Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2015, 09:04 AM

285 posts, read 176,853 times

Advertisements

There has been a lot of discontent lately with political correctness in regards to minorities.

But I wonder whether people would also be willing to not shut down speech that criticizes America or is somehow "un-American" (like saying something that is not respectful to the military).

Are people wanting to eliminate political correctness only on one front, or is it for everything? I genuinely don't know, which is why I ask.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2015, 09:10 AM

549 posts, read 625,776 times
Conservatives are DYING to call black people the n-word, and use racial slurs against other minorities. And conservative males have a festering hatred against women. Especially college-educated, intelligent, professional women.

But because they can't (due to modern social norms) they hold their bubbling rage inside. And then they blame an imaginary boogeyman of their own creation.

And that boogeyman they invented is a thing they call "political correctness."

Old 11-28-2015, 09:10 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,754,224 times
Can't speak for others.

Short of libel/slander and shouting "fire", no matter how horrible I think someone's speech is - for instance Westboro Baptist - I'd never support limiting their right to say what they think.

Old 11-28-2015, 09:12 AM

13,303 posts, read 7,872,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Can't speak for others.

Short of libel/slander and shouting "fire", no matter how horrible I think someone's speech is - for instance Westboro Baptist - I'd never support limiting their right to say what they think.
How else would anyone be able to identify them?

Old 11-28-2015, 09:13 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times
Free speech. Period.

Old 11-28-2015, 09:20 AM

4,983 posts, read 3,291,808 times
Meh

Old 11-28-2015, 09:22 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,986,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kool Krab View Post
There has been a lot of discontent lately with political correctness in regards to minorities.

But I wonder whether people would also be willing to not shut down speech that criticizes America or is somehow "un-American" (like saying something that is not respectful to the military).

Are people wanting to eliminate political correctness only on one front, or is it for everything? I genuinely don't know, which is why I ask.
If someone says something that I don't agree with, I will tell them that I don't agree with it. I will not, no matter how strongly I feel that person is wrong, under any circumstance, create a riot, storm a capital building and demand for the books to be re-written to silence this person.

Free speech is a fundamental right in this country. If you can't get along with others, chances are we will read about you shooting up a Planned Parenthood clinic or something, or just save up your cash and move somewhere where free speech isn't tolerated, like Russia.

What's wonderful in this country is you can say whatever you pretty much please to say with some exceptions (death threats to the POTUS, fire in a crowded building, etc), and the other side of the the argument (the ones pro-military using your example) can blast you in return.

Old 11-28-2015, 09:27 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,394,892 times
i was thinking about the minority group that wants to removed the carving from stone mountain, and removing statues because it offended a group of people. all in political correctness, my question is, and i know it will happen, when are they going start censorship and start burning books. you know it going happen, if they can erase history because they one n word like in the mark twain book.

they will start burning books again, because government loves censorship, only what we tell you is history. It has already started with some fact checking in today text books which are wrong

Old 11-28-2015, 09:37 AM

23,561 posts, read 17,237,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kool Krab View Post

first, PC goes way beyond 'minorities'.

2nd, respect should be shown to all that deserve it.

the social justice hypersensitivity makes a mockery of respect and weaponizes the concept to serve political agendas. you need to be trained well to fear or 'hate' something.

Since when has derogatory speech directed toward America or politicians not been allowed.

Problem is some communities under the spell of gang law have adopted the practice of causing physical harm if perceived to be offended by word, dress or look. Someone calls you a name there is no legal justification to harm that person. Bet most people don't know that.

Old 11-28-2015, 09:38 AM

30,373 posts, read 19,170,654 times
I hate political correctness...I prefer the truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies