Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2015, 09:02 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,384,355 times

Advertisements

So I have learned I need to register my drones with the FAA because people do not comprehend risks.

Literally you are more likely to have your plane hit by a turtle then a drone. in fact someone recently showed the data:
Airplanes Hit More Turtles Than Drones | Popular Science

If a drone were to strike a plane, it is far less dangerous then many birds, AND its illegal to fly over 400 feet within 5 miles of an airport.

When will we require people to register their turtles that are far more likely to impact a plane?

On a side note...why so many turtle impacts? do they wander around on the runway?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2015, 09:32 PM

19,724 posts, read 10,135,138 times
What about the fact that drones forced fire-fighting planes to land recently?

Old 12-18-2015, 09:33 PM

531 posts, read 501,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
On a side note...why so many turtle impacts? do they wander around on the runway?
One of the battlefields of the War on Terrapinism

Old 12-18-2015, 09:36 PM

794 posts, read 819,573 times
Who needs an assault drone anyway? Why does any drone need a high capacity battery for that matter? Registration will not lead to confiscation of your drone, no one wants to take your drone away...

Old 12-18-2015, 09:47 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,373,638 times
200 turtle strikes over 25 years when there are 100,000 flights per day isn't exactly a lot.

People and government push for regulation based on emotion, not on logic. I'm sure you can think of something else some people push to regulate or ban in spite of them almost never being used to commit a crime.

Old 12-18-2015, 09:51 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,654,236 times
Quote:
So I have learned I need to register my drones with the FAA because people do not comprehend risks.

Literally you are more likely to have your plane hit by a turtle then a drone. in fact someone recently showed the data:

If a drone were to strike a plane, it is far less dangerous then many birds, AND its illegal to fly over 400 feet within 5 miles of an airport.

When will we require people to register their turtles that are far more likely to impact a plane?

We were suppose to register our RC planes too.....

We were also suppose to register our CB radios too.

We were suppose to register our guns too.

Old 12-18-2015, 09:57 PM

269 posts, read 178,562 times
Quote:

No, you do not comprehend risks. The reason for your inconvenience is because anyone of average intelligence can easily foresee the BIG problems headed our way as drones become less expensive, more common, and technology increases. It's not much of an issue right now, but in 5-10 years really stupid people will have access to machines that will have the ability to cause unbelievable chaos.

Old 12-18-2015, 09:59 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,141,818 times
As a 150K mile plus yearly flyer, there are already several incidences of drones coming to close to airliners.

If you don't want to register your drone and be responsible with it, find another toy to play with. There's nothing in the Constitution about drones, so, get over it.

Old 12-18-2015, 10:12 PM

50,327 posts, read 47,080,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Maryland View Post
Who needs an assault drone anyway? Why does any drone need a high capacity battery for that matter? Registration will not lead to confiscation of your drone, no one wants to take your drone away...
Perfect. It never matters until it affects them.

Old 12-18-2015, 10:19 PM

30,274 posts, read 23,751,941 times
Quote:

What you're "supposed to do" and what you "actually do" don't always have to be equal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies