Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2015, 08:31 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,544,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Does conceled weapons permit mean you can start enforcing the law?

Don't be silly.

I've had a concealed handgun license for years and carry a weapon daily.

Requirements for a license vary by state, of course, and I can't recite the statutes for all of them.

Here in Texas, an applicant has to undergo an all day course covering legal application of lethal force, undergo a background check (to include fingerprints) and show at least minimum proficiency with a handgun at an approved range.

The all day course goes into detail on how inadvisable it is to get involved in 3rd party scenarios. It's made clear to the applicants that they are not LEOs and cannot act in that capacity.

This doesn't screen out 100% of the morons, but it does eliminate most of them.

Old 12-17-2015, 08:32 AM

50,294 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih2puo View Post
She shot the tires. That's not deadly force. How many times have we seen posted "why didnt they shoot the tires?" when cops spray a car with bullets?

Now we know the answer. They arent trained as well as this lady was to hit the tires.
Ya, no chance of ricochet there.

Old 12-17-2015, 08:40 AM

2,528 posts, read 1,657,591 times
I have Florida CCW, and I really don't like that people are shooting rounds at shoplifters when me and my kids are shopping at the mall.
Shooting in public permitted only to stop a severe violence, rape etc.

Old 12-17-2015, 09:08 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
NO, it does not.

Make sure you are familiar with the gun laws in your State before you start carrying. There is no such thing as a 'warning shot', and carrying a gun does not mean you can start enforcing the law and stopping shop lifters with your gun. In Florida firing a warning shot can land you in prison for a very long time.

The woman in the below story thought she should stop a shop-lifter with her gun, and started shooting, but it only got her in trouble.

A Woman Tried to Stop A Shoplifter With Her Gun. Then This Happened. | Daily Wire

Forty-six-year-old Tatiana Duva-Rodriguez heard screams in a Home Depot parking lot and saw a man jump into a car with stolen goods. Duva-Rodriguez pulled out her pistol and fired off two rounds into the escape car's tires, flattening one of them.

What did Tatiana get for assisting in what she deemed a criminal situation? A misdemeanor charge of reckless use of a handgun and a prosecutor calling her actions "disturbing."

In 2007, just before Obama was elected, there were 4.6 million concealed carry permit holders. Today that number has almost tripled to 12.8 million. A recent Gallup poll found that 56 percent of Americans believe the country would be significantly safer if more people carried a firearm on them.
She deserved to be charged. I hope she receives the maximum sentence.

Old 12-17-2015, 09:09 AM

7,578 posts, read 5,326,422 times
As a cc holder it ain't my business to protect Wal-Mart, Target or Home Depot's profit margin.

Old 12-17-2015, 09:14 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Here in Texas, an applicant has to undergo an all day course covering legal application of lethal force, undergo a background check (to include fingerprints) and show at least minimum proficiency with a handgun at an approved range.

The all day course goes into detail on how inadvisable it is to get involved in 3rd party scenarios. It's made clear to the applicants that they are not LEOs and cannot act in that capacity.

This doesn't screen out 100% of the morons, but it does eliminate most of them.
This will deter a large percentage of the population from getting a CHL, because most of the population is too lazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
As a cc holder it ain't my business to protect Wal-Mart, Target or Home Depot's profit margin.
Isn't that the truth.

The scenarios that would have me pulling my weapon are very very limited.

One thing that always causes a debate, makes me laugh and gets others upset is when I say it's best, IMHO, not to have a round chambered. (BTW, if anyone chooses to keep a round chambered, that is their business).

Old 12-17-2015, 09:39 AM

19,722 posts, read 10,128,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
My daughter works Security in Retail. They can physically restrain a shoplifter, including cuff them. Can they shoot them fleeing the store? Absolutely not. As you said, they are not LEO's. They call the police to arrest the shoplifter.
As someone who has worked retail, you better be sure that you can prove they were shoplifting. If not, you can be arrested.

Old 12-17-2015, 09:43 AM

19,722 posts, read 10,128,243 times
Our county sheriff has thanked the public for helping a deputy several times this past year. We usually only have one deputy on for the whole county over night.

Old 12-17-2015, 09:53 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
She deserved to be charged. I hope she receives the maximum sentence.
If this had happened in Florida, which I doubt, she could get 15 years behind bars in the worst case scenario.

Old 12-17-2015, 10:00 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,707,101 times
Yes you can use your ccw weapon to legally enforce the law in certain circumstances depending on the laws of your State all of which center around protecting someone from bodily harm.

In this situation the scumbag was fleeing and didn't appear to be a threat to anyone as such trying to shoot out the tires was reckless discharge and hence deemed llegal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies