whole movement now is not to be offended at everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies