Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2015, 07:05 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,397,504 times

Advertisements

It seems like a bit of a double standard, doesn't it? We often see posts on this forum from people "concerned" about the high levels of gun violence and murder in Chicago. These people wonder why President Obama or Rahm Emmanuel don't do more to address this issue. However, when it comes to mass shootings nationwide, these people do not want any action taken. Why is this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2015, 07:14 AM

4,095 posts, read 2,566,860 times
It doesn't fit the Left's political agenda.

Old 12-03-2015, 07:17 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,834,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
It seems like a bit of a double standard, doesn't it? We often see posts on this forum from people "concerned" about the high levels of gun violence and murder in Chicago. These people wonder why President Obama or Rahm Emmanuel don't do more to address this issue. However, when it comes to mass shootings nationwide, these people do not want any action taken. Why is this?

Methinks you're confused (read: you're trying to turn things around). It's the killings in Chicaco and every other city, which occur every day, that Dems don't care about.

Old 12-03-2015, 07:20 AM

4,899 posts, read 3,556,177 times
Quote:
who are "these people" and what specific action don't they want taken regarding nationwide shooting?

What would you propose be done? What new law would stop criminals and terrorists from acquiring weapons?

Old 12-03-2015, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
who are "these people" and what specific action don't they want taken regarding nationwide shooting?

What would you propose be done? What new law would stop criminals and terrorists from acquiring weapons?
We could at least try with true universal background checks and closing the gun show loophole. We should also require insurance on all firearms, like most states do with cars.

Let's not pretend you would get behind any of that, though.

Old 12-03-2015, 07:31 AM

9,437 posts, read 7,372,524 times
Quote:
We could at least try with true universal background checks and closing the gun show loophole. We should also require insurance on all firearms, like most states do with cars.

No state requires insurance, license or registration on cars that are only used on private property. There is no age limit for buying a car, only to use it on public streets. You can buy a car online and have it delivered to your home. Do you really want to treat firearms like cars? Or are you just proving once again that you have no idea what you're talking about on this subject?

Old 12-03-2015, 07:34 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,755,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Methinks you're confused (read: you're trying to turn things around). It's the killings in Chicaco and every other city, which occur every day, that Dems don't care about.

They don't care about them, to be sure, but at least they've finally started acknowledging the shootings in the talking point they've been instructed to use that involves the statistic about almost one mass shooting in America per day. It's a start I suppose.

Old 12-03-2015, 07:38 AM

11,578 posts, read 13,952,362 times
Quote:

Requiring insurance on guns? I insure mine. I'd hate for some dirtbag to break into my house while I'm out of town and steal them. So yes, I agree everyone should insure theirs.

Now, if (and I know you are) saying people should have to carry liability insurance on guns, how is this going to do ANYTHING to stop gun violence??

Old 12-03-2015, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
Requiring insurance on guns? I insure mine. I'd hate for some dirtbag to break into my house while I'm out of town and steal them. So yes, I agree everyone should insure theirs.

Now, if (and I know you are) saying people should have to carry liability insurance on guns, how is this going to do ANYTHING to stop gun violence??
It would instill accountability. If you fail to secure your gun, and it's used in a crime, you should be held liable to at least some degree. If you fail to secure your gun and a toddler gets a hold of it, and someone is injured or killed as a result, you should be held liable.

Old 12-03-2015, 07:51 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,884,675 times
Quote:
It would instill accountability. If you fail to secure your gun, and it's used in a crime, you should be held liable to at least some degree. If you fail to secure your gun and a toddler gets a hold of it, and someone is injured or killed as a result, you should be held liable.
Pretty sure you are already liable if what you describe happened in your home. I mean people get sued when kids go pool hopping at night and an accident happens. They gave no permission for the kids to swim and yet they are sued because the fence wasn't high enough or the gate wasn't locked.
Liability for Gun Accidents and Injury Compensation
Yes gun owners can be sued for accidental shootings.
Can I Sue The Person Who Shot Me? | whocanisue.com
so requiring insurance would not instill a sense of liability. The majority of gun owners are already aware of this fact. Those who claim to not know this are willfully ignorant.
The accidental shootings, like shot while cleaning their gun? Maybe society was done a favor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies