Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2016, 04:16 PM

13,242 posts, read 4,921,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
When do the police actually stop crime? Most of the time they take statements at the scene and find the criminal after the fact.

I've cued up the video to the part where convicted criminals say they don't fear the police but the uncertainty of robbing a stranger. But the entire video is very good.
https://youtu.be/RR9RN_iSKtg?t=2m35s

Based on that, would a second patrol (there is only one a day right now) through my neighborhood stop someone from robbing my house or would the NRA license plate on my truck sitting in the driveway do a better job? Before you say "they will just rob you when you are not home", I work at home and some days my house looks like no one is there. I rarely answer the door if the bell rings. The only break-in of any house in my area has been during the afternoon when most people are away at work.
Hi there Robert_J,

Thanks & respect for your thoughtful reply. I gotta go in a few minutes but will come back sometime soon & will watch the entire video.

The research I linked to earlier, Understanding Why Crime Fell in the 1990s: Four Factors that Explain the Decline and Six that Do Not, discusses the increase in the number of police as one of the factors that explains the decline however is not the only factor. The author discusses various factors, for example, that might explain the decline in New York City for the time period studied.

Your personal research into your own neighborhood is also interesting to consider.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2016, 06:04 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,051,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Freedom is a very scary endeavor. Not meant for the weak.

It is the only thing, that keeps you free from total government enslavement.(where we are headed)
The US. Governments job 1, is to take the Constitution so they have all the power.
Like the Constitution even matters to them today. They have gotten away with so much in the past by stacking the supreme courts. Why stop now.
Yeah, I am not a dumb*ss who believes that a few personal firearms are going to overthrow a dictatorial, out of control government with access to nuclear weapons and a whole host of far more advanced weaponry. If the government ever went crazy on its own citizens, you would be totally screwed. That's what makes the "guns for protection from radical government" such stupid nonsense. You're living in a ridiculous fantasy world.

Old 01-08-2016, 11:28 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,926,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Yeah, I am not a dumb*ss who believes that a few personal firearms are going to overthrow a dictatorial, out of control government with access to nuclear weapons and a whole host of far more advanced weaponry. If the government ever went crazy on its own citizens, you would be totally screwed. That's what makes the "guns for protection from radical government" such stupid nonsense. You're living in a ridiculous fantasy world.
You aren't kidding. When one of their aircraft takes you out, it is more than a mile away. You can't see it or hear it. One second you are here and in the next you aren't. Vaporized is the word they are using to describe what happens to you after a drone strike. It sure would be great not to have to explain this anymore. Does anyone seriously believe that the reason they have a Glock 9mm in the nightstand drawer is to take on Uncle Sam? Of course not. Thing is... as I understand it, no matter where you actually keep your gun, it is rarely handy when things go sideways.

Old 01-09-2016, 12:17 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,934,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
You aren't kidding. When one of their aircraft takes you out, it is more than a mile away. You can't see it or hear it. One second you are here and in the next you aren't. Vaporized is the word they are using to describe what happens to you after a drone strike. It sure would be great not to have to explain this anymore. Does anyone seriously believe that the reason they have a Glock 9mm in the nightstand drawer is to take on Uncle Sam? Of course not. Thing is... as I understand it, no matter where you actually keep your gun, it is rarely handy when things go sideways.
So explain to me why we haven't destroyed the Taliban in Afghanistan completely? Why is ISIS still in the news? Yes, total destruction is something our government is very capable of, but that would en-tale destruction of the infrastructure that would be needed in the aftermath, and who would rebuild it? Our government doesn't seem to have such a great track record at gorilla warfare or urban warfare. No, your 9mm Glock wouldn't be too effective, but the US is much larger and more populated than any of the countries that they have failed to conquer in recent years. I don't advocate the overthrow by force of the government, but to think that it isn't possible?

Old 01-09-2016, 12:36 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,827,584 times
Quote:
right because the US military is perfect and kills all enemies it goes after.

the reality is that even the vaunted US military is vulnerable to guerrilla warfare tactics, just ask the taliban, al qeada, the VC, etc. and it isnt going to be a few pistols either, but rather hunting rifles. a few snipers can pin down a platoon of soldiers.

Old 01-09-2016, 03:49 AM

4,911 posts, read 3,428,774 times
Quote:
The only amendment, that is protected by its very wording, to never ever be altered or eliminated from the US Constitution.

People that do not understand law. Words mean everything in law, when they start yelling the 2nd amendment can be amended and the Supreme Court is now our creators, as GOD.

Shall not be infringed. Means just that. An Amendment would be an infringement, of individual rights.
No, it does not mean just that

Old 01-09-2016, 03:50 AM

4,911 posts, read 3,428,774 times
Quote:
Words in law are taken how they are written.
Shall not be infringed. An amendment, would in fact be an infringement, would it not.
No, it would not

Old 01-09-2016, 06:02 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,850,288 times
I suspect that the biggest single supplier of guns to bad guys, is the closest "good guy with a gun"...

Old 01-09-2016, 06:09 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,116,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
I suspect that the biggest single supplier of guns to bad guys, is the closest "good guy with a gun"...
Is that how it is in Florida BOB?

Old 01-09-2016, 06:13 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,116,634 times
Quote:
You and your pals keep talking that BS. We'll survive and you won't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies