Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2015, 04:05 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,024,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker15 View Post
How do you feel about that?
If they have a large Muslim population that will cause a lot of students to miss school on that day, I don't see what the problem is. The school just switched a different day off for this date. The students will still be going to school the same amount of days, and this way the school doesn't loose money for not having a high enough attendance record.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2015, 04:07 PM

3,978 posts, read 4,578,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
have a set number of floating holidays for each student. problem solved.
That means the teachers are teaching on December 25th. That's not solving the problem.

Old 11-11-2015, 04:14 PM

6,073 posts, read 4,753,297 times
Quote:
That means the teachers are teaching on December 25th. That's not solving the problem.
sure it is. it's called double time. I haven't celebrated a holiday on the actual date in forever, because I have two brothers with wives. I think we're celebrating christmas on march 6th this year.

problem solved.

no more fighting and whining

Old 11-11-2015, 04:14 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,876,419 times
We already culturally set our recognized holidays. It's been long standing. People who want to change it, should not come here or just leave. Plenty of muslim countries to live in.

Old 11-11-2015, 04:23 PM

45,411 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
If they have a large Muslim population that will cause a lot of students to miss school on that day, I don't see what the problem is. The school just switched a different day off for this date. The students will still be going to school the same amount of days, and this way the school doesn't loose money for not having a high enough attendance record.
About 5% of students and just under 6% of teachers were absent on the day a year or so ago.

Christmas, Jewish holidays scrubbed from school calendar amid Muslim complaints - Washington Times

They won't "lose" any money. Attendance rate in MD is calculated for the year, not by individual days.

19,808 posts, read 9,367,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
have a set number of floating holidays for each student. problem solved.
Do you have any idea of the scheduling nightmare that would involve?

The only solution I can see would be to have year-round school for ALL students and teachers with the schools closed for ALL religious holidays, as long as there are even a few students enrolled in the district who are of that religion.

4,095 posts, read 2,566,254 times
I have never seen any other group that gives so little to others when in majority, and demands the most accommodation when in minority than - the Muslims.

Old 11-11-2015, 04:28 PM

6,073 posts, read 4,753,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
Do you have any idea of the scheduling nightmare that would involve?

The only solution I can see would be to have year-round school for ALL students and teachers with the schools closed for ALL religious holidays, as long as there are even a few students enrolled in the district who are of that religion.
soooo, people who work within the school system would have to keep a schedule? I shouldn't expect so much.

Old 11-11-2015, 04:32 PM

45,411 posts, read 60,592,880 times
The thing is, absence for religious observance is excused in MD in public schools. Staff have to take a personal day, students have to bring in a note.

If schools are open on a religious holiday (this one or others for other recognized religions) no tests may be given that day, no games or practices can be held, no field trips may be taken nor can there be any other type of after school activity (club meetings, tutoring, etc.).

Old 11-11-2015, 04:48 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,024,982 times
Quote:
And on such days a majority of the class would be missing. It would be pointless for the teacher to create a whole day's lesson for two or three students. Its better to just be off the days when a majority of the school will be gone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies