Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2015, 01:06 PM

4,899 posts, read 3,556,787 times

Advertisements

The SC incident sparked a lot of question around why are cops being used to discipline students. They are not trained to deal with snot nosed, belligerent children acting up in class.

Shouldn't their jobs be relegated to protecting the community from criminals?

ETA: I am fine with them being on campus for security reasons, but not to discipline bratty kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2015, 01:11 PM

45,435 posts, read 60,638,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
The SC incident sparked a lot of question around why are cops being used to discipline students? They are not trained to deal with snot nosed, belligerent children acting up in class.

Maybe. But the program of placing sworn officers (as opposed to sworn school system security personnel) began during the Clinton Administration.

Some agencies have used to program to increases head count, others as an extension of community policing. Sometimes both at the same time.

So, the program begins at the federal level so you'll have to start there since grant money is involved.

In actuality police officers are trained to deal with snot nosed individuals of any age.

Old 10-28-2015, 01:12 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,708,545 times
Technically they are trained they are Resource Officer's for the school.

They work very closely with the students of the school it's a very community oriented approach. Such as this SC officer was the assistant coach for the school's football team.

The way school's are it's a way to curb violence by student's, offer extra security, prevent bullying, and illegal activities. Many teachers aren't allowed to touch the students any more.

The resource officer works with teacher's and able to know different approaches to different student's.

So yes they should be. Should be two though.

Old 10-28-2015, 01:14 PM

4,983 posts, read 3,293,592 times
Not if the black population of the school is above 13%.

Old 10-28-2015, 01:17 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,882,766 times
To stop a violent crime, yes. To give an avenue for a student to talk to, yes. To do a teachers job of maintaining order in the classroom, no.

It's like when a parent tells her bratty kid, "that policeman is going to put you in jail if you don't behave".

Old 10-28-2015, 01:20 PM

45,435 posts, read 60,638,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
To stop a violent crime, yes. To give an avenue for a student to talk to, yes. To do a teachers job of maintaining order in the classroom, no.

It's like when a parent tells her bratty kid, "that policeman is going to put you in jail if you don't behave".

This thread is likely in response to the SC incident.

Very few, if any, teachers expect the SRO to do classroom management. We only have seen the end of the incident, we don't know (or at least I haven't seen it) what led up to the Deputy being called.

Did Administrators call him? Did they respond? I don't know.

We/I also don't know what exactly occurred between the SRO and student.

Old 10-28-2015, 01:21 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,635,782 times
Quote:
Do cops belong in schools?
My answer would have once been "when required".

But that has changed to "When the community wants them to be there."

This doesn't just apply to schools, I think it should apply to actual neighborhoods.

If people don't want there to be cops in their neighborhood or school, I say pull them.

I will gladly either have them patrol my neighborhood or have my taxes reduced to pay for them where they aren't welcomed.

Old 10-28-2015, 01:22 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,708,545 times
Trust teachers can't maintain order in classrooms. Most of the kids are huge, violent, and unruly. They are loud and disrespectful. They use their cell phones in class, listen to music in class, start dancing in class, and sleep in class. Some of them have knives. Teacher's can't restrain students anymore without getting in trouble. Students don't respect most teachers anymore.

Old 10-28-2015, 01:22 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,635,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
This thread is likely in response to the SC incident.

Very few, if any, teachers expect the SRO to do classroom management. We only have seen the end of the incident, we don't know (or at least I haven't seen it) what led up to the Deputy being called.

Did Administrators call him? Did they respond? I don't know.

We/I also don't know what exactly occurred between the SRO and student.
Essentially, the girl refused to comply with the teacher. The teacher called the vice principal. She refused to comply with him. He then called the cops. She refused to comply with the cop and things went haywire from there.

Old 10-28-2015, 01:23 PM

23,566 posts, read 17,245,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
The SC incident sparked a lot of question around why are cops being used to discipline students. They are not trained to deal with snot nosed, belligerent children acting up in class.

ETA: I am fine with them being on campus for security reasons, but not to discipline bratty kids.
Actually the chronic disruptions should be enough to kick out the kids depriving the others of an education.

We need alternate schools to seperate the wheat from the chaffe, not the shore patrol or henry kissinger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies