Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 09:50 AM

565 posts, read 935,730 times

Advertisements

Title says all. Do people really believe that regular hard working people could do a 'worse' job of managing the world. Note I said world; this is a worldwide problem.... not just USA.

Without bringing parties into this, most all US presidents over the last few decades have all had net worth's of millions. According to the first few google results; the average americans networth is about 300-350k.

I realize it's impossible to win an election without money, even get on the ballot, but is there any way to change this so we can stop electing people that don't really understand the problems of the people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2014, 09:54 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,562,225 times
The problem is that regular sane people want nothing to do with politics which only plus it is expensive to run for anything bigger than local offices which is why the average joe avoids it.

Old 10-28-2014, 10:00 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,105,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthetrees View Post
Title says all. Do people really believe that regular hard working people could do a 'worse' job of managing the world. Note I said world; this is a worldwide problem.... not just USA.

Without bringing parties into this, most all US presidents over the last few decades have all had net worth's of millions. According to the first few google results; the average americans networth is about 300-350k.

I realize it's impossible to win an election without money, even get on the ballot, but is there any way to change this so we can stop electing people that don't really understand the problems of the people.
I'm confused. Are you complaining about us electing career politicians (as your title indicates) or about us electing rich people as president (as your post indicates)?

Old 10-28-2014, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
I'm confused. Are you complaining about us electing career politicians (as your title indicates) or about us electing rich people as president (as your post indicates)?
Career politicians are normally pretty wealthy, that is not the sole reason they are not good candidates, however it's the simplest statistics to show how they are not in touch with average Americans.

Old 10-28-2014, 11:20 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,315,673 times
Quote:
Career politicians are normally pretty wealthy, that is not the sole reason they are not good candidates, however it's the simplest statistics to show how they are not in touch with average Americans.
How many people contact their representative and Senators on a regular basis. It is the House that is supposed to be closest to the people. The Senate is supposed to represent the State's interests.

I contact my representative fairly regularly, either by phone or fax, on issues. Less frequently, our Senators

It's useless to contact one Senator since he's a Democrat. He is solidly "Progressive," and rarely mentions anything worthwhile in his newsletters, except all the wonderful things he says he is doing for the people of Ohio. His latest gem claims he is "Protecting Consumers From the Dangers of Powdered Caffeine!"

Old 10-28-2014, 11:48 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 25 days ago)

29,567 posts, read 16,552,753 times
Quote:

in short yes.

regular people for the most part, dont know how government works, they vote based on speeches they here on TV. Most regular people dont actually go out and seek information to see if the person they are voting for is being truthful.

A regular person would say the same thing in campaign speeches as one of the career politicians, the problem is he would try to do them once he got into office not realizing that some of the stuff he said isnt possible.

I mean, could you imagine of Republicans actually cut taxes as much as they claim they would like to do ?

look at it this way.

Your personal accountant would tell you to say 20% of your monthly income, where as a national economist would say you should be spending atleast half that so that the current economy is sustained as it is.

What is good for the individual is not always what is good for the country.

Old 10-28-2014, 12:07 PM

3,620 posts, read 3,837,396 times
thats why i dont waste time voting. i can already tell you 85-90 percent of the incumbents will end up being re-elected.

yet tomorrow people will be whining about lack of leadership, yet they go to the polls and vote for there favorite 10 term republican or democrat.

change in this country isnt going to happen in the voting booth. the voting booth is just to make the idiots think they actually have a say.

you have no say.

Old 10-28-2014, 12:28 PM

14,023 posts, read 15,032,674 times
When people say they hate Congress they hate the Republicans in Congress, or the Democrats in Congress, usually not all 535 members, and the former have Democrats as their representatives and the latter have Republican represenatives so them voting in their incumbent and others throwing their Congessmsn to the Curb would be ideal.

Old 10-28-2014, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
in short yes.

regular people for the most part, dont know how government works, they vote based on speeches they here on TV. Most regular people dont actually go out and seek information to see if the person they are voting for is being truthful.

A regular person would say the same thing in campaign speeches as one of the career politicians, the problem is he would try to do them once he got into office not realizing that some of the stuff he said isnt possible.

I mean, could you imagine of Republicans actually cut taxes as much as they claim they would like to do ?

look at it this way.

Your personal accountant would tell you to say 20% of your monthly income, where as a national economist would say you should be spending atleast half that so that the current economy is sustained as it is.

What is good for the individual is not always what is good for the country.
This would all be fine and dandy if the country was running great and we didn't have a huge deficit. We continue to spend money we don't have. If we continue to go down the road we have been going it's not going to work out well.

Sure at first things might get a little weird by having normal people in office that don't know all the TPS reports and regulations, but people would adapt and overcome and down the road it could actually be nice.

You say people have the ability to research politicians, however the career politicians will say whatever they want to get elected, facts can be twisted into whatever flavor they need to sound like they are getting stuff done. Or they just flipflop and say something completely different; basically they know how to play the game and don't really care about whats best for the average person.

Old 10-28-2014, 12:47 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,231,819 times
Quote:

Fear of the unknown....sure, we all like Boise State but, can they win the big one??? Similar fear....not sure I want a "Pat Paulsen" as our President when the SHTF...do you? We tried a new guy last time....how's that working out? Makes Romney look like a genius right now at least as it relates to business. This guy??? Not so much......we tried Clinton and he gets caught getting blown...IN THE OVAL OFFICE....NOT GOOD. That may have worked for a Kennedy but, this was the late 90's....no more smacking women on the rear and making crude remarks...those days are OVER.....even Bill gets that now...

I think we need someone with at least some real world experience, preferably in business with a even demeanor about them...nothing too crazy, fix 5 things and then start working on the rest kinda guy/gal.

If you look at the landscape, there is Hillary who terrifies (Hillary the Hun), Cruz with a perpetual wax face that no one can quite trust, goofy characters like Kerry and Biden (missing the third stooge) and others that aren't quite in touch. Couple that with the fact that they bring in some more characters (Holder, Rice) that are just plain whacked. All wrapped around a White House Press Secretary that has to lie, with a straight face, daily.

No. I'd rather we have someone a bit more knowledgeable in the world of global politics and business. Save the whales is nice and all right up to the point where you have to quell near riots in Missouri, feed the hungry, push the lazy off the bench, and re-ignite industry....all delicately so as not to inflame the masses. Way above most politician's pay grade. Someone who can take the free lollipops out of the left's mouth.

And apparently, I'm right to some degree as ever since that Perot idea in 92, we have only toyed with the idea with the exception of this President and THAT was a clear disaster...still is....it's like watching the movie Titanic over and over and over and over again.....except this sinking lasted 8 years, similar results....Sure, DeCaprio got the chick in the end but, at what cost?

Give us a business person, that Carly Fiorina might even have a shot someday. This time, she can play with OTHER people's money and avoid the pressures of Wall Street. At least she knows something about a P&L. The current line up think there is no end to your money. Above all, I want someone to balance the budget and do a jihad on Government. Cut them 30%.....we wouldn't miss it. B-Slap the IRS, strip their overreaching powers once and for all, give industry a fighting chance on the global stage, drill for our own oil while seeking sustainable alternatives, shove that leader of Argentina under a bus somewhere, rekindle Brazil's relationship, try to get Venezuela on-board, crush uprisings in the middle east and NOT apologize for it, build unity in the African continent, apologize to England for not attending Margaret Thatcher's funeral (unbelievable), and put the Tampon back in and deal with Russia. The sooner we drill, the sooner Russia weakens.

Trying someone or something new can get us into a civil war if we are not too careful. The current administration has done an excellent job in dividing us. How about a leader who will unite us and start to look out after OUR interests for a change....no need to fly around the world looking for hungry when we have plenty right here....the list goes on.

A newcomer? Who? Who would you trust with the nuclear football? Hillary? Reallllllly? Cruz????? Bachman? A mean man named Holder? I think we better put some want ads up because the field has never looked so weak. Both sides. Still, it's not a reason to grab a 3rd string candidate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections