Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2016, 08:47 AM

988 posts, read 687,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsRock View Post
Gun "nut" = mental illness = getting put on a government list= losing your right to bear arms. See how that works?
No, I don't see how that works, because you made it up. It is a fear you have, nothing that is possible in our current political climate. The courts have shown themselves reluctant to let government, family members, etc. define people as mentally ill.

A large majority of the American public including gun owners supports background checks and has for a long time. Polls have already come out showing that the American public supports Obama's initiative. This issue is a loser for the GOP and NRA.

People tune you out and label you as "gun nuts", because if you oppose background checks you are obviously not interested in taking even the most uninjurious steps to help curb gun violence. Even if you think that background checks won't keep criminals from getting guns, you certainly can't argue that background checks help criminals get guns. All of you big tough guys crying about how "infringed" you feel by having to fill out a background check at a gun show. Oh, the anguish. Poor babies. Meanwhile you don't propose any meaningful steps to curb gun violence.

The problem, psychologically, is that you are focused on yourself. With you, society is a one-way street. It's "I, I, I, me, me, me, mine, mine, mine." Everything is your "rights", and nothing has to do with your responsibility to others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2016, 08:50 AM

41,007 posts, read 49,469,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unwillingphoenician View Post
A large majority of the American public including gun owners supports background checks and has for a long time. Polls have already come out showing that the American public supports Obama's initiative. This issue is a loser for the GOP and NRA.
I don't buy it. If a large majority supported more controls, laws would be passed through Congress.
Just the opposite. Most Americans do not support and Congress is listening to the people.

Also, the Constitution protects the rights of the Minority from the whims of the majority.

Old 01-08-2016, 08:51 AM

89,672 posts, read 45,271,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
So if I buy a gun and my wife or son needs to use it because I'm not around, they should not be able to fire the weapon?

If I want to loan my shotgun to a friend to do a little trap shooting, he could not use?

Why don't they use the same technology for autos to prevent theft? That way only you could drive your car.

Also, If someone can hack your computer or cable box, they can easily hack this software.

Especially poignant because automobiles kill more people than do guns. And there isn't even a Constitutional Right to keep and bear automobiles.

Old 01-08-2016, 08:52 AM

50,628 posts, read 47,473,332 times
Quote:
So if I buy a gun and my wife or son needs to use it because I'm not around, they should not be able to fire the weapon ?
If I want to loan my shotgun to a friend to do a little trap shooting, he could not use ?

Why don't they use the same technology for autos to prevent theft? That way only you could drive your car.

Also, If someone can hack your computer or cable box, they can easily hack this software.
It would be no more difficult than unlocking a cell phone or rooting one.

Old 01-08-2016, 08:53 AM

Quote:
I don't buy it. If a large majority supported more controls, laws would be passed through Congress.
Just the opposite. Most Americans do not support and Congress is listening to the people.

Also, the Constitution protects the rights of the Minority from the whims of the majority.
Let me help you out, since you seem unclear on the concept.

Google "background checks support American public."

You're welcome.

Old 01-08-2016, 08:56 AM

858 posts, read 710,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Just one reason of many... It would prevent a safety course trained user (spouse, responsible teen child, etc.) from using another household member's gun for self-defense. It's too restrictive. If my husband goes to check out a noise downstairs and gets incapacitated by an intruder, why shouldn't I have the ability to use one of his guns to protect myself?

Or are you admitting that by implementing such technology, every American should have their own gun on them at all times?
I'm saying that it would be the choice of the owner. that's what I said not ALL people would purchase one, but SOME would. Maybe I want it to be restrictive. Why would NRA try to take away that choice and prevent progress which could help some situations?

Old 01-08-2016, 08:57 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,152,529 times
Quote:
Let me help you out, since you seem unclear on the concept.

Google "background checks support American public."

You're welcome.
We understand how angry your type is that you are on the losing side of this issue, but there is help as close as a mental health professional.

Old 01-08-2016, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
We understand how angry your type is that you are on the losing side of this issue, but there is help as close as a mental health professional.
I support background checks, as do an overwhelming majority of Americans, including gun owners.

That's the "winning" side of the issue, especially since background checks were just mandated at gun shows.

Old 01-08-2016, 09:00 AM

3,826 posts, read 3,401,182 times
Quote:
No, I don't see how that works, because you made it up. It is a fear you have, nothing that is possible in our current political climate. The courts have shown themselves reluctant to let government, family members, etc. define people as mentally ill.

People tune you out and label you as "gun nuts", because if you oppose background checks you are obviously not interested in taking even the most uninjurious steps to help curb gun violence. Even if you think that background checks won't keep criminals from getting guns, you certainly can't argue that background checks help criminals get guns. All of you big tough guys crying about how "infringed" you feel by having to fill out a background check at a gun show. Oh, the anguish. Poor babies. Meanwhile you don't propose any meaningful steps to curb gun violence.

The problem, psychologically, is that you are focused on yourself. With you, society is a one-way street. It's "I, I, I, me, me, me, mine, mine, mine." Everything is your "rights", and nothing has to do with your responsibility to others.

Would you consider a woman traumatized due to a rape as being "mentally ill"?

Old 01-08-2016, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsRock View Post
Would you consider a woman traumatized due to a rape as being "mentally ill"?
What is your point?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies