Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2015, 02:53 PM

39,875 posts, read 26,526,580 times

Advertisements

We will have a new chief executive in about 13 months. Lets hope for one with some common sense. Lets face it, gun restrictions on law abiding people have never reduced gun violence; in fact there is plenty of evidence that they increase it. Every mass shooting that has been "stopped" has been by a good guy with a gun, either a LEO or a private citizen.

Several small cities have passed laws calling for mandatory gun ownership by "heads of households" that are legally able to own guns. Can this be expanded to national law? Is there any reason the next president could not do so, perhaps by executive order? It's been established that the federal government can force you to purchase a product, rather you want it or not. It's for the common good. If it saves just one life, isn't it worth it?

Similarly, statistics show that "gun free" zones are very unsafe. Some 92% of "mass shootings" have occurred in such places. In the name of public safety, can, and should, the federal government ban gun free zones on any government owned property?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2015, 03:15 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,886,302 times
I am against any law that requires anyone to buy a product. A gun owned by a person who fears guns and never becomes even a little comfortable with it is dangerous as well as useless. We should have learned this lesson from the ACA laws. Now people are forced to by a product that many of them can't afford to use. Now they have even less useable income. Bad laws are never the right thing to do.

Old 12-12-2015, 03:21 PM

8,070 posts, read 12,790,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
I am against any law that requires anyone to buy a product. A gun owned by a person who fears guns and never becomes even a little comfortable with it is dangerous as well as useless. We should have learned this lesson from the ACA laws. Now people are forced to by a product that many of them can't afford to use. Now they have even less useable income. Bad laws are never the right thing to do.
I agree; a law forcing someone to purchase something they do not want is asinine. I know many people that have no criminal record but would be absolutely dangerous with a firearm in their home. You know the type; nice people but prone to accidents and stupidity. I don't think ANYONE should own a gun unless they are committed to gun safety and use education. They need to spend time at a range and practice safe storage at home (particularly those with children).

Old 12-12-2015, 03:39 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,097,684 times
No law should ever require a person to make a purchase. Suggestions like this is why lobbying is so tolerated in this country.

As for banning 'gun free zones,' that's up to the state. I'm fairly neutral on this, however, I also don't think people should be super open about carrying a gun.

Old 12-12-2015, 03:58 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,278,490 times
Firstly I don't think owning a gun should be mandatory, it would remove the element of choice and a degree of personal responsibility, it's a responsible to choice to not own a gun because you feel you may act irresponsibly with it in your ownership.

Secondly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
As for banning 'gun free zones,' that's up to the state. I'm fairly neutral on this, however, I also don't think people should be super open about carrying a gun.
Actually you'd need to repeal the GFSZA 1990 which is federal law (18 USC 921 (a)(25)) then permit the States to determine whether or not something should or should not be a gun free zone.

A State can't remove a ban on guns at say 1000 feet on sidewalks, highways or roads of a school subject to the law, if the State does not have jurisdiction to remove that ban (because it's a federal law, and not State).

So I'd be for repealing the 1990 GFSZA, and allowing States to determine how they want to proceed moving forwards. However there was a repeal attempted in 2011 and it died in committee, not much hope that any resurrection of it would improve it's chances, since right now everyone is running around like a bunch of spider monkeys on methamphetamine after 10 cups of coffee with their hair on fire about mass shootings and/or terrorism (they're not mutually exclusive).

Old 12-12-2015, 04:02 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,377,888 times
Statists gonna state.

Old 12-12-2015, 04:12 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,471,721 times
'Daily Show' Debunks 'Good Guy With A Gun' Theory About Mass Shootings (2 videos)

'Daily Show' Debunks 'Good Guy With A Gun' Theory About Mass Shootings (2 videos)

Old 12-12-2015, 04:16 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
We will have a new chief executive in about 13 months. Lets hope for one with some common sense.
Indeed, let's. And now let us set about debunking the nonsense you just posted...

Quote:
Lets face it, gun restrictions on law abiding people have never reduced gun violence; in fact there is plenty of evidence that they increase it.
Demonstrably untrue. Many countries have enacted severe gun restrictions and dramatically curbed gun violence.

Quote:
Every mass shooting that has been "stopped" has been by a good guy with a gun, either a LEO or a private citizen.
Pure nonsense. In fact, unarmed civilians stop four times as many mass shootings as armed civilians.

Only 28% involve law enforcement actually exchanging gunfire with the shooter.

Quote:
Several small cities have passed laws calling for mandatory gun ownership by "heads of households" that are legally able to own guns. Can this be expanded to national law? Is there any reason the next president could not do so, perhaps by executive order? It's been established that the federal government can force you to purchase a product, rather you want it or not. It's for the common good. If it saves just one life, isn't it worth it?
No. The entire premise is absurd. We already know it won't save lives. More people will just wind up maimed and killed by people who lack the self control to only use a firearm when necessary or by people who lack training (and no, a few hours at a shooting range doesn't count).

Just imagine what a bloodbath something like Aurora would've been if a bunch of panicked, untrained, unskilled people whipped out their guns and started shooting to try to stop the situation.

Old 12-12-2015, 04:20 PM

3,298 posts, read 2,475,658 times
Guns & ammo are pricey enough as it is now. What effect would mandatory gun ownership have on that situation? Or are you proposing a massive government giveaway?

How would the government enforce such a requirement? Register all firearms in a national database? Inspect homes?

Old 12-12-2015, 04:23 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,198,674 times
A mandatory gun ownership is stupid.....and sure, let's get rid of "gun free zones" because I am tired of hearing that be the excuse for mass shootings. Though I do wonder what you will blame mass shootings on once we remove "gun free zones," even though that has nothing to do with why mass shootings happen....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies