Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2016, 07:48 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,661,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoke View Post
This is the PERFECT example of white privelidge.

If they were brown or black, they would be dead by now.

Osage Ave. Philly.

Old 01-05-2016, 08:09 AM

12,601 posts, read 7,229,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore1954 View Post
Why is it so important to people to have them identified as terrorists? Because they are viewed as right wing?
If it makes people feel good to call them that big deal but don't try to equate them with real terrorists like ISIS. Mass murders, beheading, etc. as opposed to taking over an empty building.

From Bundy's own reason for these actions:

"I began to understand how the Lord felt about the Hammonds," Bundy says in the video. "I began to understand how the Lord felt about Harney County and about this country. And I clearly understood that the Lord was not pleased with what was happening to the Hammonds…. If we allowed the Hammonds to continue to be punished, there would be accountability."

In another video, also posted Dec. 31, militia member John Ritzheimer bids farewell to his family as he prepares to drive to Oregon, where he says he is "100 percent willing to lay my life down in order to fight tyranny."

1. Using religion as a reason for their actions? Check.
2. Fighting against the U.S. Government? Check.
3. Willing to kill for what THEY believe? Check.
4. Armed to the teeth? Check.

Reads like radical Christian terrorism to me.

Old 01-05-2016, 08:15 AM

1,535 posts, read 1,392,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post

Actually, the Bundys aside, a significant number of the militia members are secular. The motivating factor to these stand offs is not religion, but socio political views.

Likewise, though McVeigh sympathized with a religous group, he himself was an atheist who adhered to "natural law and science".

Old 01-05-2016, 08:16 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,060,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
From Bundy's own reason for these actions:

"I began to understand how the Lord felt about the Hammonds," Bundy says in the video. "I began to understand how the Lord felt about Harney County and about this country. And I clearly understood that the Lord was not pleased with what was happening to the Hammonds…. If we allowed the Hammonds to continue to be punished, there would be accountability."

In another video, also posted Dec. 31, militia member John Ritzheimer bids farewell to his family as he prepares to drive to Oregon, where he says he is "100 percent willing to lay my life down in order to fight tyranny."

As I said if it makes you feel good to refer to it as terrorism fine. I don't see anyone being terrorized though.
i just don't think it can be equated with ISIS or other groups that have killed many innocents.

Old 01-05-2016, 08:19 AM

1,592 posts, read 1,212,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoke View Post
This is the PERFECT example of white privelidge.

If they were brown or black, they would be dead by now.
I'm just over here, basking in how great it is to be white. All that white privilege.

*kicks up feet on desk - sips a fruity blender drink with cocktail umbrella*

Old 01-05-2016, 08:23 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,094,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore1954 View Post
As I said if it makes you feel good to refer to it as terrorism fine. I don't see anyone being terrorized though.
i just don't think it can be equated with ISIS or other groups that have killed many innocents.
If you don't see anyone being terrorized then you need your vision checked. The local school district has been shut down for the entire week. It wouldn't take a lot of critical thinking skills to draw a correlation between the increased presence of heavily armed men from out of town to closing the local schools...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...-for-the-week/

Old 01-05-2016, 08:43 AM

1,194 posts, read 1,100,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryptic View Post
Actually, the Bundys aside, a significant number of the militia members are secular. The motivating factor to these stand offs is not religion, but socio political views.

It appears that the majority or backbone of the Malheur Malcontents who profess a faith are Mormon. They have interlaced Christian scripture throughout their siren call for armed revolt.

In all fairness, the Mormon church has been assertively proactive in 'all but' excommunicating the participants in the Malheur armed takeover. The below quoted statements from Mormon elders are strongly nuanced so as to disavow scriptural basis for their actions and carefully 'all but' sever their fellowship (still leaving excommunication as part of the carrot/stick equation):

Mormon leaders to Oregon militia: Your religion isn't with you | The Salt Lake Tribune

Some may quite reasonably say that their church should have disfellowshipped and shunned them immediately when they undertook armed occupation of a federal building. Others may see this as a measured response to lure them to a peaceful conclusion. There is merit to both sides. I am far, far, from Mormon, but I do respect their early and hard condemnation of the armed takeover.

Old 01-05-2016, 08:50 AM

12,601 posts, read 7,229,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
The revolution will be televised!

But only if someone sends us some Funyons...
this is their new flag:

Old 01-05-2016, 09:00 AM

3,826 posts, read 3,388,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpm1 View Post
Who said otherwise? All I said is the fed is not popular in the west, you disagree? Its major land ownership is certainly a part to this dislike.

The fed owns land in the west to make sure us east coasters can go look at grazing land? lol

On the other hand, rich celebrities like Bruce Springsteen can take "farm" tax exemptions for their property, but never plant a single crop.

Old 01-05-2016, 09:02 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,060,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augiec View Post
If you don't see anyone being terrorized then you need your vision checked. The local school district has been shut down for the entire week. It wouldn't take a lot of critical thinking skills to draw a correlation between the increased presence of heavily armed men from out of town to closing the local schools...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...-for-the-week/
We have a different threshold for what is called being terrorized. I doubt if people in the area feel any terror.
Anger, annoyance, etc. probably.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies