Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2016, 09:03 AM

858 posts, read 708,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
So if I buy a gun and my wife or son needs to use it because I'm not around, they should not be able to fire the weapon ?
If I want to loan my shotgun to a friend to do a little trap shooting, he could not use ?

Why don't they use the same technology for autos to prevent theft? That way only you could drive your car.

Also, If someone can hack your computer or cable box, they can easily hack this software.
Again, not ALL people would purchase a smart gun, but SOME would. Let's get that straight. There's no reason for NRA to be against it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2016, 09:06 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,835,417 times
The NRA didn't show up because they know they don't have a leg to stand on. The NRA fights for the right of terrorists to buy guns because it increases the bottom line for them and their gun manufacturers. They do not care about any victims of gun violence including children.

Old 01-08-2016, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post

Especially poignant because automobiles kill more people than do guns. And there isn't even a Constitutional Right to keep and bear automobiles.
Yeah, that is why we use automobiles, instead of firearms, to fight wars with.

Old 01-08-2016, 09:10 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,087,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
What's the downside, they could voice their opinion or suggestions to end gun violence.
They don't seem to have any interest in reducing gun violence. Every time we have another gun "event" (daily), more people go out and buy more guns. That suits the NRA objective to increase gun sales quite nicely.

What are a few dozen gun deaths when you can earn millions of dollars selling more hardware? Think about it in terms of the cigarette companies: it took 50 years for the public to get the message. Eventually people will "get it" with the gun issue, but nowhere near enough people have died yet for there to be any real outcry. In the meanwhile, the NRA feeds off the hysteria which they create: Get a gun; be safe!

Old 01-08-2016, 09:17 AM

89,060 posts, read 44,877,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
It would be no more difficult than unlocking a cell phone or rooting one.
Do you have any idea what percentage of the population can't do that? It would blow your mind. Just had to help the carpenter who's been doing work for me with this as he wanted to use his long out of contract verizon phone on a page plus plan. I had to edit his build file to make everything work.

Old 01-08-2016, 09:17 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,983,727 times
Re: background checks.

THINK, people!

IF we would have had a 100% background check requirement for ALL transactions involving firearms 5 years ago, would ANY of the mass shootings that have occurred been stopped?
Think about it.
Has there been ANY prosecutions in Washington State under the terms of I-594 that passed over a year ago?
Think about it.

Now, will 100% background checks on all firearm sales actually accomplish anything to reduce gun violence?
Again, think about it.
I really don't care, because I don't plan on buying any guns in the future, and if I do it won't be any problem to pass the background check (after all, I passed the background check for a Top Secret security clearance).
I really should go purchase my CCP, then I won't have to do a background check anymore!

I have given a lot of thought to the above three questions, and did a little research, and I concluded that the answer to all three was a resounding NO!

So, tell me again what good a law requiring 100% background checks for firearms transfers will do...

Old 01-08-2016, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
And if Obama was serious he'd address the inner city Black violence problem where gun violence really is a problem.

It's a people problem, not a gun problem.
Do you even know what Obama is proposing?

Read Obama's proposal. You might especially like the section on, " Make our communities safer from gun violence," since that is a concern of yours.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press...e-and-make-our

Old 01-08-2016, 09:19 AM

89,060 posts, read 44,877,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahboy79 View Post
I'm saying that it would be the choice of the owner.
If it's ONLY a choice made by the owner, I'd be good with that. Let those who know the dangers of such restrictions opt out. And guarantee that in perpetuity.

We know what a slippery slope eroding Constitutional Rights has become. At present, at least 40% of the Constitutional Bill of Rights: the 1st, 2nd, 4th, and 6th Amendments, are actively being eroded by the Obama Admin.

Old 01-08-2016, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
Yes, the NRA support criminal acts with illegally possessed firearms.

The NRA has long been about safety and responsible gun ownership. People seeing criminals becoming more brazen and violent are why people are buying their first guns. The NRA have nothing to do with that.
NRA foils attempts to keep guns out of hands of mentally ill, criminals, terrorists, and illegals so that citizens must buy guns to protect themselves from those people. Win-win for gun manufacturers.

Old 01-08-2016, 09:21 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,722,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahboy79 View Post
Again, not ALL people would purchase a smart gun, but SOME would. Let's get that straight. There's no reason for NRA to be against it.
The world and our Increasingly obtrusive Government doesn't work that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies