Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2015, 08:25 AM

25,849 posts, read 16,532,741 times

Advertisements

How about the young men have to do a stint in the US military in order to be eligible for citizenship? Let the Marines and Army find out in basic training what they are made of and what they stand for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2015, 09:37 AM

62,970 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
How about the young men have to do a stint in the US military in order to be eligible for citizenship? Let the Marines and Army find out in basic training what they are made of and what they stand for.

I disagree because IMO only Americans should be able to serve in our military or legal resident aliens. As of now, there are limited spaces for recruits in our military. That again would be denying an American an opportunity and most Americans would be loyal to this country at a time of war. Foreigners? Not so much.

Old 11-22-2015, 09:43 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,940,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
It's true...how do you tell who is the "right kind"? You can't.
Give them a United States Flag Hijab or t-shirt and they must be American!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I disagree because IMO only Americans should be able to serve in our military or legal resident aliens. As of now, there are limited spaces for recruits in our military. That again would be denying an American an opportunity and most Americans would be loyal to this country at a time of war. Foreigners? Not so much.
I agree with this.....only makes common sense!

Old 11-22-2015, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Huh? So you are saying that we should test people on their knowledge of religion? That's funny. I know so many people who can't even tell me how many books are in the Bible and claim to be Christian. Maybe we should make them leave? lol Not long ago I said, "there but for the Grace of God go I" and a woman who overheard me thought it was from the Bible. She told me she was surprised I used that expression because I'm Jewish. All I could say was "Oy vey!"

By the way, when did the United States begin allowing refugees or immigrants to settle here based on religion? I can't seem to find it in the Constitution.
Yes, I completely agree here......for one when questions are put together they end up being like polls. They can bend and twist things like the wind in wording a sentence or a poll.

Old 11-22-2015, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
I am just so done with Americans being of the opinion that every single ethnic group, nation and religion in the Middle East are all the same. They can't tell a Shia for a Sunni, can't tell a Druze from a Copt, and probably can't tell a hole in the ground from...
Seems some in one party tend to do this with Americans. Not all poor people are the same, not all seniors are alike, not all blacks and Hispanics are Democrats........yet they put people in their own country in boxes everyday. Yet, you want us to start worrying about people who don't even worry about their own human rights?

Why are you needing young, uneducated, non working men in our country......tell me this?

Old 11-23-2015, 12:49 AM

6,351 posts, read 9,979,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
Take care of them for a " few years"? How many years is a few years?
Five should be sufficient, and they should channel more into helping them learn English to help themselves then giving handouts, I agree.

Quote:
And who pays, and how much? We're bankrupt now, with 18 Trillion in debt!! Why would any sane person be in favor of borrowing more money to take care of refugees from half way around the world, while we are currently trying to manage our own pourus borders with millions of Mexicans and other central American illegals pouring in annually?

First, I notice you ignored my question about Cubans crying a river saying "Castro no bueno!" and they get welfare for life, with no questions asked about what exactly they are fleeing from in Cuba (*cough* probably got caught selling cocaine *cough*)

The same "No Syrians!" people NEVER have an issue with the next "Scarface" showing up in Miami, and never wonder if said "refugee" is a criminal or a communist spy.

And anyway, yes, we are in debt. Most of that debt is do to medicate, medicare, social security and the imperial budget. Actual help to the poor is but a tiny piece of the budget. I would support turning the big three welfare-state programs into co-operative non-prophets, and there is historical precedence for doing so: https://mises.org/library/welfare-welfare-state

Helping a few poor refugees slatted for slaughter is NOT going to make or break us.

Quote:
But let's get something clear ... My use of the terms "good Muslims" and "bad Muslims" was tongue in cheek, as the reality is, there is just one Quran, and therefore, just Muslims. And I suggest you familiarize yourself with some of the verses in that Quran to get a better grip on the nature of this problem. You see, Islam is NOT just a "Religion", but is an entire system which incorporates religion, politics, governing, and criminal justice, that covers every aspect of societal function, which is totally and completely incompatible with western culture and basic liberty. Islam has NO PLACE in America, because it is contrary to our values and our laws. There can be no " co-existence" with it, because the Quran commands all Muslims to convert or subjugate or kill non-Muslims, which are referred to as "Infedels". Only an idiot would welcome into their country a group whose fundamental goal is to dominate and ultimately WIPE OUT the naive welcomers.
I have a degree in Comparative Religion, and I know more about Islam then about 95% of non-Muslims worldwide. I have read the Koran, the Sunnah, and a chunk of the Hadiths. First and foremost, Islamic sacred texts are some of the most boring ever written. But I somehow got through it.

Anyway, let's be honest: the Old Testament is filled with just as much blood-thirsty garbage as the Koran, and the Old Testament is evil incarnate. And I am not the only one to say that. For example there is this gem here:

"You are my war club, my weapon for battle-- with you I shatter nations, with you I destroy kingdoms,
with you I shatter horse and rider, with you I shatter chariot and driver, with you I shatter man and woman, with you I shatter old man and youth, with you I shatter young man and young woman, with you I shatter shepherd and flock, with you I shatter farmer and oxen, with you I shatter governors and officials."

-Jeremiah, 51:20-23

Or

"If thy brother, the son of thy mother, or thy son, or thy daughter, or the wife of thy bosom, or thy friend, which [is] as thine own soul, entice thee secretly, saying, Let us go and serve other gods, which thou hast not known, thou, nor thy fathers; [Namely], of the gods of the people which [are] round about you, nigh unto thee, or far off from thee, from the [one] end of the earth even unto the [other] end of the earth; Thou shalt not consent unto him, nor hearken unto him; neither shall thine eye pity him, neither shalt thou spare, neither shalt thou conceal him: But thou shalt surely kill him; thine hand shall be first upon him to put him to death, and afterwards the hand of all the people. And thou shalt stone him with stones, that he die; because he hath sought to thrust thee away from the LORD thy God, which brought thee out of the land of Egypt, from the house of bondage."

Deuteronomy, 13:6-10

So, in other words, that Bible so many people like to thump is just as filled with blood-thirsty nonsense as the Koran, at least the Old Testament. So...should America not let any Jews move in?

Just as most Jews ignore the "kill them all" parts of the Old Testament, there are entire sects of Islam that ignore the "kill them all" parts of the Koran, like the Ahmadis, the Sufis, the Is'mailis etc.

Quote:
Now, can you see the rather obvious difference between Muslims and Cubans? How often do you see Cubans in the news blowing up planes and buildings ... Chopping off people's heads ... Destroying entire countries with endless civil wars?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marielitos_%28gangs%29

So should we stop accepting them?

Quote:
Listen pal, these people cannot even get along with each other, let alone us. You can blame Bush, but the reality is, Islam is a culture of authoritarianism and violence, and has been throughout its entire existence.
So how many people have the Alevis slaughtered? Have the Sufis ever blown anybody up? Have the Ahmadis killed anyone? Is Tunisia, who elected a secular government, not a Muslim country?

And treating Ahmadis like the Sunni Wahhabis because they are "also Muslim" is like treating the Amish like some Christian-Identity, right-wing militia because they are "also Christian."

Quote:
Do you realize how many conflicts are going on around the world ALL OF THE TIME, non-stop? Do you think we have the space and the resources to bring in and take care of every affected person on this planet? And just who decided it was our duty to take care of everyone?
The difference is this conflict would NOT of happened had American President George Bush had just left Saddam Hussein, arch-enemy of Wahhabist-Qutbism, in power.

Quote:
People have been committing dastardly acts of violence against other people for THOUSANDS OF YEARS. IT IS UNLIKELY TO STOP ANYTIME SOON.
Sounds like Europe before the end of WWII.

Quote:
Our main duty is to not be a participant in committing such violence against others, and offer ourselves as an example, showing these people there are better ways to operate as a society, which does not allow extremism and violence against inocents as a means of forcing entire societies to surrender their lives and freedoms to religious extremist zealots whose behaviors more resemble Satan than God.
I agree, but George W Obama did not. Hence it makes sense to, at the very least, GIVE REFUGE TO THE NON-MUSLIM MINORITIES in Syria. I am not even saying we should take in the Sunnis, I am saying the Druze, Yazidis and absolutely the Mandeans should be allowed in, as should the Christians.

Old 11-23-2015, 12:54 AM

6,351 posts, read 9,979,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Yes, I completely agree here......for one when questions are put together they end up being like polls. They can bend and twist things like the wind in wording a sentence or a poll.

Again, it is a lot easier then that. Christians in that region have, almost all of them, some understanding of the Syriac language. If they do, and come from a certain place (A known Christian village) and are willing to do something anti-Islamic (proclaim Muhammad is not the prophet and then drink alcohol and eat pork and then bow to a cross) it is probably save to say they are not ISIS.

Old 11-23-2015, 01:28 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,172,833 times
Quote:
Again, it is a lot easier then that. Christians in that region have, almost all of them, some understanding of the Syriac language. If they do, and come from a certain place (A known Christian village) and are willing to do something anti-Islamic (proclaim Muhammad is not the prophet and then drink alcohol and eat pork and then bow to a cross) it is probably save to say they are not ISIS.
I know a lot of people who immigrated here from Iran. They are mostly Muslim AFAIK. Most of them don't practice their religion. I was curious about this so I looked up religion and Iran and Iranian immigrants.

Evidently, when you live in Iran, you have to have a religion (the one you are born with) and you cannot switch religions. Iran has several recognized religions (recognized in their constitution) but Muslim is the predominant one.

When people immigrate here from Iran, many of them stop practicing their religion. Some of them convert to Christianity and other religions. Some become atheists and agnostics. It's an interesting topic.

Anyway, I have no idea but you might find a lot of people from Syria will feel the same way the Iranians do once they move here. They may feel more free to be something else or nothing at all. Religious freedom is a wonderful thing.

Old 11-23-2015, 05:42 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,493,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
I know a lot of people who immigrated here from Iran. They are mostly Muslim AFAIK. Most of them don't practice their religion. I was curious about this so I looked up religion and Iran and Iranian immigrants.

Evidently, when you live in Iran, you have to have a religion (the one you are born with) and you cannot switch religions. Iran has several recognized religions (recognized in their constitution) but Muslim is the predominant one.

When people immigrate here from Iran, many of them stop practicing their religion. Some of them convert to Christianity and other religions. Some become atheists and agnostics. It's an interesting topic.

Anyway, I have no idea but you might find a lot of people from Syria will feel the same way the Iranians do once they move here. They may feel more free to be something else or nothing at all. Religious freedom is a wonderful thing.
Even better, is freedom FROM religion.

Old 11-23-2015, 06:54 AM

15,095 posts, read 8,636,857 times
Quote:

First, I notice you ignored my question about Cubans crying a river saying "Castro no bueno!" and they get welfare for life, with no questions asked about what exactly they are fleeing from in Cuba (*cough* probably got caught selling cocaine *cough*)

The same "No Syrians!" people NEVER have an issue with the next "Scarface" showing up in Miami, and never wonder if said "refugee" is a criminal or a communist spy.
I did not ignore your question, as I did address Cubans, even though it was a diversion from the topic at hand. The red herring nature of conflating other immigrant issues, like Cubans, and problems with the proposal to bring in Syrian refugees lacks any form of rationality, and falsely assumes that others agree with allowing anyone into this country without exception. In other words, you want to point to other examples of errored policy in order to justify the next error! That isn't real smart.

Nevertheless, if we are to have an immigration policy at all, one would expect a very thorough security screening to be mandatory, with no room for politically correct thinking, lax criteria, or guesswork. The first step in such security screening would logically require extreme caution in allowing any immigrants from majority Muslim countries embroiled in civil war and long term conflict, for which we already KNOW includes thousands of Islamic Extremist terrorists!!!

Given the fact that we have just witnessed in Paris what carnage 8 "Syrian Refugee" terrorists can inflict, it is mind numbing that we have people like you promoting the mass import of them into our country when it is impossible to screen them adequately. Pure insanity, and nothing less. If security screening was able to claim 99% efficiency (which is not realistic), that 1% that slips through the crack equates to 100 terrorists among those 10,000 refugees. Given what occurred in Paris, those 100 could duplicate that scenario in 12 US cities .... Or 10 separate September 11's!!!

That is the risk YOU are willing to accept on behalf of the rest of us, but WE aren't !!!

Quote:
And anyway, yes, we are in debt. Most of that debt is do to medicate, medicare, social security and the imperial budget. Actual help to the poor is but a tiny piece of the budget. I would support turning the big three welfare-state programs into co-operative non-prophets, and there is historical precedence for doing so: https://mises.org/library/welfare-welfare-state

Helping a few poor refugees slatted for slaughter is NOT going to make or break us.
Ah yes, when someone uses the term "few" ... We naturally think of THOUSANDS? Not.

Quote:
I have a degree in Comparative Religion, and I know more about Islam then about 95% of non-Muslims worldwide. I have read the Koran, the Sunnah, and a chunk of the Hadiths. First and foremost, Islamic sacred texts are some of the most boring ever written. But I somehow got through it.
Please learn about the proper use of " then" and "than".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies