Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 11:11 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,209,678 times

Advertisements

Seems the latest hubbubb is that Richard Clarke's assessment of Condi Rice is more accurate than we were led to believe. During the 9-11 commission it was shown that Condi Rice ignored repeated warnings that a terrorist attack was about to occur. When this was mentioned, Phillip Zelikow basically dismissed these assertions. Now it seems as though Zelikow may have worked with White House aid Karl Rove to downplay Condi Rice's role leading up to September 11th.

Untold Story of the 9/11 Probe | Newsweek News | Newsweek.com (http://www.newsweek.com/id/107492 - broken link)

Buried in the files of former White House counterterrorism czar Richard Clarke, the documents seemed to confirm charges that the Bush White House had ignored repeated warnings about the threat posed by Osama bin Laden. Clarke, it turned out, had bombarded national-security adviser Condoleezza Rice in the summer of 2001 with impassioned e-mails and memos warning of an Al Qaeda attack—and urging a more forceful U.S. government response. One e-mail jumped out: it pleaded with officials to imagine how they would feel after a tragedy where "hundreds of Americans lay dead in several countries, including the U.S.," adding that "that future day could happen at any time." The memo was written on Tuesday, Sept. 4, 2001—just one week before the attacks on New York's World Trade Center and the Pentagon.

Of course in the Bush White House, if you are not qualified as National Security Advisor, then promote them to Secretary of State instead...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2008, 08:51 AM

68,351 posts, read 54,502,307 times
Geez, the poor guys had an Iraq invasion to plan, should we have expected them to actually be concerned with imminent threats?

Old 02-02-2008, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Geez, the poor guys had an Iraq invasion to plan, should we have expected them to actually be concerned with imminent threats?
While Condoleezza Rice is certainly an intelligent woman and she did spend most of her academic career studying the Soviet Union, it was long rumored that the Bush administrations choice to make her the National Security Adviser was foolhardy. It would seem that this is true.

Like Mukasey's 7 month long stutter that he is in the middle of while trying to say waterboarding is torture or not, I suspect by the time this makes the limelight (if at all) Condoleezza will be in her last days and absolutely nothing will be done.

I have to admit, I am amazed at how the Bush administration has handled things thus far. In most cases claiming either ignorance or incompetence as a defense to a plethora of scandal or misdeeds. The only thing more astounding is the level of complacency from the American public.

Old 02-02-2008, 09:11 AM

68,351 posts, read 54,502,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Like Mukasey's 7 month long stutter that he is in the middle of while trying to say waterboarding is torture or not, I suspect by the time this makes the limelight (if at all) Condoleezza will be in her last days and absolutely nothing will be done.

With less than a year to go I expect to hear a lot more stuttering until they're all gone, I think we'll see a circling of the wagons until the entire crew gets out of Dodge.

Old 02-02-2008, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
With less than a year to go I expect to hear a lot more stuttering until they're all gone, I think we'll see a circling of the wagons until the entire crew gets out of Dodge.
Maybe Condi will write a children's book called, "My pet President" or possibly give lectures to inner city school children on how to go from GED to Nation Security Adviser in 12 easy steps?

Old 02-02-2008, 12:48 PM

309 posts, read 366,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Maybe Condi will write a children's book called, "My pet President" or possibly give lectures to inner city school children on how to go from GED to Nation Security Adviser in 12 easy steps?
HAHAHAHA...LOL!
So TRUE, so VERY true!

She might get too rich, once this book gets turned into a Blockbuster hit in Hollywood!
Especially if she writes 12 separate books and each one is a smash like the "Harry Potter" thing!

Old 02-02-2008, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skytripper View Post
HAHAHAHA...LOL!
So TRUE, so VERY true!

She might get too rich, once this book gets turned into a Blockbuster hit in Hollywood!
Especially if she writes 12 separate books and each one is a smash like the "Harry Potter" thing!
Personally I think Condoleezza Rice is an example of celebrity status among politicians. Regardless if she was completely incompetent in performing the function of Sect. of State or National Security Adviser, most will fail to be critical of her for the reason that she isn't confrontational or openly contemptuous. At least Colin Powell had enough soul to feel some shame after the US address to bow out with some grace. I doubt Condi is even aware she is a crony hack.

Old 02-02-2008, 08:35 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,251,763 times
Difficult to determine, in her job the "inside" discussions and the "public" discussions can sometimes be very different, so I don't know that any of us really know her at all.

Old 02-02-2008, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Difficult to determine, in her job the "inside" discussions and the "public" discussions can sometimes be very different, so I don't know that any of us really know her at all.
Doubtful we will ever "know" her, or at least until she writes a book about her experiences. In the meantime we can judge her job performance by the results of her efforts and her responses to various situations that arose when she was the National Security Adviser and later Sect. of State.

From the OP:

Quote:
Buried in the files of former White House counterterrorism czar Richard Clarke, the documents seemed to confirm charges that the Bush White House had ignored repeated warnings about the threat posed by Osama bin Laden. Clarke, it turned out, had bombarded national-security adviser Condoleezza Rice in the summer of 2001 with impassioned e-mails and memos warning of an Al Qaeda attack—and urging a more forceful U.S. government response. One e-mail jumped out: it pleaded with officials to imagine how they would feel after a tragedy where "hundreds of Americans lay dead in several countries, including the U.S.," adding that "that future day could happen at any time." The memo was written on Tuesday, Sept. 4, 2001—just one week before the attacks on New York's World Trade Center and the Pentagon.
Maybe she just doesn't know how to use email? For whatever reason she failed to act appropriately and when she attempted to suggest she was unaware at the 9-11 commission hearings, we can then determine she is either quite forgetful or a liar.

For what it is worth, I think she is probably better suited for the role of Sect. of State as she is intelligent and from what I gather, she communicates eloquently and well. However in her role as NSA, she failed miserably.

Old 02-02-2008, 09:55 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,251,763 times
I don't know, but part of the problem could be partitioning and triangulation, two things that happen a lot in Wash DC internal communications. Partitioning is when you break large issues down into multiple components, and then discuss and access risk on each factor, while triangulation is hedging your statements with multiple what if scenarios.

It basically allows those who communicated these concerns to say "I told you so" within the context of a much broader message with multiple mixed aspects.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies