Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 10:46 AM

5,381 posts, read 2,847,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
I have friends who have brought up this issue with the supreme court justices. After expanding social rights, have they ever in history been reversed? I don't think my brother who is very right wing wants to bother with doing that.
There is the defunding of Planned Parenthood to deal with if a conservative wins... but when the Republican candidates confirm their pro life positions, what do their supporters want or expect them to do?

Exactly! Defunding PP will definitely be something a conservative president would request Congress to address. Beyond that, the President does not have the power (regardless of what OBama thinks) to rule like a dictator, and there is no way that the Congress will have enough votes to abolish Abortion or end SSM. Other than pushing these issues to the State levels where they belong, the next President will be focused on those issues that he has been constitutionally deemed to have any say about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2016, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
If the Republicans, especially these non-establishment Republicans
can get control of Congress and the Presidency, and replace outgoing
SC justices, yes, there can be reversals of some sort.

It will never happen. History clearly shows that the public tends to elect the opposite party to congressional seats to balance out the party of the President. There are short time periods (like the beginning of Obama's administration) where there is overlap.

This is just the fear mongering both sides do during election cycles.

Old 01-19-2016, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Republicans have been actively passing abortion restrictions at the state level, you all really doubt that a right wing Republican that got elected wouldn't go along with the House and Senate to pass more restrictions, with dreams of someday appointing SC justices who will overturn Roe v Wade? A lot them aren't just against abortion, they are against even contraception. The ultimate goal of far right Social Conservatives is to put women, gays, poor people, and non Whites "back in their place". That's why Moderates like me are forced to vote Democrat.

That is because it is a STATES RIGHTS issue. I can guarantee that is Cruz is elected, he will not be dealing with Abortion, because that is NOT a federal issue. That is what you loons fail to realize. Cruz is a constitutionalist. He WILL follow the constitution, and that means that he will not be making laws unilaterally and he will not be involved in legislating in areas that are clearly the Constitutional purview of the STATES!

Old 01-19-2016, 10:58 AM

32,822 posts, read 19,513,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
Just curious, realistically speaking what will happen to Abortion and Same Sex Marriage if a Republican wins, especially a very conservative one?
why would anything ''happen"""???

as a constitutional conservative, I have no problem with people getting abortions...I just dont want my taxpaying money being spent on other peoples poor choices...and I hate that some women thing abortions are a form of contraseptive

as to seme sex relationships...as an adult I understand you cant control who you fall in love with...I also understand the government should NOT be in the marriage bussiness...why do I need a piece of paper (ie permission that costs) to be with the one I love legally???.....get the government out of the relationship business, and quit pushing policies that divide

as a constitutional conservative I want freedom...not the oppressive liberal "do as I tell you"" government abuse of freedom

Old 01-19-2016, 12:06 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,067,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YanMarcs View Post
16-20 in the cycle ... I do not see any Supreme Court judge be appointed by new president.. if the President is Trump it will do absolutely nothing about it ... but you can be carefree probably we will have a Democrat in the presidency.
That is simply not true, there is a good chance the next President will be appointing new Supreme Court Justices.

And if the next President is a Republican, you can bet your life he will appoint justices that will vote to overturn Roe v Wade and SSM.

Supreme Court will weigh heavily in next presidential election | Washington Examiner

Quote:
By the middle of the next president’s term, however, there will be four justices in their 80s. Swapping out several of them could lead to a dramatic shift in the court that could reverberate for decades.

Old 01-19-2016, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post

as a constitutional conservative, I have no problem with people getting abortions...I just dont want my taxpaying money being spent on other peoples poor choices...and I hate that some women thing abortions are a form of contraseptive

as to seme sex relationships...as an adult I understand you cant control who you fall in love with...I also understand the government should NOT be in the marriage bussiness...why do I need a piece of paper (ie permission that costs) to be with the one I love legally???.....get the government out of the relationship business, and quit pushing policies that divide

as a constitutional conservative I want freedom...not the oppressive liberal "do as I tell you"" government abuse of freedom
You must be a male heterosexual who doesn't stand to lose any of YOUR personal freedoms if a Republican is elected President.

Old 01-19-2016, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye state your name View Post
Exactly! Defunding PP will definitely be something a conservative president would request Congress to address. Beyond that, the President does not have the power (regardless of what OBama thinks) to rule like a dictator, and there is no way that the Congress will have enough votes to abolish Abortion or end SSM. Other than pushing these issues to the State levels where they belong, the next President will be focused on those issues that he has been constitutionally deemed to have any say about.
Oh, is that all?

How would you feel about your marriage being declared null and void in your state?

No problem, right?

If you want to preserve your marriage ALL you have to do is quit your job, sell your home, leave family and friends behind and move to another state.......nothing to it.

Old 01-19-2016, 12:35 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,299,452 times
There will be a push for religious freedom laws, and possibly attempts to ebb away at abortion. It's also dependent on the abortion case before the Supreme Court as well. If the Court agrees that restrictions that Texas put in place are onerous, than you won't see much movement with abortion laws. Anti abortion activists will have to regroup after that as well. If they go the opposite way, than you will see renewed pushes to make abortions illegal in all but name.

Old 01-19-2016, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Oh, is that all?

How would you feel about your marriage being declared null and void in your state?

No problem, right?

If you want to preserve your marriage ALL you have to do is quit your job, sell your home, leave family and friends behind and move to another state.......nothing to it.

I personally think the government has no place is defining who can and cannot get married. The Government has no place at all in the marriage business.

And I am sorry if following the Constitution creates an issue for you, but blame those who created your problem in the first place by ignoring the Constitution in the first place.

Old 01-19-2016, 12:39 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,299,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post

I love how now that gay marriage is legal all the "Conservatives" want the Government to get out of the marriage business. Funny how there was no cry for that to happen before in mass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies