Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2015, 12:21 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,458,676 times

Advertisements

Now with Carson recycling old conservative bilge about "if only the Jews hadn't been disarmed, there would not have been a holocaust", let's examine this as rational humans with brains. Even a reasonably competent middle schooler can figure this one out.

Jews in Germany circa 1930s: around 505,000 or 0.75% of the population.

Germany: Jewish Population in 1933

Size of Wehrmacht circa 1930s: around 4,722,000

Statistics and Numbers

What kind of a simple idiot believes that the 505K representing less than 1% of the population, even if bristling with guns, would have made it past the 4.7M with superior armaments?

And beyond that, as usually is the case, history is more nuanced than what dense people would have you believe. Carson and conservatives like to say that all Germans were disarmed. That's a lie; in fact, if anything, gun restrictions were loosened for non-Jewish Germans in the 1930s.

Fact-checking Ben Carson's claim that gun control laws allowed the Nazis carry out Holocaust | PolitiFact

Why do conservatives always keep spreading these tired old lies around like manure? I thought Carson was a smart guy who evidenced the effectiveness of his brain cells with his career in neurosurgery. What happened to him? Did he just get completely stupid and senile once he put down the stethoscope?

Old 10-31-2015, 01:00 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,227,522 times
I stopped responding to that dumbass analogy long ago. Total canard.

Old 10-31-2015, 01:08 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,858,743 times
while they may not have made it past the german army, they would ahve done a lot of damage to that army given teh chance.

Old 10-31-2015, 01:17 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,761,687 times
And some of them did.

The other part of this lie is that Jews passively awaited their fate.

That's not true.

Old 10-31-2015, 03:28 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,227,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
while they may not have made it past the german army, they would ahve done a lot of damage to that army given teh chance.
Lol...amazing.

Old 10-31-2015, 03:31 AM

7,646 posts, read 9,956,572 times
There is no talking to a liberal anti-gun zealot. Don't bother you will never make sense to them.

Here's the deal - if you don't want to own guns, don't buy one, nobody is forcing you.

But don't tell ME what I can or can't do with my constitutionally protected right to arms and my human right to self protection.

And YES, if the jews had been armed as well as probably a million americans are, and had they not lined up like sheep to slaughter, they WOULD have stopped the Germans from rounding them up and sending them to camps. Just as in America, if the government tried to disarm the country and the People chose to fight, rather than meekly give in to tyranny and oppression, there is no way the military could prevail. Many would die, maybe millions but the People could stop them, and millions of jews may have died away - but if you are going to die - die standing up!

You need to remember we already live in a police state where we have secret military tribunals, where we keep prisoners in places designed to deprive them of all outside contact and drive them crazier than they are like SuperMax, and we already imprison people for years on end without trial or charges (Guantanamo). It will be a very small step from that to the government to start putting gun owners and internet bloggers into gulags.

We, the People have already allowed the government to turn us into a country of tyranny that we never imagined we would live in.

Old 10-31-2015, 04:49 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,728,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
There is no talking to a liberal anti-gun zealot. Don't bother you will never make sense to them.

Here's the deal - if you don't want to own guns, don't buy one, nobody is forcing you.

But don't tell ME what I can or can't do with my constitutionally protected right to arms and my human right to self protection.

And YES, if the jews had been armed as well as probably a million americans are, and had they not lined up like sheep to slaughter, they WOULD have stopped the Germans from rounding them up and sending them to camps. Just as in America, if the government tried to disarm the country and the People chose to fight, rather than meekly give in to tyranny and oppression, there is no way the military could prevail. Many would die, maybe millions but the People could stop them, and millions of jews may have died away - but if you are going to die - die standing up!

You need to remember we already live in a police state where we have secret military tribunals, where we keep prisoners in places designed to deprive them of all outside contact and drive them crazier than they are like SuperMax, and we already imprison people for years on end without trial or charges (Guantanamo). It will be a very small step from that to the government to start putting gun owners and internet bloggers into gulags.

We, the People have already allowed the government to turn us into a country of tyranny that we never imagined we would live in.
And you deflated your entire argument with the last sentence. Because it is, sadly, very true.

And what role were guns and their owners playing as we slid down this steep and slippery slope? Uh-huh....same as always....filling the nightly newscasts with new stories of gruesome personal tragedy - nothing more. That is all they have done for the last century and all they will ever do going forward from here.

But what does pro-gun zealotry, with it's close association with political conservatism, do best? It makes it easy to dismiss and brush aside other conservative positions and conservatism generally. But that won't stop most of my fellow conservatives from shooting themselves in the foot every day.

Old 10-31-2015, 04:54 AM

6,395 posts, read 6,282,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post

But don't tell ME what I can or can't do with my constitutionally protected right to arms and my human right
to self protection.

I thought this thread was about idiotic arguments regarding gun control??

Oh wait- i get the irony. You are just adding a few more!

And PS- most Jews *did* die standing up- in the gas chambers/furnaces. And owning a gun is not a "human right."

Old 10-31-2015, 05:42 AM

38,644 posts, read 26,398,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Now with Carson recycling old conservative bilge about "if only the Jews hadn't been disarmed, there would not have been a holocaust", let's examine this as rational humans with brains. Even a reasonably competent middle schooler can figure this one out.

Jews in Germany circa 1930s: around 505,000 or 0.75% of the population.

Germany: Jewish Population in 1933

Size of Wehrmacht circa 1930s: around 4,722,000

Statistics and Numbers

What kind of a simple idiot believes that the 505K representing less than 1% of the population, even if bristling with guns, would have made it past the 4.7M with superior armaments?

And beyond that, as usually is the case, history is more nuanced than what dense people would have you believe. Carson and conservatives like to say that all Germans were disarmed. That's a lie; in fact, if anything, gun restrictions were loosened for non-Jewish Germans in the 1930s.

Fact-checking Ben Carson's claim that gun control laws allowed the Nazis carry out Holocaust | PolitiFact

Why do conservatives always keep spreading these tired old lies around like manure? I thought Carson was a smart guy who evidenced the effectiveness of his brain cells with his career in neurosurgery. What happened to him? Did he just get completely stupid and senile once he put down the stethoscope?

PolitiFact?

Old 10-31-2015, 06:15 AM

59,111 posts, read 27,349,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
And you deflated your entire argument with the last sentence. Because it is, sadly, very true.

And what role were guns and their owners playing as we slid down this steep and slippery slope? Uh-huh....same as always....filling the nightly newscasts with new stories of gruesome personal tragedy - nothing more. That is all they have done for the last century and all they will ever do going forward from here.

But what does pro-gun zealotry, with it's close association with political conservatism, do best? It makes it easy to dismiss and brush aside other conservative positions and conservatism generally. But that won't stop most of my fellow conservatives from shooting themselves in the foot every day.
"filling the nightly newscasts with new stories of gruesome personal tragedy -"

If the "news' reported the times a gun was used to thwart a crime or when people defend themselves, which happens 10 times MORE, MAYBE THE PUBLIC WOULD HAVE A DIFFERENT OPINION THEN THE ONE FORMED BY THE ONE SIDED COVERAGE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies