Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2016, 02:02 AM

4,492 posts, read 3,942,457 times

Advertisements

I believe that the president should nominate a replacement as is his responsibility as president. Then, I think that the Senate should fulfill it's responsibility and have a fair vote on the nominee.......when they find the time. The Senate's pretty busy, you know, can't expect them to just drop everything. I think they should be free in about a year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2016, 02:16 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,847,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
I believe that the president should nominate a replacement as is his responsibility as president. Then, I think that the Senate should fulfill it's responsibility and have a fair vote on the nominee.......when they find the time. The Senate's pretty busy, you know, can't expect them to just drop everything. I think they should be free in about a year.
Sure, Obama should nominate a replacement. He should do it after careful thought and consideration. Somehow I think he has another Sotomayor ready to go.

Old 02-14-2016, 02:25 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,922,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
It's not possible to delay it for that long. That would be obstruction.

I respect that not everyone in the United States is born and educated here. I don't know what the rules are in your country but in the United States, we follow The Constitution. And as much as I disagree with Obama and much of his policies, that doesn't change the way I feel about The Constitution. You have to be completely ignorant about America to even suggest that Obama is not bound to do his job of nominating a replacement. Worse, such Anti-American support for obstruction is concerning.

I suggest you learn about our laws and how our government works if you plan to live here.
If interfering with the destruction of the US Constitution is obstruction so be it. No nominee will be approved in Obama's term. That would require Obama to compromise. Like Reagan did after Bork.

Was Bork's rejection obstruction?

Old 02-14-2016, 02:28 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,847,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
If interfering with the destruction of the US Constitution is obstruction so be it. No nominee will be approved in Obama's term. That would require Obama to compromise. Like Reagan did after Bork.

It makes no difference. If any appointment is shot down, it's Republican obstruction. You must be new here.

Old 02-14-2016, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
It makes no difference. If any appointment is shot down, it's Republican obstruction. You must be new here.
The longest Supreme Court vacancy was 27 months, you must be ignorant of history.

Was rejecting Bork obstruction?

Old 02-14-2016, 02:33 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,189,055 times
Quote:

There's a difference between delaying the nomination and simply voting down the nomination. Obama, like the Senate, should compromise to find someone to fill the seat. That's their job.

Appointing someone to the supreme court does not destruct the Constitution. In fact, it is the proper course of action according to the Constitution. I suggest you read it.

Old 02-14-2016, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
There's a difference between delaying the nomination and simply voting down the nomination. Obama, like the Senate, should compromise to find someone to fill the seat. That's their job.

Appointing someone to the supreme court does not destruct the Constitution. In fact, it is the proper course of action according to the Constitution. I suggest you read it.
No one studies the Constitution anymore. I suggest you read the Federalist Papers. Obama will not compromise, it is the story of his Presidency.

Old 02-14-2016, 03:08 AM

1,906 posts, read 2,044,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Anthony Kennedy says hi.
Right....this is exactly the same scenario....

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
The Republicans are simply out of options in this case. There is little they can do. Obama has spent 7 years frustrating them because they're so damn reactionary and constantly tip their cards.

The Republicans can't prevail in this fight. The math doesn't add up in their favor. In fact, this couldn't have worked out any better for Obama.

The election year is gonna make the Republicans even more tempted to out wacko each other. Obama will SURELY nominate someone that will make Republicans squirm and seethe in anger, and the nominee will be unimpeachable...so much so that the Republicans will have little choice but to eat it.

And you can bet your ass that it won't be a white male moderate. Obama has to be licking his chops at this opportunity.
It doesn't matter who he nominates....and they don't have to be impeachable. They stall. Then they vote no. Rinse, repeat for every single nominee.

The only chance Obama has of nominating this supreme court justice is if he picks someone that the repubs actually like. I don't think thats gonna happen.

Old 02-14-2016, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
Sure they do. It's a shame that you don't.
That is part of a Robert Bork quote. People study the decisions but few study the Federalist papers or the Constitutional Convention. Our Constitution has been severely damaged and we our one justice away from our property right, our 2nd Amendment rights and our 1st Amendment rights from being seriously curtailed. Too bad you are incapable of understanding this.

Old 02-14-2016, 03:19 AM

8,305 posts, read 3,827,689 times
Quote:
That is part of a Robert Bork quote. People study the decisions but few study the Federalist papers or the Constitutional Convention. Our Constitution has been severely damaged and we our one justice away from our property right, our 2nd Amendment rights and our 1st Amendment rights from being seriously curtailed. Too bad you are incapable of understanding this.
I'm most certain that I understand this better than you and most people as it is my job. I am a constitutional lawyer. I spend the better half of my day interpreting the application and intent of the constitution as it was when written and in the modern day.

It's a shame that you are so misguided from reality. My suggestion is to do your own research and don't just believe everything you hear from the peanut gallery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies