Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 07:36 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,951,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Everyday gun violence doesn't follow the left's (or the president's) narrative, so they choose to ignore it.
The "left's" narrative is that there are too many guns on the streets and available -- creating far too many victims. That seems to be exactly what's going on. If you disagree, explain the difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2015, 08:19 AM

2,083 posts, read 1,621,084 times
As long as you don't kill yourself with a gun, belong to a gang, interact with drug dealers or are a criminal, your chances of being on the receiving end of a bullet are pretty slim. 100 times more people drown each year than are killed in mass shootings, so why isn't "pool control" a higher priority?

Murders with guns are often highest in cities with strict gun regulations. So how will making guns harder to get for law-abiding citizens have any effect on criminals who already are getting their guns illegally?

Old 12-29-2015, 08:26 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,720,681 times
Default Versions of nonsense...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
You are so correct! What I do notice, non of them know about the "gun control" they speak of. Strange , to call for "gun control" and not understand the meaning of "gun control" or what the government really wants to control. Along, with non of these poster seem to care or have an answer for stopping gang shootings.

They believe if they pass some "gun control" the world will be a utopia!
Gun enthusiasts comment about "gun control" as if it is some sort of complicated concept. Of course, these are the same people who think the debate is over once you mention the 2nd Amendment, so I suppose it stands to reason. Also of course, the straw man arguments are shamelessly repeated, and in this case the most simple of them all!

To suggest anyone believes the world will be a utopia is just dumb, yet forever repeated by conservatives.

Why is that I wonder...

Maybe because too many gun lovers can't very well deal with the real arguments, so easier to do battle with their own. Can't think of anything else...

Old 12-29-2015, 09:24 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,937,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Gun enthusiasts comment about "gun control" as if it is some sort of complicated concept. Of course, these are the same people who think the debate is over once you mention the 2nd Amendment, so I suppose it stands to reason. Also of course, the straw man arguments are shamelessly repeated, and in this case the most simple of them all!

To suggest anyone believes the world will be a utopia is just dumb, yet forever repeated by conservatives.

Why is that I wonder...

Maybe because too many gun lovers can't very well deal with the real arguments, so easier to do battle with their own. Can't think of anything else...
So tell me. Aside from unwarranted condescension and bloviation, what else do you bring to this discussion of any relevance?

Old 12-29-2015, 09:33 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
This social and economic LIBERAL does not support gun control in any way shape or form!

If the government is not going to take the responsibility to effectively defend me and all the rest of the citizenry from criminal assault then I, and everyone else, needs to be armed where ever we have a right to be. The type, kind or capacity of the firearms should be the choice of the individual citizen.

The only acceptable limitation of firearms is restricting the ownership of guns by convicted violent criminals and medically declared homicidal maniacs. Those laws are already on the books.

Old 12-29-2015, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
This social and economic LIBERAL does not support gun control in any way shape or form!

If the government is not going to take the responsibility to effectively defend me and all the rest of the citizenry from criminal assault then I, and everyone else, needs to be armed where ever we have a right to be. The type, kind or capacity of the firearms should be the choice of the individual citizen.

The only acceptable limitation of firearms is restricting the ownership of guns by convicted violent criminals and medically declared homicidal maniacs. Those laws are already on the books.
Absolutely right on all counts. The problem is not that we don't have enough gun laws, but rather that the gun laws currently on the books are seldom enforced. They are only enforced at the governments convenience.

Old 12-29-2015, 10:31 AM

50,294 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post

Why is that I wonder...

Only a fool thinks the only gun owners are conservatives.

Old 12-29-2015, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1angrytaxpayer View Post
only a fool thinks the only gun owners are conservatives.
bingo!!!!!

Old 12-29-2015, 10:41 AM

50,294 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
I am sure knife-wielding people would take as many casualties as those with automatic firearms. [/sarcasm_off]
The new weapons of choice look to be cars and/or home made bombs.

Old 12-29-2015, 10:43 AM

5,461 posts, read 3,235,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
The "left's" narrative is that there are too many guns on the streets and available -- creating far too many victims. That seems to be exactly what's going on. If you disagree, explain the difference.

The number of guns in private ownership has skyrocketed over the last 20 years. Yet, the gun related homicide rate is down by 49% since 1993:

Gun Homicide Rate Down 49% Since 1993 Peak; Public Unaware | Pew Research Center

This is exactly the opposite of what the Left is constantly yammering about. According to them the gun murder rate should be through the roof with the increase in firearms held by the public. But precisely the opposite has happened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies