Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2015, 06:50 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,427,707 times

Advertisements

I was talking with a friend last night about Downton Abbey and the English peerage system and he was proudly mocking that in America we dont have aristocrats because the founding fathers hated the idea of inherited power. I nodded for a minute before realizing, wait a minute...this is EXACTLY what the candidates are that we're talking about, aristocrats. We are given a handful of candidates that are from wealthy families, who's family members have historically been people of power (or who's husband has ALREADY been President) who's wealth was inherited, not earned, and who are in many cases actually related to each other. Do we actually have aristocracy in America just without the titles?? How are we voting for the wife of someone thats already been the President??? There arent any other people in this Nation who we think should represent the democratic party??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2015, 06:53 AM

3,826 posts, read 3,388,757 times
Theu are part of the "political class" who are not qualified to do real work and so they use connections to get power over those that are qualified. They accumulate their wealth by being parasites on the producers.

Old 12-16-2015, 07:01 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,940,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
I was talking with a friend last night about Downton Abbey and the English peerage system and he was proudly mocking that in America we dont have aristocrats because the founding fathers hated the idea of inherited power. I nodded for a minute before realizing, wait a minute...this is EXACTLY what the candidates are that we're talking about, aristocrats. We are given a handful of candidates that are from wealthy families, who's family members have historically been people of power (or who's husband has ALREADY been President) who's wealth was inherited, not earned, and who are in many cases actually related to each other. Do we actually have aristocracy in America just without the titles?? How are we voting for the wife of someone thats already been the President??? There arent any other people in this Nation who we think should represent the democratic party??
Even looking at John Kerry his family goes way back to riches. When he was running most kept focusing on his wife's money, Kerry didn't need his wife's money!

My question; why is the left voting for someone who gets most her money these days from foreign countries, who go against our interest in the world?

Old 12-16-2015, 07:28 AM

2,083 posts, read 1,621,084 times
Too many of us are afraid of "throwing away our votes", so in doing so we hold our nose and pick the person we dislike less rather than sticking to our guns and voting for the person we really like. That is what I consider throwing away my vote -- and voting for a 3rd party candidate is making a statement that you won't pick between this rich politician or that rich politician.

As long as people think they're throwing away their vote by voting for someone who won't win, the two parties will maintain control and keep passing the Presidency back and forth every 4-8 years.

Old 12-16-2015, 07:42 AM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Um, the current president didn't come from an elite family.

Bill Clinton didn't.

Reagan didn't either.

Carters family wasn't elite either.

Sometimes we get people like Hillary, Bush, Gore etc. but there is opportunity for people to come up from poverty or near enough and become president.

Also, it's not just the president. Tony Blair was quoted as saying that Collin Powell never could have risen to the top like he did in the US if he'd been in England.

In short, pointing to Hillary and complaining is a thin argument imo.

Old 12-16-2015, 07:46 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,740,361 times
Quote:
Rubio or Dr Carson were not from wealthy families. Notice how the media tried desperately to bring Rubio down based on financial mistakes along the way. And Dr Carson, who could easily been pulled into the thug life but managed not to.

Yet the same media will praise Hillary as if she knows what it's like to be one of us. Not true, she's in it for more for herself, it' called greed.

I think we can blame part of it the media and the stupidity of the American people who think government can save them or legislate their prosperity. And they thought we would believe that "Hillary was broke", really?

Old 12-16-2015, 08:17 AM

13,650 posts, read 20,780,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Um, the current president didn't come from an elite family.

Bill Clinton didn't.

Reagan didn't either.

Carters family wasn't elite either.

Sometimes we get people like Hillary, Bush, Gore etc. but there is opportunity for people to come up from poverty or near enough and become president.

Also, it's not just the president. Tony Blair was quoted as saying that Collin Powell never could have risen to the top like he did in the US if he'd been in England.

In short, pointing to Hillary and complaining is a thin argument imo.
Fair point.

Add Truman and Lincoln to the list.

Old 12-16-2015, 09:26 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,145,830 times
What you are leaving out of this equation is special interest. Special interest controls our Country. Many Presidents were groomed in some of our finest universities. They were taught the importance of friends and networking (long before anybody ever heard of the name).

Many of our politicians graduated from Harvard; many were lawyers. President Obama was the seventh President to graduate Harvard: Obama joins list of seven presidents with Harvard degrees | Harvard Gazette. I Believe that Yale's secret society also fostered at least one President and many of our politicians and game players: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._Bones_members. Of course Virginia has produced the most Presidents (eight). So, yes, these prima donna's automatically think they should rule - it is just that many of us would really like a change!

Old 12-16-2015, 09:34 AM

639 posts, read 579,747 times
There's definitely alot of that in politics, but almost all of the repubs, this time around don't fit that model. Weather there any good is a different question. I hate it to, makes me sick even when locally you get 4 generations who haven't had a job except running for office, then they'll get a token job from some special interest they've been pushing. Occasionally I'll see a billionaire running and think, Maybe he'll be independent minded since he doesn't need the money, It rarely turns out the way I had hoped.

Old 12-16-2015, 10:12 AM

3,440 posts, read 2,528,145 times
Simply because, oligarchs on Wall Street, and banks, buy candidates who are favorable to their agenda and fund their campaigns. The people on the ballot, that you "elect" have already been chosen by the oligarchs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies