Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2015, 04:34 PM

42,862 posts, read 26,322,713 times

Advertisements

The problem is that those kind of laws have unintended consequences, look at what happened with HB56 in Alabama:

Why Americans Won't Do Dirty Jobs - Businessweek

Alabama is still paying for its immigration crackdown | MSNBC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2015, 08:44 PM

1,251 posts, read 2,578,868 times
Alot in the Eastern half

Old 10-31-2015, 11:45 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,237,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"Doubt it"

Of course you do.

By the way, what is the topic of this thread?

It HAS STARTED ALREADY.
Lol...not really.

Old 11-01-2015, 02:32 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,917,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
The problem is that those kind of laws have unintended consequences, look at what happened with HB56 in Alabama:

IMHO the REAL reason some employers like illegal aliens is because they're good little "slaves" who don't dare speak up when being screwed over, Americans and even legal aliens CAN fight back. Too; less than 5 percent of illegals are even working on the farms, the rest are stealing jobs from skilled trades people and pushing down their wages.

Old 11-01-2015, 02:40 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,066,842 times
Don't current laws already cover this?

Old 11-01-2015, 05:08 AM

12,045 posts, read 6,581,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post

There have also been articles showing Americans flocking to jobs once illegals leave them.
It's not clear cut.
Unfortunately, there is a growing entitlement mentality with Americans, and many have lost the work ethic.
We need to turn this around, and it will take a while.
Able-bodied welfare recipients should be required to work these jobs if employers can't find applicants, and then with some of the money we save from illegals, perhaps we can supplement the low pay.
It's cheaper than all the money we spend on illegals, plus we would be getting Americans back to work, creating a work ethic, and lowering the welfare numbers.

Just an idea.

Old 11-01-2015, 06:16 AM

63,007 posts, read 29,194,251 times
Alabama growers didn't use the unlimited H-2A visas for legal, foreign crop pickers so they only have themselves to blame with the crackdown of illegal aliens (not immigrants) in that state. There are no jobs that Americans won't do for a fair wage. Who did them before the arrival of cheap, illegal labor? Let's put that lie to rest, shall we?

Old 11-01-2015, 06:35 AM

59,185 posts, read 27,371,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
So basically the illegals all moved in when the democrats controlled North Carolina...okay, well keep us updated, I am sure this will mean that all the illegals will quickly move out of North Carolina....
You do come up with some dumb "interpretations" of what people say.

That is why I give you ZERO credibility.

I'll try just once but, I seriously doubt you will understand.

The dems CONTROLLED the N.C. legislature for 100 straight years. Do understand so far?

Illegals have been coming into the state for years, which is part of that 100 years. Are you still with me?

The repubs took control of the state legislature EXCEPT the governorship in 2010.

The repubs were BLOCKED from doing some things because the DEM governor blocked them. Are you still here?

The repubs FINALLY took COMPLETE control a couple of year ago.

It takes a few years to get things under control.

To your childish statement, "So basically the illegals all moved in when the democrats controlled North Carolina..."

YES MOST of the illegals came in when the DEMS controlled N.C.

And yes some have come in now that the repubs control N.C. The DIFFERENCE is, THE REPUBS ARE DOING SOMETHING ABOUT IT. The DEMS did NOTHING TO DISCOURAGE ILLEGALS FROM COMING TO THE STATE.

I tried to put this at a grade school Level, so even you could understand BUT, I HAVE MY DOUBTS.

Old 11-01-2015, 06:58 AM

35,738 posts, read 21,093,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Alabama growers didn't use the unlimited H-2A visas for legal, foreign crop pickers so they only have themselves to blame with the crackdown of illegal aliens (not immigrants) in that state. There are no jobs that Americans won't do for a fair wage. Who did them before the arrival of cheap, illegal labor? Let's put that lie to rest, shall we?

yes---- illegals have a link-- they have their own kind of word of mouth communication- and I will say it 1 million times- they go where they know they will get jobs- the children that came or are coming in droves are in search of parents or relatives that are working. There are 6 yr old kids working in the fields in Destin Fl- all types of companies cannot out bid the lower wage contracts because they know they can make it by paying less to illegals- Even some time ago the BORDER wall govt contract was won by the lowest bidder and it was full of illegals!

A fence-building company in Southern California agrees to pay nearly $5 million in fines for hiring illegal immigrants. Two executives from the company may also serve jail time. The Golden State Fence Company's work includes some of the border fence between San Diego and Mexico.

Border Fence Firm Snared for Hiring Illegal Workers : NPR

make E-verify mandatory

Old 11-01-2015, 08:11 AM

42,862 posts, read 26,322,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
There have also been articles showing Americans flocking to jobs once illegals leave them. it's not clear cut...Able-bodied welfare recipients should be required to work these jobs if employers can't find applicants, and then with some of the money we save from illegals, perhaps we can supplement the low pay. It's cheaper than all the money we spend on illegals, plus we would be getting Americans back to work, creating a work ethic, and lowering the welfare numbers. Just an idea.
I haven't read the articles that you mention, but I will look again. The problem with welfare recipients is that nearly 90% are female and they would replacing a workforce that consists of strong, fit younger men. A bushel of apples, peaches or pears weighs around 50 pounds, most women can lift 50 pounds, but can they do it a hundred times a day? So I think maybe it's an idea that makes some people who think people on welfare are wastrels feel good, but I don't see that it is in any way practical.

At least for farm labor I don't think we have a lot of viable options to using immigrant labor, but it should be easy to streamline the issuance of work visas, right now farm employers almost universally refuse to use them because they have to commit to a certain number of workers long before they know what they will need for their harvest season.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies