Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2015, 11:52 AM

807 posts, read 1,033,888 times

Advertisements

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/americ...142632069.html

So my question, why do people in red states continually support red leaders when their states continuously rank at the bottom?

Furthermore, why would any intelligent person ever support a red leader? I guess I just answered my own question, people are mostly stupid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2015, 11:58 AM

16,216 posts, read 11,343,520 times
Because not all of us think that the high taxes and bureaucratic interference with free enterprise used to support a contingent of freeloaders and malcontents, whose principal goal seems to be avoiding the responsibility of a steady job, is such a positive idea.

The only time blue states look "good" is when they are viewed from the perspective of the usual self-righteous Left-leaning clique, and the OP's characterization of those who don't agree with him as "stupid" says a lot about the inherently elitist and Fascistic attitude which characterizes the so-called "progressive" mentality.

If you think life in a place like Connecticut, Vermont or Hawaii is so great, try relocating there with minimal savings and without a degree or knowledge of a skilled trade which qualifies you as readily employable -- and let us know how long you last. I've moved long distances on short notice on several occasions, and the place in which I found it easiest to obtain a decent-paying job in a relatively short time was the quite "red" state of Nebraska -- precisely because its strong work ethic and lack of a "bi-coastal" mentality and ambience keeps the spoiled teenyboppers with unrealistic ideas and expectations away.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 11-25-2015 at 12:28 PM..

Old 11-25-2015, 12:01 PM

4,078 posts, read 2,341,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred44 View Post

So my question, why do people in red states continually support red leaders when their states continuously rank at the bottom?

Furthermore, why would any intelligent person ever support a red leader? I guess I just answered my own question, people are mostly stupid.
...and 9 of the top 10 states are predominantly white. Aren't generalizations fun?! It has MUCH more to do with other variables than simply being "blue" states.

"To identify the best and worst states in which to live, 24/7 Wall St. devised an index composed of three socioeconomic measures for each state: poverty rate, the percentage of adults who have at least a bachelor’s degree, and life expectancy at birth". If these three meaningless stats make you feel better about where you live, thats great. Most don't care.

Old 11-25-2015, 12:09 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexter75 View Post
...and 9 of the top 10 states are predominantly white. Aren't generalizations fun?! It has MUCH more to do with other variables than simply being "blue" states.

"To identify the best and worst states in which to live, 24/7 Wall St. devised an index composed of three socioeconomic measures for each state: poverty rate, the percentage of adults who have at least a bachelor’s degree, and life expectancy at birth".
Which leads to higher income which leads to higher quality of life which leads to higher home prices which leads to less poor people wanting to live there.

Old 11-25-2015, 12:10 PM

30,384 posts, read 19,184,321 times
Quote:

I don't know how many of the best 10 states have Republicans running them but I know your state is run by a Republican and is among the best according to this publication. The data to determine best and worst is mostly determined by the demographics of the areas. I will at least agree that my state is a blue state and is well run....and I pick it over any of the so called 10 best.

Old 11-25-2015, 12:14 PM

2,083 posts, read 1,621,547 times
Here's their ranking criteria:

"24/7 Wall St. devised an index composed of three socioeconomic measures for each state: poverty rate, the percentage of adults who have at least a bachelor’s degree, and life expectancy at birth"

These criteria seem specifically targeted. What about things like divorce rate, high school graduation rate, crime/murder rates, unemployment, cost-of-living, etc? What about areas that support high or stable incomes with blue collar jobs that don't require a bachelor's degree? Maryland ranked as 7th best, but has the 5th highest murder rate in the country. Most of this top ten also appear in the top ten teen abortion states.

Here's a 2014 Gallup poll of 176,000 people to rank their satisfaction in these areas: motivation to achieve goals (purpose), having positive relationships (social), economic satisfaction (financial), feeling safe and having pride in where you live (community), and taking care of your health (physical).

The 10 happiest states in America

Using this wider base of criteria, 7 red states are in the top ten.

Old 11-25-2015, 12:16 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,373,638 times
Quote:

From your own article: Life satisfaction in a given state is often based on highly subjective measures it's too bad that not everyone agrees with your biased opinion, isn't it? That list puts New Jersey as the 4th best state to live in, and you expect anyone to think the list is worth anything? Who would ever want to live in New Jersey? Isn't it funny that YOUR state, supposedly one of the highest ranked, has a red leader? I guess some people are mostly stupid, aren't they.

Old 11-25-2015, 12:18 PM

30,384 posts, read 19,184,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vejadu View Post
Here's their ranking criteria:

"24/7 Wall St. devised an index composed of three socioeconomic measures for each state: poverty rate, the percentage of adults who have at least a bachelor’s degree, and life expectancy at birth"

These criteria seem pretty specifically. What about things like divorce rate, high school graduation rate, crime/murder rates, unemployment, cost-of-living, etc?

Here's a 2014 Gallup poll of 176,000 people to rank their satisfaction in these areas: motivation to achieve goals (purpose), having positive relationships (social), economic satisfaction (financial), feeling safe and having pride in where you live (community), and taking care of your health (physical).

The 10 happiest states in America

Using this wider base of criteria, 7 red states are in the top ten.
On a happiness scale, Christians, Conservatives and married people always chart the happiest. Atheists, Liberals and single the low end of happiness.

Old 11-25-2015, 12:20 PM

4,231 posts, read 3,560,332 times
Total bull.

Best state is TX.

Old 11-25-2015, 12:28 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,751,282 times
Quote:

This is like a soccer Mom from the richest, Whitest suburb thumping her chest about how much better her kids' school is than the one in the inner city. In both cases you're comparing predominantly White, well-to-do situations to places dealing with massive populations of poor Black people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies