Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2015, 10:48 PM

17,623 posts, read 17,682,949 times

Advertisements

Great job. Now the students and university should really take a brace stand and refuse to accept any state funds until the flag is changed! Common brave university and students, take a stand that really matters and isn't merely symbolic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2015, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
This thread is about the Confederate flag in Mississippi and how a group of students decided they didn't want it representing their school any more. The Confederate flag is still revered by many in the South, but obviously not this younger generation. Which has exactly what to do with the North immediately following the Civil War?

Oh that's right, absolutely nothing.
I believe the point he/she was trying to make is people constantly refer to the south as racist, especially in regard to the Civil War. However, history is written by the victors and the north, back then and today, have a long history of racism as well. The reconstruction wasn't all roses and love. There were acts of retribution carried out by Union soldiers against the people of the south during and after the civil war. What each region experienced depended upon the troops stationed there and the local culture. Sure, the Confederate States ended about a hundred fifty years ago and people should stop waiving the confederate battle flag, but some northerners should also let go of the hatred and bigotry towards the south that dates back that same hundred fifty years.

Old 10-27-2015, 12:15 AM

3,830 posts, read 4,664,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
I believe the point he/she was trying to make is people constantly refer to the south as racist, especially in regard to the Civil War. However, history is written by the victors and the north, back then and today, have a long history of racism as well. The reconstruction wasn't all roses and love. There were acts of retribution carried out by Union soldiers against the people of the south during and after the civil war. What each region experienced depended upon the troops stationed there and the local culture. Sure, the Confederate States ended about a hundred fifty years ago and people should stop waiving the confederate battle flag, but some northerners should also let go of the hatred and bigotry towards the south that dates back that same hundred fifty years.
Except the south was still being racist over a hundred years after the civil war ended.

Old 10-27-2015, 12:31 AM

1,796 posts, read 1,662,111 times
Just hoping that everyone realizes that the flag that Ole' Miss students (and faculty and staff, for that matter) voted against flying is the MS state flag which incorporates the Confederate Battle flag but is not that flag itself. It's likely (and this ain't just me talking, it's MS state legislators, including Rs.), that the issue of redesigning the MS state flag will come up for a referendum-style vote as soon as 2018. FWIW, there have been similar discussions/surveys/votes happening at other MS state schools.

So really, this decision should be seen within the larger context of a state-wide conversation among Mississipians about their flag. See the Clarion-Ledger and/or Mississippi Public Broadcasting for more.

Old 10-27-2015, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperionGap View Post
Except the south was still being racist over a hundred years after the civil war ended.
Riiigghhtttt, there's no racism in the north. <sarcasm>

Old 10-27-2015, 04:57 AM

4,983 posts, read 3,291,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
So, because you don't agree with Ole Miss taking a Confederate flag down from a public university, you want to see the school lose funding?

Well, if Ole Miss loses funding, they could go private, and attract rich students from all over, like other private universities do.
If the students have a problem with that States racist flag then the students should have a problem with that racist states money.

Old 10-27-2015, 05:50 AM

27,145 posts, read 15,322,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Good for the students who spearheaded this campaign. This shows that even in the South, the younger generations have little tolerance for the bigotry still held by many of their elders.

I wonder what the youths are doing in New York to protest the rampant bigotry there.

BTW, born and raised there so I've seen it.

Old 10-27-2015, 06:03 AM

57,301 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
I wonder what the youths are doing in New York to protest the rampant bigotry there.

BTW, born and raised there so I've seen it.

Biggotry does not equate to slavery.

Old 10-27-2015, 06:16 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,226,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Agreed. That's kinda silly. Kids go to U of M knowing damn well what their history is and they certainly know that it's located in Mississippi.

I'm not defending their dumb flag, but if I found it THAT offensive, I'd just go to an out of state school.
Very well said.

Old 10-27-2015, 06:59 AM

1,796 posts, read 1,662,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Agreed. That's kinda silly. Kids go to U of M knowing damn well what their history is and they certainly know that it's located in Mississippi.

I'm not defending their dumb flag, but if I found it THAT offensive, I'd just go to an out of state school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Very well said.
Really? So no one ever has a reason to even discuss change? Believe me, that is all people in my much-maligned recently-adopted state are doing--discussing. One may very well argue that its citizens are doing so on misguided grounds, that they are facing outside pressure for doing so, and that if they are doing so with good will that such change would only amount to window dressing. All of that may be true, but it is all arguable, and people should be free to discuss. Conversely, one could criticize people in MS for any number of other reasons regarding their flag and how they feel about it and why or why not they might want to change it using some kind of democratic means.

Given that we all (hopefully) agree that we live in a society in which we can discuss, agree, and disagree, why should we dismiss the discussion that is going on here out of hand? The students made their voices heard within a larger cultural conversation, and good for them. They are well within their rights to do so, and we'll see what happens beyond the tiny town of Oxford.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies