Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2016, 08:53 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,733,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by STWR View Post
I would ask you if you think it's fair to compare alcohol to computers.

Saudi Arabia make the game chess illegal. they say its causes gambling, and makes people enemies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2016, 09:00 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,736,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
1. Nowhere it says in the constitution that "A bunch of well regulated drunks, being necessary to the happiness of the State, the right of the people to drink alcohol shall not be infringed."

2. Please explain to me why anybody NEED to drink alcohol! I am not even joking. Who needs to drink alcohol?

3. Alcohol kills far more than guns. Each year, about 90,000 people died of alcohol v.s. 30,000 died of gun shots.

CDC - Fact Sheets-Alcohol Use And Health - Alcohol

Alcohol is clearly more dangerous than guns!
I don't drink ... ever. But I have enough sense to realize that Prohibition ultimately backfired. And today's War on Drugs is also failing, though the government is incredibly stubborn about owning up to that fact.

Fact is, humanity would be better off without alcohol and the entire list of illicit drugs. But whenever we undertake to protect human beings from themselves -- from doing things that directly harm nobody but themselves -- then it always backfires horribly.

Old 01-25-2016, 01:57 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,273,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
2. Please explain to me why anybody NEED to drink alcohol! I am not even joking. Who needs to drink alcohol?
You are absolutely correct and I am not even joking either. Nobody in the world needs to drink alcohol.

Sometimes a cold beer really hits the spot, though.

Old 01-25-2016, 02:21 PM

674 posts, read 611,609 times
Sadly, it doesn't seem like it's possible to prevent everyone from drinking in public.

Alcohol is dangerous. Very dangerous. Yet it's possible to use it in a safe way in a controlled environment. Just like guns. I don't like either, but I don't have a big problem with people who go target shooting or hunting, just like I don't have a problem with people who like to drink while watching sports at home.

One of the bigger problems we have is that there are many establishments out there that serve alcohol to people who drink it and then drive home. Drinking and driving is extremely dangerous to everyone, not just to the drunkard.

Addiction to alcohol also hurts drunkards' families quite a bit. It can destroy lives.

Given those dangers, it would be great if we had a way to ban or severely limit alcohol use. Unfortunately, no one has come up with a good way to do that, and it plays such a central role in culture almost everywhere that getting rid of it would be extremely difficult. Alcohol also seems to be a bit tied to rebellion (hence lots of drunk teenagers) and irreligion (teetotalers are often conflated with religious people), and that can lead to a somewhat defensive response when someone questions its use.

I think there's a bit more hope with guns, since those aren't as tied to culture as alcohol is. There are societies where people are perfectly happy without any guns. If I were founding a new country, I'd seriously consider not allowing any guns to be held by private citizens. However, that isn't going to happen in the U.S. It seems as though guns are just used as a way to try to pull votes from people. Overcoming the 2nd Amendment isn't going to happen, so a gun-free America is just a fantasy.

Really, alcohol scares me a lot more than guns. We see lots of people dying from guns on the news, yes, but drunk driving deaths happen so often that they don't even make the news. About 14,000 people are killed by drunk drivers every year in the U.S.

Then again, there are over 80,000 gun-related injuries each year, with about 11,000 homicides and 20,000 suicides.

I'm more scared of alcohol just because it feels as though it's harder to get away from it. Gun violence feels like the sort of thing that happens to other people. I've been hit by drunk drivers before (and yes, I was injured pretty badly at least once).

Old 01-25-2016, 02:42 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,953,657 times
Hammers too. Nobody should have access to a hammer except a trained licensed carpenter.

When I was a kid and drove an ambulance I went to TWO hammer killings, and one where a gal was hiut twenty times in the head and lived, if you can call what she had left, living.

Clearly hammers should be regulated.

Oh and force motorcyclists to wear helments, cause you know wehat's good for them.

Old 01-25-2016, 06:50 PM

6,795 posts, read 7,289,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlAndSparrow View Post
Sadly, it doesn't seem like it's possible to prevent everyone from drinking in public.

Alcohol is dangerous. Very dangerous. Yet it's possible to use it in a safe way in a controlled environment. Just like guns. I don't like either, but I don't have a big problem with people who go target shooting or hunting, just like I don't have a problem with people who like to drink while watching sports at home.

One of the bigger problems we have is that there are many establishments out there that serve alcohol to people who drink it and then drive home. Drinking and driving is extremely dangerous to everyone, not just to the drunkard.

Addiction to alcohol also hurts drunkards' families quite a bit. It can destroy lives.

Given those dangers, it would be great if we had a way to ban or severely limit alcohol use. Unfortunately, no one has come up with a good way to do that, and it plays such a central role in culture almost everywhere that getting rid of it would be extremely difficult. Alcohol also seems to be a bit tied to rebellion (hence lots of drunk teenagers) and irreligion (teetotalers are often conflated with religious people), and that can lead to a somewhat defensive response when someone questions its use.

I think there's a bit more hope with guns, since those aren't as tied to culture as alcohol is. There are societies where people are perfectly happy without any guns. If I were founding a new country, I'd seriously consider not allowing any guns to be held by private citizens. However, that isn't going to happen in the U.S. It seems as though guns are just used as a way to try to pull votes from people. Overcoming the 2nd Amendment isn't going to happen, so a gun-free America is just a fantasy.

Really, alcohol scares me a lot more than guns. We see lots of people dying from guns on the news, yes, but drunk driving deaths happen so often that they don't even make the news. About 14,000 people are killed by drunk drivers every year in the U.S.

Then again, there are over 80,000 gun-related injuries each year, with about 11,000 homicides and 20,000 suicides.

I'm more scared of alcohol just because it feels as though it's harder to get away from it. Gun violence feels like the sort of thing that happens to other people. I've been hit by drunk drivers before (and yes, I was injured pretty badly at least once).
You really do not belong in the USA. You do not have a beginning of a clue what the principals and ethics this country was founded on are all about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies