Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2015, 01:29 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred44 View Post
I guess I just answered my own question, people are mostly stupid.
I was going to ask why you posted this thread, but you unknowingly pointed out the answer to that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2015, 01:30 PM

639 posts, read 579,747 times
Did you ever notice that people that identify themselves as belonging to one party or the other (like the op) think there really intelligent. Fact is there just to dumb to think for themselves.

Old 11-25-2015, 01:31 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,649,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post

That list puts New Jersey as the 4th best state to live in, and you expect anyone to think the list is worth anything? Who would ever want to live in New Jersey? Isn't it funny that YOUR state, supposedly one of the highest ranked, has a red leader?
New Jersey votes in both parties for governor. Christie can't take credit for the #4 ranking; neither can any previous 'blue' governor.

We get tired of one party running the state after a few terms, then vote in the opposite!

New Jersey natives are self-motivated. We don't need a governor to 'lead' us or any such nonsense. If laws are enacted that we don't like, we find a way around them (legally, of course..hehe).

New Jersey is a great state, regardless of the governor's party. The people of New Jersey make it great; I'm not going to give any temporary guv credit!!

New Jersey is also a beautiful state. Bet you haven't even been here.

We have beaches, mountains, and lakes...the ocean, the bay, and rivers.

In a couple of hours one can go from the craziness that is northeast NJ to the spooky calm that is the Pine Barrens, where only the Jersey Devil resides.

Old 11-25-2015, 01:33 PM

2,008 posts, read 1,248,474 times
Quote:
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/americ...142632069.html

So my question, why do people in red states continually support red leaders when their states continuously rank at the bottom?

Furthermore, why would any intelligent person ever support a red leader? I guess I just answered my own question, people are mostly stupid.
What's stupid is taking that poll, and the questionable criteria they used to come up with the rankings, as fact or something to hang your hat on.

Old 11-25-2015, 01:51 PM

18,466 posts, read 15,253,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotAct41 View Post
What's stupid is taking that poll, and the questionable criteria they used to come up with the rankings, as fact or something to hang your hat on.
All of these "Best Places to Live" polls are pretty stupid because we all want different things out of life. It is impossible to take things that are so subjective and mix them with a few quantifiable statistics, and then try to rank them. It's not like ranking states by something 100% quantifiable, like FBI crime statistics, or Average SAT scores. There are way too many variables, and "the best place to live" is going to have different criteria for every individual.

Some posters are going to love living in places where I would be miserable, and vice versa.

Old 11-25-2015, 01:52 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/americ...142632069.html

So my question, why do people in red states continually support red leaders when their states continuously rank at the bottom?

Furthermore, why would any intelligent person ever support a red leader? I guess I just answered my own question, people are mostly stupid.
what an arrogant and deplorable statement to make and based on nothing more than some stupid study. What the heck do you know about red versus blue states? Lets take some of the blue states, what about crime in the inner cities and high taxes? What about dirt, smog and crowded highways?

Let me try and explain it to you, although I doubt anyone can get your head out of the sand: many red states are also rural: rural means farms, small towns and yes, often low education for many, but every red state has areas that are very desirable for living and take a blue state like NM? Mostly poverty with the exception of parts of ABQ and Santa Fe plus Los Alamos which is one of the top counties in the country. Now, lets look at, say, AR, where we happen to live: lots of poverty, you bet, but 3 of the largest companies in the country are headquartered right here in NWA. Now lets look at California, where I grew up btw. There is money, some of the best universities in the country and certainly lots of beauty, but the immigration problems are driving people out of the state, plus the high cost of living and many of the schools are pathetic. Taxes are high,, there are some horribly poor and uneducated parts of the state and visit any of the major cities, especially Los Angeles and San Francisco, there are street people everywhere. The same can be said about DC. And certainly there are sections of New York that are suffering big time.

No people are not stupid, anyone than you are. You don't have a clue on how to really understand these studies. Maybe someday you will come out from your shell and see things differently, but this doesn't make you stupid, just uninformed.

Old 11-25-2015, 02:04 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
I don't know what you have against NJ, but it is an amazing place to live. And I have lived in 5 other major metropolitan areas around the country.

It is perfectly located for easy access to cities, mountains, and beaches.

You can live in wooded hills of NJ and still be a quick ride to the greatest city in the world. At the same time being only an hour away from the beach, an hour away from skiing in the Poconos or 3.5 hours from skiing in Vermont. In NJ there are farms, apple orchards, and lakes, just like any other state. The crime rate is low, and the crime is very segregated, so unless you go to the where the crime is, you are fine. We have some of the safest suburbs in the country.

We are also one of the wealthiest states with one of the best education systems in the country.

Unless you are a warm weather person, I don't know what more you could possibly want.
It is still a matter of opinion and what someone does want from life. We have very good friends here, who, were raised in Iowa, eventually relocated to NJ and spent 35 years there. Yes, they loved living in the state but when it came time to retire, they chose a quieter life, low cost of living and slightly milder climate. They love living here as we do, even though we grew up in CA. Our oldest daughter and her husband relocated to NWA 4 years ago, from Dallas. They both decided to leave the rat race of the corporate world. Both of their daughters and families have joined us here. Let me add, most of the family can afford to live anywhere they choose, all the people I am talking about are educated, from good universities and most with advance degrees. My point, there is no perfect place, it is a matter of what one wants. Our granddaughters are thrilled to be raising their children in an area with good schools, and yet an area wit family values are number one. BTW, I am glad you live in a safe area, that is wonderful, we happen to live in a community with just about the lowest crime rate in the country or among the lowest.

Old 11-25-2015, 02:15 PM

7,103 posts, read 5,986,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexter75 View Post
...and 9 of the top 10 states are predominantly white. Aren't generalizations fun?! It has MUCH more to do with other variables than simply being "blue" states.

"To identify the best and worst states in which to live, 24/7 Wall St. devised an index composed of three socioeconomic measures for each state: poverty rate, the percentage of adults who have at least a bachelor’s degree, and life expectancy at birth". If these three meaningless stats make you feel better about where you live, thats great. Most don't care.
47 out of 50 states are predominantly white, so what's your point?

Old 11-25-2015, 02:21 PM

18,466 posts, read 15,253,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
It is still a matter of opinion and what someone does want from life. We have very good friends here, who, were raised in Iowa, eventually relocated to NJ and spent 35 years there. Yes, they loved living in the state but when it came time to retire, they chose a quieter life, low cost of living and slightly milder climate. They love living here as we do, even though we grew up in CA. Our oldest daughter and her husband relocated to NWA 4 years ago, from Dallas. They both decided to leave the rat race of the corporate world. Both of their daughters and families have joined us here. Let me add, most of the family can afford to live anywhere they choose, all the people I am talking about are educated, from good universities and most with advance degrees. My point, there is no perfect place, it is a matter of what one wants. Our granddaughters are thrilled to be raising their children in an area with good schools, and yet an area wit family values are number one. BTW, I am glad you live in a safe area, that is wonderful, we happen to live in a community with just about the lowest crime rate in the country or among the lowest.
Yes, I think I pretty much said the same thing in this post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
All of these "Best Places to Live" polls are pretty stupid because we all want different things out of life. It is impossible to take things that are so subjective and mix them with a few quantifiable statistics, and then try to rank them. It's not like ranking states by something 100% quantifiable, like FBI crime statistics, or Average SAT scores. There are way too many variables, and "the best place to live" is going to have different criteria for every individual.

Some posters are going to love living in places where I would be miserable, and vice versa.

Old 11-25-2015, 02:26 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,391,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
From your own article: Life satisfaction in a given state is often based on highly subjective measures it's too bad that not everyone agrees with your biased opinion, isn't it? That list puts New Jersey as the 4th best state to live in, and you expect anyone to think the list is worth anything? Who would ever want to live in New Jersey? Isn't it funny that YOUR state, supposedly one of the highest ranked, has a red leader? I guess some people are mostly stupid, aren't they.
I find that most people who dislike NJ either have never lived there or simply can't afford to live there.

NJ switches Governor and party every few years just to see if it makes a difference, never does.

You want to make money you live and work in NJ.

You want to carry a gun along with everybody else you don't live in NJ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies