Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2016, 11:31 AM

6,928 posts, read 5,906,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Sex also helps take the edge off...
Exactly. And it's a lot funner (and easier) to make a baby than it is to raise a child well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2016, 11:39 AM

6,732 posts, read 5,174,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
As I said, ambivalent. They (takes two, you know) kind of want a kid; kind of don't. Kind of want some government money; kind of don't. Kind of did it on purpose; kind of didn't.
Also, don't differentiate so much between 17 and 27 year olds. There ain't much different anymore......a lot of the same thinking/behaviors.
This all applies to poor people mostly, but not entirely.
The thread is about raising healthy kids right; not about fiscal welfare policy.
There's not a lot of difference between a 17-year-old and a 27-year-old? Uh, wow.

The OP asked why do poor people have kids. Based on my experiences working with and being around youth, I answered. Not sure why you're so bent out of shape over my post. He asked for a why, and I gave him a why.

Quote:
People like you are part of the reason why things are NEVER going to change..........you want to keep things from even being discussed.
I have no idea where you pulled that from. Oh wait, no I do know where you pulled that from, so put it back, I guess. While you're doing that, I'll wait for you to quote where I even insinuated such a thing.

Why do you even think I would be around potentially at-risk youth in the first place?

Quote:
My "edge" IS a bit rough at the moment--thanks for asking! Memorial Day coming up....ahhhh
Yeah, maybe after Memorial Day, you should start looking for a new career, good grief.

Quote:
Sex also helps take the edge off...
To my point earlier, pregnancies happen. Like I said, poor people often have sex for the same reasons middle class and upper class people have sex.

I'm not saying it's right, wrong or the only explanation. I'm simply making a statement. Some do it for the benefits, some do it for "love" and sometimes it's a mistake.

Old 05-20-2016, 11:49 AM

6,928 posts, read 5,906,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
There's not a lot of difference between a 17-year-old and a 27-year-old? Uh, wow.

The OP asked why do poor people have kids. Based on my experiences working with and being around youth, I answered. Not sure why you're so bent out of shape over my post. He asked for a why, and I gave him a why.

I have no idea where you pulled that from. Oh wait, no I do know where you pulled that from, so put it back, I guess. While you're doing that, I'll wait for you to quote where I even insinuated such a thing.

Why do you even think I would be around potentially at-risk youth in the first place?

Yeah, maybe after Memorial Day, you should start looking for a new career, good grief.

To my point earlier, pregnancies happen. Like I said, poor people often have sex for the same reasons middle class and upper class people have sex.

I'm not saying it's right, wrong or the only explanation. I'm simply making a statement. Some do it for the benefits, some do it for "love" and sometimes it's a mistake.
Maybe YOU need a new career!!
Haha, I guess I told you.

I have no idea what you do with at risk kids. What I do is try to help kids to be healthy and happy.

Old 05-20-2016, 12:08 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,760,060 times
And then there are the duggers and bates who produce like rabbits and the tv industry supports these people.

Old 05-20-2016, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Maybe YOU need a new career!!
Haha, I guess I told you.

I have no idea what you do with at risk kids. What I do is try to help kids to be healthy and happy.
I don't do that as a living, I volunteer. But, great response. Pretty much what I expected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
And then there are the duggers and bates who produce like rabbits and the tv industry supports these people.
Don't forget Octomom and those MTV teen pregnancy shows.

But, yanno, they're not poor and the average Murican worker doesn't have to pay for their food stamps and diapers, so it's okay.

Old 05-20-2016, 12:16 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,424,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veezybell View Post
This is a serious question. Why do poor people have so many kids, knowing that they can't even afford the first one? Why can't people be more responsible and hold off on having kids until they can provide better lives for them? Isn't that somewhat selfish on the parents' behalf?
Because they don't care and have too much time on their hands. And the social safety net encourages it.

Old 05-20-2016, 12:18 PM

37,106 posts, read 41,277,178 times
Quote:
The reality is that students performing at the top of the class in 4th grade tend to be the same students performing at the top of the class in 12th grade, due to many factors that tend to remain stable in students' lives: family, lifestyle, resources, etc.

Being branded with a low IQ at a young age, in other words, is like being born poor. Due to family circumstances and the mechanisms of society, most people born poor will remain poor throughout their lives. But that doesn't mean anyone is *innately* poor or destined to be poor; there is always potential for any poor person to become rich.

The happy reality is that IQ scores:
A) measure developed skills, not native intelligence.
B) can change dramatically.
C) don't say anything about a person's intellectual limits.

You might say it's "the numbers game."
IQ scores may not be the best way to measure native intelligence, but that does not mean native intelligence does not exist. Not everyone will have the ability to become a neurosurgeon, no matter what resources he has or how diligently he applies himself. I would say that there is potential for some poor people to climb out of poverty; that's obvious, since they do it. I do not believe it is possible for any poor person to become rich, short of winning the lottery.

Downward mobility happens, too. Offspring of successful people are not always successful, despite their family, lifestyle, and resources.

Those who are born poor but have the ability and motivation to escape it will do so. Those who are born poor and lack either the ability or motivation will not do so. In particular, those who are poor who reproduce without obtaining the skills to support themselves are digging a deep hole to climb out of.

Old 05-20-2016, 01:33 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,940,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewGuy2016 View Post
Because they having sex veezy! Why else do you think people are having children?
I thought this is why the left was fighting for "free birth control" was the fight for nothing? Something made up to make poor people look like the ones needing something they are still not being provided.....which leaves people blaming poor people, again for the worries of the world.

When will the progressives stop shaming others?

Old 05-20-2016, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
I thought this is why the left was fighting for "free birth control" was the fight for nothing? Something made up to make poor people look like the ones needing something they are still not being provided.....which leaves people blaming poor people, again for the worries of the world.

When will the progressives stop shaming others?
Lol, again, this is elementary. Poor people more than likely do not have access, nor do they have the means to purchase Plan B as a backup plan, and they probably don't readily have access to other forms of contraception and the proper channels for that. They probably shouldn't be having sex under those circumstances, but it's such a natural thing, that people are doing to do it anyways.

However, we can't just dump free contraception on their doorsteps and expect birthrates to plummet (although they have declined for blacks and Hispanics). Poor people that are in no position to have children absolutely need to be more responsible for their actions, however part of that can be attributed to the lack of education on safe sex practices and resources. So, along with easier access to contraception needs to come education. Will every poor person take initiative to be educated? Of course not, some lack the motivation and prefer to mooch of the government.

It's not blaming or shaming, it's a statement based on fact, experience and exposure.

Old 05-20-2016, 02:36 PM

29,551 posts, read 9,725,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
IQ scores may not be the best way to measure native intelligence, but that does not mean native intelligence does not exist. Not everyone will have the ability to become a neurosurgeon, no matter what resources he has or how diligently he applies himself. I would say that there is potential for some poor people to climb out of poverty; that's obvious, since they do it. I do not believe it is possible for any poor person to become rich, short of winning the lottery.

Downward mobility happens, too. Offspring of successful people are not always successful, despite their family, lifestyle, and resources.

Those who are born poor but have the ability and motivation to escape it will do so. Those who are born poor and lack either the ability or motivation will not do so. In particular, those who are poor who reproduce without obtaining the skills to support themselves are digging a deep hole to climb out of.
Not sure I need this explanation or what the purpose of the explanation may be. Most is pretty obvious to me or plainly evidenced as you point out. Is there a point you are wanting to make or some sense we disagree about any part of your comment?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies