Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2016, 06:04 PM

6,393 posts, read 4,116,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Well, education is out. The Dems INSIST on keeping disadvantaged kids trapped in their sub par public schools. They adamantly won't agree to school choice/vouchers for all so that ALL kids and their families can access better educational opportunities. What we NEED to improve education is competition. A government monopoly on anything, as we've seen time after time after time, is a race to the BOTTOM.

So, now... jobs. Well... that's ALSO a problem. Dems keep INSISTING we allow illegal immigration, and to let illegals already here stay in the country and work. They compete DIRECTLY with low-income workers for jobs. The glut keeps wages artificially depressed.

So... Now, what?
You mean the same private schools that will teach God created the universe in 6 days and the earth is only 6 thousand years old? No thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2016, 06:42 PM

35,703 posts, read 21,063,743 times
Quote:
Well, education is out. The Dems INSIST on keeping disadvantaged kids trapped in their sub par public schools. They adamantly won't agree to school choice/vouchers for all so that ALL kids and their families can access better educational opportunities. What we NEED to improve education is competition. A government monopoly on anything, as we've seen time after time after time, is a race to the BOTTOM.

So, now... jobs. Well... that's ALSO a problem. Dems keep INSISTING we allow illegal immigration, and to let illegals already here stay in the country and work. They compete DIRECTLY with low-income workers for jobs. The glut keeps wages artificially depressed.

So... Now, what?
Did you not see my lengthy post somewhere in the politics forums that red states are poorer and have less education? Just quoted the facts... And I can tell you many of those failed i9 inspections companies were run by republicans. Hmm hmm guess I'll have to research that for you too. Oh I quote pew , census, non partisan stuff mostly . Just facts .

Old 05-29-2016, 01:18 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,438,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
I can pay for your passport so you can travel and live in your fantasy utopia where life is perfect-- not sure where that is though? Germany used to think in the same manner- the world didn't agree and well now there are no Germans.
There are no Germans?

Last I heard, there are about 100 million of them in Germany alone.

There should be no welfare for poor women who keep having children.

Period.

Old 05-29-2016, 05:47 AM

89,030 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
You mean the same private schools that will teach God created the universe in 6 days and the earth is only 6 thousand years old? No thanks.
You DO realize taxpayer money already goes to religion-affiliated schools, no? Pell Grants, scholarships, government-sponsored student loans, research grants, etc., go to Notre Dame, Georgetown, Boston College, Emory University (which a few years ago successfully treated the two US citizen Ebola victims, AND works VERY closely and frequently in tandem with the CDC), etc., etc. How do their students turn out?

Furthermore...
Quote:
"It's true that controlling for socioeconomic status (SES) eliminates most of the public-school/private-school differences in achievement-test scores in math, reading, science and history. But even after you control for SES, Catholic schools run by holy orders (not those overseen by the local bishop) turned out to perform better than other schools studied. True, as the study says, there are only a small number of religious-order schools. But the data suggests that the type of school a kid attends does affect how well he will do — and that we could learn something from how holy orders run their schools. The Center on Education Policy, however, is an advocacy group for public schools, so it didn't look into why holy-order schools are succeeding where others fail...

While controlling for SES eliminated most public school/private-school differences in achievement test scores, it did not eliminate differences in the most widely used test of developed abilities, the SAT. (As I explained more fully here, developed abilities are those nurtured through schoolwork, reading, engaging a piece of art, and any other activities that spark critical thinking. Developed abilities aren't inborn traits but honed competencies, more akin to athletic skill gained through practice rather than raw IQ. By contrast, achievement tests measure the amount of material students have committed to memory in any particular field.) Combined with high-school grades, SAT scores are the best predictor of how kids will do in their freshman year of college. And the data in the new study shows that private-school students outperform public-school students on the SAT.

Isn't that just because richer private-school kids can afford to be coached more before the SAT? No — remember that this study carefully controlled for socioeconomic status. Rather, it appears private schools do more to develop students' critical-thinking abilities — not just the rote memorization required to do well on achievement tests."
Are Private Schools Really Better? - TIME

It appears you've been brainwashed into accepting deliberately deceptive groupthink propaganda without questioning it. But, hey... you sure "memorized" it well. So there's that.

Old 05-29-2016, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Did you not see my lengthy post somewhere in the politics forums that red states are poorer and have less education?
Think about why that is... Look at their demographics.

Don't you agree those are EXACTLY the people who could use access to a better education the most?

Old 05-29-2016, 07:37 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,341,304 times
I would not be in favor of subsidies for private schooling if that private school is run by or is heavily influenced by any religion. This would be a clear violation of the constitution and would be abused in half a minute.

Private schools with no religion involved only, thanks.

Old 05-29-2016, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
I would not be in favor of subsidies for private schooling if that private school is run by or is heavily influenced by any religion. This would be a clear violation of the constitution and would be abused in half a minute.
You're too late to the game. Perhaps you all should STOP your bigotry:
Quote:
You DO realize taxpayer money already goes to religion-affiliated schools, no? Pell Grants, scholarships, government-sponsored student loans, research grants, etc., go to Notre Dame, Georgetown, Boston College, Emory University (which a few years ago successfully treated the two US citizen Ebola victims, AND works VERY closely and frequently in tandem with the CDC), etc., etc. How do their students turn out?

Furthermore...
Quote:
"It's true that controlling for socioeconomic status (SES) eliminates most of the public-school/private-school differences in achievement-test scores in math, reading, science and history. But even after you control for SES, Catholic schools run by holy orders (not those overseen by the local bishop) turned out to perform better than other schools studied. True, as the study says, there are only a small number of religious-order schools. But the data suggests that the type of school a kid attends does affect how well he will do — and that we could learn something from how holy orders run their schools. The Center on Education Policy, however, is an advocacy group for public schools, so it didn't look into why holy-order schools are succeeding where others fail...

While controlling for SES eliminated most public school/private-school differences in achievement test scores, it did not eliminate differences in the most widely used test of developed abilities, the SAT. (As I explained more fully here, developed abilities are those nurtured through schoolwork, reading, engaging a piece of art, and any other activities that spark critical thinking. Developed abilities aren't inborn traits but honed competencies, more akin to athletic skill gained through practice rather than raw IQ. By contrast, achievement tests measure the amount of material students have committed to memory in any particular field.) Combined with high-school grades, SAT scores are the best predictor of how kids will do in their freshman year of college. And the data in the new study shows that private-school students outperform public-school students on the SAT.

Isn't that just because richer private-school kids can afford to be coached more before the SAT? No — remember that this study carefully controlled for socioeconomic status. Rather, it appears private schools do more to develop students' critical-thinking abilities — not just the rote memorization required to do well on achievement tests."
Are Private Schools Really Better? - TIME

It appears you've been brainwashed into accepting deliberately deceptive groupthink propaganda without questioning it. But, hey... you sure "memorized" it well. So there's that.

Old 05-29-2016, 07:45 AM

Quote:
You're too late to the game. Perhaps you all should STOP your bigotry:
Bigotry of what?

I am not a bigot for being against the idea of religious organizations receiving federal grants. They should not be subsidized in ANY way.

I'm also against the idea of religious organizations or churches being tax free. They are businesses after all, all businesses should pay to play!

Old 05-29-2016, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
Bigotry of what?

I am not a bigot for being against the idea of religious organizations receiving federal grants. They should not be subsidized in ANY way.

I'm also against the idea of religious organizations or churches being tax free. They are businesses after all, all businesses should pay to play!
Emory University (for example) curing the Ebola victims and working in tandem with the CDC should not happen, according to you? Many of our country's best post-secondary institutions should be stripped of all federal funding, according to you?

Bill Clinton is a Georgetown (Catholic, Jesuit) grad.

Read my post. You're cutting off you nose to spite your face.

Old 05-29-2016, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Emory University (for example) curing the Ebola victims and working in tandem with the CDC should not happen, according to you? Many of our country's best post-secondary institutions should be stripped of all federal funding, according to you?

Bill Clinton is a Georgetown (Catholic, Jesuit) grad.

Read my post. You're cutting off you nose to spite your face.
And your building an argument from something that I didn't say. What I said is that religiously affiliated schools should not have federal funding and I will 100% stand by that every single time. It is of no relevance that something good HAPPEN to have happened.

This line of reasoning you are giving could be applied to any organization no matter how distasteful it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies