Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2015, 07:33 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,233,828 times

Advertisements

Unhappy with the number of potential black jurors called to his court last week, Jefferson Circuit Court Judge Olu Stevens halted a drug trial and dismissed the entire jury panel, asking for a new group to be sent up.
“The concern is that the panel is not representative of the community,” said Stevens, who brought in a new group of jurors despite objections from both the defense and prosecutor.
And this wasn’t the first time Stevens, who is black, has dismissed a jury because he felt it was lacking enough minorities. Now the state Supreme Court is going to determine whether the judge is abusing his power.

Political correctness run amok.

Louisville judge questioned for dismissing juries based on lack - WDRB 41 Louisville News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2015, 07:35 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,450,477 times
Of course he is abusing his power, most do and it goes unchecked.

Old 10-27-2015, 09:54 AM

8,653 posts, read 6,136,760 times
He did the right thing! Juries should be made up of your peers..

Old 10-27-2015, 10:00 AM

3,674 posts, read 10,608,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
What is the preferred definition of Peer? Should a rape trial include only probable rapists as jurors? Should a white defendant expect only white jurors?

I would have expected the word peers means simply fellow citizens and nothing more. I agree that the local jurisdiction may have a very different demographic than another jurisdiction and therefore the potential jury will have a significantly different demographic makeup, but isnt the pool simply a subset of those citizens that responded to the summons? Unless the Judge is trying to make the point that the jury pool is being manipulated somehow, I don't see the validity of the charge. He should accept the jury pool demographics as being representative of the citizenry willing and able to participate in the system.

Old 10-27-2015, 10:05 AM

4,899 posts, read 3,556,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrex62 View Post
What is the preferred definition of Peer? Should a rape trial include only probable rapists as jurors? Should a white defendant expect only white jurors?

I would have expected the word peers means simply fellow citizens and nothing more. I agree that the local jurisdiction may have a very different demographic than another jurisdiction and therefore the potential jury will have a significantly different demographic makeup, but isnt the pool simply a subset of those citizens that responded to the summons? Unless the Judge is trying to make the point that the jury pool is being manipulated somehow, I don't see the validity of the charge. He should accept the jury pool demographics as being representative of the citizenry willing and able to participate in the system.
agree. what's next, an all Islamic terrorist symp jury for suspected terrorists?

Old 10-27-2015, 10:07 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,827,388 times
So is the judge saying black people should show up for jury duty instead of skirting their civic duty.

Old 10-27-2015, 10:09 AM

19,220 posts, read 17,102,322 times
Quote:
Does this mean an adequate number of drug users need to be present in the pool? Will this same philosophy be acceptable when a jury is dismissed because there are not enough whites or Asians?

Old 10-27-2015, 10:12 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,830,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
So is the judge saying black people should show up for jury duty instead of skirting their civic duty.
Where do you get this info?

I am black and have been called and shown up for Jury Duty every time except when I was pregnant or nursing my youngest child.

They never put me on a jury.

My husband is called at least once a year and is one of those people who wish they are chosen. They never pick him.

I read before that during the jury selection process, that prosecutors are less apt to pick black jurors because black people are more sympathetic to defendants and are more apt to believe that police corrupted or manufactured evidence. I can see how that is true.

I'll try to pull up that information for you later.

But I know a lot of black people and all of us have been called for jury duty at least once and all of us have gone at least once and none of us have been chosen for a jury except 2 people that I know.

I worked with a white man in Atlanta who was also called every year and he has served on multiple juries before.

Old 10-27-2015, 10:13 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,074,696 times
Quote:
Something tells me you wouldn't have the same opinion if they were dismissed because they were black.

I had jury duty recently, there is small population of blacks in my area but they were very underrepresented in the jury pool. Indians who have an even smaller population were better represented.

Old 10-27-2015, 10:18 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,956,603 times
The 13-member jury chosen for a theft trial ended up with no black jurors. There is something wrong with the process when the local population has lots of blacks but none serve on juries.

The judge's ruling was correct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies