Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 01:06 PM

2,055 posts, read 1,449,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Hey this Jesus is far from the one we are shown, I actually like this one better...... Most of us have and do realize the Jesus the Catholic Church has presented is most likely not what Jesus looked like.

Thanks Woodrow for the discussion.....I do believe we will just continue asking each other questions and never getting further than our own beliefs, this is fine! This is exactly why no religion should claim in public schools who they believe God is or isn't. If you and I can't come to some reasoning why should we expect our kids. Public schools are way to confusing learning the stuff kids need to survive in the real world. Lets leave religion to the people who teach it, not our public school teachers.

As I have researched "calligraphy" seems it's connection with Islam is very religious based. As this below explains........

Islamic Calligraphy
Like many things in the Islamic world, calligraphy is used chiefly for religious purposes. The reason for this is, mainly, that it is written in there holy book, the Koran that calligraphy is the word of God. Because of this, the most common phrases written in calligraphy are; "in sha' Allah" as God wills, "ma sha' Allah" and "hamah li-Allah" God will be praised.

It is a tradition of pious Muslims to copy the entire Qur'an, which is over twice the size of the Christian Bible, in calligraphy. At the time of the Prophet, calligraphy was a square formal type which is now called Kufic. Soon, however, it became necessary to have a quicker, more flowing cursive style, which we now call Nashki. There are many different forms and styles of calligraphy that developed after that. A few of them are; Deewani, Farsi, Kufic, Naskh, Req'aa, and Thuluth. The original style, Kufic, is the one used most often in copying the Koran.
Great post. You are correct about not getting further than our own beliefs. In his defense, Woodrow does try to give a reasoned Islamic version of the world which if you go to the Islam forum, most of them do not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I wasn't aware that it was 3~Shepherds who was decider on who is and isn't a Christian.
This crap is to be expected from this poster. I think he's trying to provoke a negative response so he can go crying to admin about a personal insult. He's a baiter ... not a researcher. And don't hold your breath waiting for even a feeble apology.

El Nox

Old 01-04-2016, 09:25 PM

42 posts, read 11,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Is there a reason they could not have written Merry Christmas in calligraphy? Why the phrase about Allah? Allah is not Christian, Jesus or Christmas related.......being the time of year and all.....right?
wrong.

Old 01-05-2016, 11:04 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,943,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I wasn't aware that it was 3~Shepherds who was decider on who is and isn't a Christian.
All one has to do is look a Westboro Baptist and people like them and you can decide....be my guest! I am not the decider, it says they will be known by their fruits.....Westboro Baptist needs help.

Old 01-05-2016, 11:17 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,943,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Nox View Post
Great post. You are correct about not getting further than our own beliefs. In his defense, Woodrow does try to give a reasoned Islamic version of the world which if you go to the Islam forum, most of them do not.
Seems to me Woodrow is what moderate Islam is about, I am afraid his kind may be rare. I could post some hateful things coming from the leaders of Islam, so where do we start with kindness if it doesn't start with the leaders? If Islam was of peace why are leaders calling to annihilate Israel and America.

Quote:
This crap is to be expected from this poster. I think he's trying to provoke a negative response so he can go crying to admin about a personal insult. He's a baiter ... not a researcher. And don't hold your breath waiting for even a feeble apology.
People tend to get uneasy when told how Christians believe, but are very comfortable telling Christians how and what to believe. Some Agnostics and Atheist seem to pride themselves in thinking they understand Christians......let alone religion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intotalshock View Post
wrong.
You have a problem with Merry Christmas at Christmas time. How about Happy Holidays?.....you are a little late to the party!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies