Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2015, 11:13 AM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sspistol View Post
I thought all of those types of positions were where they put teacher's who repeatedly demonstrated that they have no business teaching a classroom full of children but had the safety of tenure and the union to keep them from being fired.
Any principal who can't get rid of a bad teacher is a lousy principal who doesn't know how to do his job. Tenure is a big deal at universities, not such a big deal in K-12.

Old 10-19-2015, 11:20 AM

5,461 posts, read 3,235,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reynard32 View Post
The entire school district is less than half the size of my local high school, and the shutdown comes not because of Obamacare, but because the county board has not been able to get taxes passed.

From the article: "The straw that broke the camel's back was really the Affordable Care Act..."

QED

Old 10-19-2015, 11:30 AM

21,877 posts, read 25,146,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reynard32 View Post
You plainly know only a very select group of people. No doubt many among them are one-time free-rider wannabes who -- being invincible and all -- never did bother to buy any insurance or only bought policies that wouldn't actually have paid anything if something had gone wrong. We all know that people get needed care in an emergency whether they pay for it or not, so hey -- why pay?
It mirrors my experience. The cheapest coverage under Obamacare was 62% more expensive than my previous health insurance. The only real advantage is I get three free primary care visits per year, otherwise they're basically the same thing for me specifically. But really that's just obvious. You're paying for people with pre-existing conditions now, paying for women who are more expensive, not allowed to opt out of maternity coverage. I was paying more so cigarette smokers can have cheaper insurance but at least they fixed that. Of course it's more expensive. I didn't have any pre-existing conditions and now everyone pays for those that do. I'm male and men use less medical care than women, now we both pay the same premiums as insures can't charge women more because they're more expensive. I'm male and cannot get pregnant but part of my premiums cover maternity for other women because maternity coverage is required and insurers can't charge women more than men even though they're more expensive.

You can view all of those as either positives or negatives. Most of those are things that are both. I agree with pre-existing conditions as insurance is, for most people, linked to their employment. If they have a pre-existing condition and then lose their job and wind up like 14-15% of the workforce is as self-employed, well... damn. Sucks for them. They didn't exactly wait until they had a problem and then run to go buy insurance when their house was on fire. Women cost more which is why their premiums are more expensive. That one is pretty clear cut to me. Sorry women, I don't believe in discrimination on the basis of sex so, yes, you should be charged more in my opinion. I also don't believe in discrimination on the basis of age and they are (and should be) charged more. It's not because they're older. It's because they're more expensive. Same deal. Maternity coverage is the one I see as less clear cut. On the one hand, I really don't see it as at all my responsibility to pay for someone else's child. On the other hand, maternity coverage is very expensive because no one who isn't planning on having a kid buys it. At the same time you have accidental pregnancies. It's not exactly fair to women that they get saddled with all of the cost as it takes two to tango. I'm more of an individualist at the end of the day though. Certainly if I got someone pregnant, I'd help with the financial costs. But why I or anyone else, including women, should pay for other people's kids I don't get.

It's a shift in what individual insurance means really to attempt to make it behave more like group insurance when it's not. It's individual insurance. If you want maternity coverage, get maternity coverage. It's very difficult to get a good OB/GYN who takes insurance or Medi-Cal (Medicare) anyway. Most won't deal with it, although that may be changing. Having maternity coverage with a $10,000 deductible would make the most sense to me. That was available and didn't cost much. You were buying insurance rather than prepaying for medical services. The deductible was above the average cost to have a baby but if someone went wrong you had it.

Old 10-19-2015, 11:40 AM

32,025 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
The county declined a 20 cent property tax hike.

District has been on fall break. Parents brought suit against the district and classes will resume, as scheduled.

This county is one of the most impoverished in the nation, mostly white, low income, high welfare and Republican. The teacher's union has very limited collective bargaining rights.
Sounds like this thread should be called "School district in trouble despite Obamacare."

Old 10-19-2015, 11:59 AM

25,574 posts, read 17,286,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
You seem to be very poorly informed. What makes you think that all Republicans take this/these position(s)?

I'm a registered republican, but I'm also atheist. Evolution cannot be denied by any rational individual, I'm in favor of vaccination programs, but I don't think that schools should have athletic fields unless the sports franchises want to pay for them- taxpayers are mandated to educate children in readin' writin' and 'rithmatic, but they shouldn't be funding sports programs.

You can't paint everyone with the same brush.
No they can't.

But in order to believe their Utopian nonsense of a perfect world with unlimited resources for education, they must force themselves to believe in a dystopian model which is preventing them from succeeding.

Neither is true, of course.

Old 10-19-2015, 12:11 PM

2,936 posts, read 2,334,944 times
If Tennessee would adopt the Medicaid expansion, this wouldn't be happening.

Old 10-19-2015, 12:47 PM

8,232 posts, read 3,492,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I was going to rep you until you said, "Bush looked like a scared rabbit at that school he was visiting. When he was told we were attacked." I couldn't disagree more. To me he looked like a man who was thinking -- I'm in a setting with children...what's the best way to exit this scene and get to the most important issue at hand.

And I'm a Democrat.
I saw a stunned look. He did the right thing by not immediately reacting to it.

Old 10-19-2015, 01:13 PM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Sounds like this thread should be called "School district in trouble despite Obamacare."
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHa View Post
If Tennessee would adopt the Medicaid expansion, this wouldn't be happening.
Yes it would. Whether or not increased insurance cost have a significant impact on the financial woes IDK, but most likely this is a ploy to get a property tax increase passed. It has been tried before in other counties.

School districts get the majority of their funding thru property taxes. This is a small, rural, poor county and no one wants a 20% hike. In my opinion administration is top heavy which just adds to the funding problems these poor rural school districts have.

Old 10-19-2015, 01:48 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirron View Post
???

It doesn't matter how small the district is, there are still over 1100 students sitting idle until they can figure something out. They already have high property taxes, so they don't want to raise those. This district was doing fine until being forced to cover employees via the "Affordable" care act.
Their property taxes aren't high.

Clay County's tax rate is 3.1 mils. If you have a house that would sell for $100,000.00, which is on the high end in Clay County, the value for property tax purposes is 25% or $25,000. And the tax is 25,000 x .031 which is $775.00.

Old 10-19-2015, 02:09 PM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Their property taxes aren't high.

Clay County's tax rate is 3.1 mils. If you have a house that would sell for $100,000.00, which is on the high end in Clay County, the value for property tax purposes is 25% or $25,000. And the tax is 25,000 x .031 which is $775.00.
Property taxes are low in TN in comparison to other states but keep in mind so are wages. The median household income in Clay is ~29,000. Sales tax is 9.75% and food is also taxed.

So what may seem low to others could be a burden for a family living on 29K to absorb and additional tax hike.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies