Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2016, 01:14 PM

8,523 posts, read 7,518,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
It is not arms, without cap & ball.(see Militia Act)
Milita Act, not 2nd Amendment?

I know the difference eludes you.

Quote:
It does not say the right to keep and bear a metal and wooden club.
Apparently, it means whatever you want it to say.

Quote:
That issue has been settle long ago. They have gotten a supreme court to say some ammo is illegal(shall not be infringed and all that)

The very government we told not to mess with our arms, made damn sure we didn't have the arms they soon acquired. The 2nd amendment doesn't say, the right of the government to keep & bear arms. No where, so it must have been left to the 10th amendment and states could have arms.... Wait?? Before the Civil War, it was just like that. The Federal Government power was all state militia.
The New York 51st Battalion Virgina 33rd Regiment. Maryland 12th Calvary. Alabama 3rd.......
So much fail....Even Antonin Scalia disagrees with you.

I'll always see you as this:

Quote:
I personally, as flesh & blood individual am tired of being bullied. I can only be bullied, by someone is more powerful than I.

Being the small guy in my class at school, I had my fair share of bullies. I learned how to deal with them, quite effectively. Strike first and strike hard, when threatened with harm.
Some one who is small and fearful. It colors your entire life. What a terrible way to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2016, 01:16 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,977,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
This is absolutely ridiculous. Even in England where guns are very restricted, they have moved to arm their police officers for a reason.
Not the reason that guns make them any safer! Which is my point. As we speak, an East Coast police officer is recovering from injuries he received when an ambusher put three shots into his arm. He was able to return fire and wound his attacker. Failure all around. Inept attacker, LUCKY law enforcement officer, and a questionable outcome.

Quote:
What police officer (or gun advocate) doesn't think that America is chock full of armed thugs bent on rape and pillage? They all do. Law enforcent can be excused, perhaps, but the general law abiding public? I think not. I used to live in a very dangerous part of town and whenever I saw certain people there, I knew it was because they were carrying, and emboldened by what they thought was some kind of force field of invincibility. Yeah, right. Yes there are a lot of guns out there but that does not mean we have to accept that the only way forward is to just let the good, the bad and the ugly go at it and let God sort them out. Again, if it were not so that there is an inordinate amount of collateral damage to innocent (and not so innocent0 familiars of the gun owning general public there would not be much to say. Do you really think this thread is because gang thugs in Chicago's South Side murder each other daily??!! This thread is (a reaction to) because nice people... young children, innocent middle class mothers and fathers lose their lives several times a week under tragic circumstances, all related in some way to a firearm.

Quote:
Sorry you are the one that is arrogant and insensitive to a right that I have specifically stated in the Constitution as you want to severely restrict my right or eliminate it all together (which one is it?).
Most people just want to restrict your Constitutional rights. You should be glad you are dealing with one of them in President Obama. If I were in a position to have any influence only the State Police and the Military would have any real access to firearms. Local police and the general public would have long guns only. Small arms would be banned outright. They are a menace. Poorly secured, poorly used, and with scant accountability for their poor utilization. I'd end all that. Can I be any more clear?

Nor do I wish to leave any of you gun types comfortless. Just handgunless. I have little doubt that without the low bar of projectile weapons to sell to the general public at insane markup, that without that, the development of superior, but non-lethal, weaponry would explode.

Old 01-08-2016, 01:19 PM

78,862 posts, read 46,812,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svendrell View Post
Nothing like slapping another guy across the face with a glove. Funny how some things died out.

I would have my glove in my hand taking a swat, more than not these days.

Old 01-08-2016, 01:24 PM

78,862 posts, read 46,812,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
I'm not interested in playing guessing games.
Ah, come on.. I gave you one hell of a hint!

Leading up to that day, like no other before that day, guns were flying off the shelves. It set records until Obama came to office.

The era of households with guns, stopped declining.
It has not stopped increasing since and only escalating with Obama taking office.

There were less murders per capita in the 1800's than there are even today. Why? Everyone had a gun. You may miss and they get you!

Old 01-08-2016, 01:34 PM

1,592 posts, read 1,220,166 times
Quote:
I would have my glove in my hand taking a swat, more than not these days.
I didn't mean personally toward you, BentBow. More a commentary on how people got on back then. It'd be amusing to see it today, especially in a bar context. A bar fight that starts with a glove slap lol.

Old 01-08-2016, 01:35 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,399,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Police should not be armed and by extension neither should the Secret Service. Not because armed protection has failed at times, but because armed protection fails all the time. When it hasn't failed, it hasn't been needed. That is about 99.9% of the time.
You are really going above and beyond to prove you have absolutely no idea what so ever about firearms, the police, self defense or crime. Absolutely 100% ignorant. You've clearly done zero, non what so ever, research into the subject beyond listening to the echo chamber in your own closed mind. You could easily be shown thousands of cases where armed protection not only didn't fail but was the only option and you still wouldn't admit you're wrong.

American Rifleman | The Armed Citizen®
https://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/armed-citizen/

I'm sure in your totally uneducated, smug, self righteous opinion every single one of these was a failure.

Old 01-08-2016, 01:43 PM

119 posts, read 111,762 times
I think you meant looking down the barrel of a gun. But in any case you're wrong. Look to the vast majority of European countries. Most are democratic.

Quote:
You will be looking at the barrel of a gun, if you do not consent to give up your rights.
That is a FACT.

Old 01-08-2016, 01:46 PM

29,590 posts, read 19,758,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post

Most people just want to restrict your Constitutional rights. You should be glad you are dealing with one of them in President Obama. If I were in a position to have any influence only the State Police and the Military would have any real access to firearms. Local police and the general public would have long guns only. Small arms would be banned outright. They are a menace. Poorly secured, poorly used, and with scant accountability for their poor utilization. I'd end all that. Can I be any more clear?

Nor do I wish to leave any of you gun types comfortless. Just handgunless. I have little doubt that without the low bar of projectile weapons to sell to the general public at insane markup, that without that, the development of superior, but non-lethal, weaponry would explode.
This is all that I needed to read to fully understand the type of person you are.

Thankfully someone like yourself has no influence. ZERO.
Thankfully, we have a system in place that protects my Constitutional rights
Thankfully, President Obama does not rule alone, or make laws, and can be checked by the other two branches of government.
Thankfully, amending the constitution is no piece of cake. The 2A will be around a lot longer than you or I
Thankfully, I don't live in a society where citizens are defenseless. There are millions of guns in the hands of criminals. Do you actually believe that I will be safer if I no longer would be able to legally protect my home and family?

Old 01-08-2016, 02:06 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,981,834 times
Quote:
Y'know what's strange? Gun homicides in the US have been decreasing since the peak in 1993.

Although I don't think it's as clear what factors are responsible for the decrease. If these factors were easily identified, I think most folks would be willing to consider.
Quote:
Guess what happened February 28, 1994.... Just guess.

HINT: Leading up to this date above, is a comparison what happened when the word of limiting our choices again, always gets out. 1933 was a stellar year for fully automatic weapon sales.

When more guns are sold, the murder rate always goes down.
beyond bentbows suggestion, 1993 was about the time when shall issue concealed carry laws started coming into effect around the country. when they first came into effect in florida, the criminal element started preying on tourists rather than residents. the reason? as one criminal stated, he knew that tourists would not be armed, and he didnt want to get shot.

Old 01-08-2016, 02:24 PM

13,240 posts, read 4,959,897 times
Quote:
Some research has looked at gun ownership as a risk factor for homicide, for example:

MMS: Error
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
beyond bentbows suggestion, 1993 was about the time when shall issue concealed carry laws started coming into effect around the country. when they first came into effect in florida, the criminal element started preying on tourists rather than residents. the reason? as one criminal stated, he knew that tourists would not be armed, and he didnt want to get shot.
Hi there rbohm,

I appreciate the less drama, more critical thinking style evidenced in your reply. I think it's important to consider all possible, plausible factors.

Discouraging folks from looking into, researching, studying important issues doesn't make sense to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies