Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2016, 10:55 AM

89,082 posts, read 44,906,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
How is it possible that millions of people now have insurance that did not
That's not actually true. There's been a net LOSS of those who have insurance, and a huge GAIN of those placed on Medicaid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Quote:
"The RAND study estimates 11.2 million Americans are insured through new state and federal marketplaces created under the Affordable Care Act, including 4.1 million who are newly covered and 7.1 million people who transitioned to marketplace plans from another source of coverage.

In addition, among the 12.6 million Americans newly enrolled in Medicaid, 6.5 million were previously uninsured and 6.1 million were previously insured."
Health Coverage Grows Under Affordable Care Act | RAND

So, what Obamacare did was newly insure only 4.1 million people on plans for which they pay (with many of them getting subsidies), while removing 6.1 million from paid insurance plans and placing them on Medicaid (for which they don't pay). It's a net LOSS of those paying into the system to spread the expense and make insurance more affordable for all. That's why those who have it are complaining they can't afford to use it. Read the CNN and NY Times links I posted.
The CNN and NY Times links:

Why Obamacare fails poor and middle class - CNN.com

Many Say High Deductibles Make Their Obamacare Insurance Useless
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/15/us...t-useless.html

Old 01-07-2016, 10:57 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,169,371 times
Quote:
I'm actually already doing it... just not in the US. Mexico has UHC. It's awesome. Some of the taxes are higher, but health care is crazy cheap for essentially the same services. It's a shame that a country with so many problems with corruption and poverty can still manage to do something right the US can't seem to grasp. Then again, it doesn't have a Republican Party.
I've been to mexico, I couldnt get medical treatment without paying cash in advance, have actually spent months there, with my gf who suffered a huge illness, where we had to fly into Dallas for her to get treatment.

try again
Quote:
Nope, never been homeless, but nor do I believe you ever have been. An experience like that would be pretty perspective altering, and you show zero compassion or empathy for those less fortunate than you. So either you learned nothing or it didn't happen. I'm leaning toward the latter.
What you believe is immaterial, but I note from your previous paragraph the discussion about crime and corruption, but somehow think that wouldnt happen if we followed the same steps... Ridiculous

Old 01-07-2016, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Not at all true, most who have insurance as a result of ACA had insurance previously, it just moved people from the private sector onto welfare. And because now these people are being paid for by the taxpayer, this increased the cost on everyone who had insurance, thus making it even less affordable
Exactly, as I just posted.

Old 01-07-2016, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Ironic considering so many of those countries actually have a higher quality of life than the US does.
So... why are Dems not introducing and passing bills/laws to implement a 20-25% VAT tax on everyone, and taxing the middle class at the highest marginal rate?

Old 01-07-2016, 11:05 AM

8,636 posts, read 9,149,643 times
Quote:
So is Obamacare. Or do you not watch CNN or read the NY Times?

Why Obamacare fails poor and middle class - CNN.com

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/15/us...t-useless.html
Those high risk plans were by far much more costly than anything the ACA provides hands down today. Those deductibles where in the $10,000 range, thousands per month in premiums. They where not really supposed to be available but reluctantly so. Also, as mentioned earlier perhaps those risk pools could have moved into welfare? In that case we would not qualify for any kind of welfare what so ever. We were not poor and we did not lack assets, however they where evaporating rapidly. And I will also say we where not freaks, being human/mortal and all, I'm sure it happens by the 10s of thousands of folks per year. Small, yes compared to 350 million citizens.

Old 01-07-2016, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
Those high risk plans were by far much more costly than anything the ACA provides hands down today.
Nope. As I posted...

Quote:
Regarding states' high-risk insurance pools available LONG before Obamacare...And that's different from Obamacare how?
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Many offer options with individual deductibles of $5,000–$10,000
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/15/us...less.html?_r=0

Old 01-07-2016, 11:12 AM

8,636 posts, read 9,149,643 times
Quote:
Paid for how? By instituting a 20-25% VAT tax plus applying the highest marginal income tax rates to the middle class like European and Scandinavian countries do?
Those high rates have been going on before the ACA. A matter of fact, before my boss died, leaving us without coverage/contributor/COBRA our rates where over $800 in premiums per month, just for two, and that was before the ACA. If there was a single payer, where the worker and the employer contribute as a tax, the overhead and the costs would drop like a rock and still come in lower than what many pay into the for-profit middleman, multilayered mess of a cluster funk we have today.

Old 01-07-2016, 11:15 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,091,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToRow View Post
Please move there, you'd be much happier and so would the rest of us.
The standard defensive response. Rather than addressing a known reality, be 5 years old.

Old 01-07-2016, 11:15 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,636,855 times
Then you wonder why their own people call it the STUPID party?

Old 01-07-2016, 11:16 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,169,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
Those high risk plans were by far much more costly than anything the ACA provides hands down today. Those deductibles where in the $10,000 range, thousands per month in premiums. They where not really supposed to be available but reluctantly so. Also, as mentioned earlier perhaps those risk pools could have moved into welfare? In that case we would not qualify for any kind of welfare what so ever. We were not poor and we did not lack assets, however they where evaporating rapidly. And I will also say we where not freaks, being human/mortal and all, I'm sure it happens by the 10s of thousands of folks per year. Small, yes compared to 350 million citizens.
Those policies were far more costly to the few, but now EVERYONE ELSE has to bear the prices to "fix" the small segment that had to pay such huge fees..

Thats MILLIONS who are now paying more, for the housands who had such costly plans.. and many of the new millions, have HIGH DEDUCTIBLES..

one minute high deductibles for a small segment bad.. the next, replacing it with high deductibles for millions, are just fine...

you cant even keep the talking point straight
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies