Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2008, 07:43 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
Maybe they don't drop you.. but theyll find a way to raise your insurance.Once you lose or change jobs, you may lose and have a hard time finding insurance for sure!

Also..let's say you switch companies and you live in a state where insurance CAN be denied based on medical conditions that are pre-existing.. you better bet you'll be denied coverage or pay an even heftier premium..

NY is a state that you can't be discriminated against based on Pre-existing. Some can't deny you but can charge you a HELL of a lot more .. some states can turn you down all together!!!

There is a problem for *some*. Most insured people who are healthy do not have a problem. We have options, we may pay next to nothing and still have our insurance for catestrophic events. We may choose to see a doctor only for a problem but not just go for regular routine visits or for every cough.

The Medicaid and Medicare people are also pretty set.

So -- there are some number of people who lack insurance and are too young or too healthy or too wealthy for Medicare and Medicaid.

Why not just work on something for them -- another kind of government program that only affects them -- leaves those of us who have insurance out of it. And these people pay into to their own program?

Old 02-03-2008, 07:44 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,254,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
I hear so often that you are making your own mind up about your health care and you have more choices on private health insurance. In fact you have less choice and you are governed by what you can afford or not afford. If the insurance company decides they will not include something you will be dictated to by them. In UCH you can be refered to any doctor that you want to see and YOU decide that. If you call being told if you can get cover or not depending on what you can afford, YOUR decission it obviously isn't.
Incorrect - UHI is "one size fits all" - no choice

Right now, I have 100's of choices -

UHI would take that away from me

Old 02-03-2008, 07:46 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,010,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
And this is where you admitted there are problems. The USA's government is already in big debt. The deficit is huge.

I don't wish to trust the government with my health and body. And the USA has an ungodly number of immigrants who come here with nothing. Politicians are promising quick and easy citizenship to them -- and then will allow them to bring in all kinds of family members --- their elderly parents, their elderly grandparents - aunts, uncles.

There's no way there will be much left for the citizens here -- and I don't want to trust the politicians looking for the most votes -- as bad as the insurance companies are at least they aren't already broke like the government is.

The government being broke doesn't effect UHI.. because that money is strctly for UHI! for one.

Second.. remove the influence of these money hungry insurance comopanies with politicians in their pockets.. thigns would get better.

yes.. we have a HUGE immigration problem here that DEFINATELY needs to be cleaned up first..otherwise your right.. same thing that is breaking the system in the UK will break it here.. meaning too many NOT contributing will be using what they shouldnt have access too because they are illegal! I guess we'ld have to fix our immigration problem first.. all HUGE things to tackle.

Old 02-03-2008, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
Well.. first you brought up 300 million Americans.. that's a LARGE pot of people contributing...
300 million would not be contributing.

Yet you want to cover 300 million

UHI will break the back of the US finances

Old 02-03-2008, 07:47 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Sorry but, included in that number are a whole bunch of kids - who do not work.

And, what are you going to do with those who do not want UHI? Who will not contribute to UHI?
It's fine with me if those who want UHI contribute to it and are covered by it. But leave out the "U" -- I don't want it. It sounds like you might ot want it. I like the cafeteria plans offered by my group insurance plan. They already provide different levels costing different amounts for different needs or choices.

Old 02-03-2008, 07:47 PM

7,923 posts, read 8,845,129 times
i remember a few years ago the govt here allowed people to put money that was paid by the govt to the companies where they worked for retirement to be paid direct into a personal pension plan. They never saw the money once it was paid to their bosses and it cost them nothing to get it put into a personal plan for them. I went to many many homes to try to get them to put the money into a personal retirement plan for themselves. It was money for nothing, just switched it from their bosses to them. The amount of excuses as to why they wanted to keep it as it was astounded me. They were so fixed on the staus quo that they couldn't see past it. The people who did change to the new scheme accumilated the money and the others lost it to their bosses. They regret not doing it now. This health argument is so similar its amazing.

Old 02-03-2008, 07:48 PM

Quote:
And this is where you admitted there are problems. The USA's government is already in big debt. The deficit is huge.

I don't wish to trust the government with my health and body. And the USA has an ungodly number of immigrants who come here with nothing. Politicians are promising quick and easy citizenship to them -- and then will allow them to bring in all kinds of family members --- their elderly parents, their elderly grandparents - aunts, uncles.

There's no way there will be much left for the citizens here -- and I don't want to trust the politicians looking for the most votes -- as bad as the insurance companies are at least they aren't already broke like the government is.

The government being broke doesn't effect UHI.. because that money is strctly for UHI! for one.

Second.. remove the influence of these money hungry insurance comopanies with politicians in their pockets.. thigns would get better. Medical decisions would be made by Dr's NOT insurance companies that care only about profit.. politicians wouldn't decide on medical issues AT ALL! They are not qualified too. If someone needs treatment they'll get it! Government doesn't haev a say about what happens to your body or your medicine. As the system stands now. YOU , with your insurance premiums, really haev no say. as treatments can be turned down becasue it hurts the insurance companies bottom line!

yes.. we have a HUGE immigration problem here that DEFINATELY needs to be cleaned up first..otherwise your right.. same thing that is breaking the system in the UK will break it here.. meaning too many NOT contributing will be using what they shouldnt have access too because they are illegal! I guess we'ld have to fix our immigration problem first.. all HUGE things to tackle.

Old 02-03-2008, 07:52 PM

Quote:
It's fine with me if those who want UHI contribute to it and are covered by it. But leave out the "U" -- I don't want it. It sounds like you might ot want it. I like the cafeteria plans offered by my group insurance plan. They already provide different levels costing different amounts for different needs or choices.

HUH.. that doesn't make any sense.. different needs or choices.. so if I have a genetic disorder, regardless of wether I can pay more or not i'm forced to pay more.. and if I can't afford it then I should just DIE and not get treatment because I can't afford it?

You act as if illness is a choice.. "yeah.. give me aserving of diabetes today so I can spend more money on healthcare" it's just silly!

So.. then only the wealthy deserve to have their ailments treated right? WRONG.

7,923 posts, read 8,845,129 times
i think a great plan would be to allow anyone who wants to opt out of UHC to sign a disclaimer saying they will NEVER use the UHC facilities. This should be put on a Data Base and when they are older or they need care at anytime they would be barred from using ANY UHC hospital or facility. The shoe would very soon be on the other foot. If you say there is no Choice in UHC you are sooo wrong. I use UHC all the time and my choices are endless.

To those United States citizens debating this issue, and who support UHI, please answer these questions:

1) What do you do about those who do not WANT UHI?

2) What do you about those who will not contribute to a UHI?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies