Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2016, 02:46 AM

3,850 posts, read 1,791,151 times

Advertisements

I'm just curious what you all think we need to do about about the U.S. losing so many manufacturing jobs in the U.S.? More and more companies are leaving to build on foreign soil. I've read that since 1980 we've lost more than 7 million jobs to this very problem.

We as Americans need to do something, but what? What would bring back these jobs? and prevent future loss of more jobs? I think it's critical for our future to do so.

NOT Made in America: Top 10 Ways Walmart Destroys US Manufacturing Jobs | Demos

Three Ways to Bring Manufacturing Back to America by Anne Kim | The Washington Monthly

this is good to know:

http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/mon...mexican-plant/

I've always heard buy goods that say made in the U.S.A but that's not exactly easy to do.

I try to support local farmer markets and local places but I also shop at big box stores.

Our trade deal need to change, but who's going to implement that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2016, 02:57 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,902,520 times
Google "The case for free trade Milton Friedman"

Old 02-14-2016, 03:00 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,839,732 times
I'm sure it won't be the most popular idea, but we need to examine the current effect of unions. There are many jobs that have highly inflated wages for no other reason than union representation. This is not the final word by any measure, but we need to recognize some people aren't worth what they're being paid.

Mean? Maybe. Truth? Unfortunately.

Added:

I'm all for a honest wage for honest work. I don't think someone should work 40 hours and still need government assistance. I also don't believe someone should be able to bleed a company for "medical leave" because they're going to rehab for the 3rd time. If you're doing coke or heroin, GFY. I'm not paying you your salary to sit in rehab.

I don't hate unions, but I think their original purpose is no longer as relevant as it was.

Bring the hate.

Old 02-14-2016, 05:00 AM

3,120 posts, read 8,067,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Google "The case for free trade Milton Friedman"
...except it's not really trade in a classic sense. Manufactured goods and services are not being traded for other manufactured goods and services consistent with comparative advantage. Rather, what you're witnessing is global labor arbitrage. Instead, what's being traded are hard assets (real estate and business ownership) for ephemeral manufactured goods. This short video might be insightful.

A good way to think of global labor arbitrage is like a sudden massive increase the supply of workers relative to capital (jobs), like merging the world's different labor pools into one pool, resulting in a averaging out of wages and standard of living. Unfortunately, because overwhelming majority of people in the world are poor, the end result of an averaging will be that most Americans will become impoverished as the purchasing power of their wages decrease, just like people are in third world countries.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DvuyvuHmJI

Old 02-14-2016, 05:42 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,245,345 times
Less regulations, less taxes. Which aint going to happen because the voting sheep all want more out of the government and not less; they are digging their own grave out of greed

Old 02-14-2016, 07:56 AM

2,962 posts, read 5,003,528 times
You'd either have to enact highly restrictive trade regulations or lower wages to the level of the countries where jobs are going. Neither would be desirable.

Old 02-14-2016, 07:59 AM

4,899 posts, read 3,556,787 times
fix the trade bills so that they're more favorable to the US, for starters. They are VERY lopsided and stacked against us.

we can't obviously pay people less. it costs more to live here than in Mexico or China.

Old 02-14-2016, 08:01 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,557,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintergirl80 View Post
I'm just curious what you all think we need to do about about the U.S. losing so many manufacturing jobs in the U.S.? More and more companies are leaving to build on foreign soil. I've read that since 1980 we've lost more than 7 million jobs to this very problem.

We as Americans need to do something, but what? What would bring back these jobs? and prevent future loss of more jobs? I think it's critical for our future to do so.

NOT Made in America: Top 10 Ways Walmart Destroys US Manufacturing Jobs | Demos

Three Ways to Bring Manufacturing Back to America by Anne Kim | The Washington Monthly

this is good to know:

Ford announces new U.S production day after Trump blasts its $2.5 Mexican plant | Fox News Latino

I've always heard buy goods that say made in the U.S.A but that's not exactly easy to do.

I try to support local farmer markets and local places but I also shop at big box stores.

Our trade deal need to change, but who's going to implement that?

No it's not easy to do but it IS the solution. If we all started refusing to buy products not made in the USA it would not be long before companies would start manufacturing here. The problem is that we'd have to do without the luxuries we've become accustomed to for a time. Imagine what would happen if everyone decided to keep their old cell phone until they could buy one made in the USA. If everyone stopped buying cell phones made abroad and wrote a letter to their carrier explaining why. We'll never do it though. We like our tech and we want the latest tech so we pretend it doesn't matter and buy the latest and greatest no matter where it's made.

The reason so little is made here is that we insist on getting the latest and greatest for the cheapest price possible. Of course when it's no longer made here they just raise the price and we pay it because we want the latest and greatest. We've been sold down the consumerism river without a proper means of propulsion.

Old 02-14-2016, 08:04 AM

4,899 posts, read 3,556,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
No it's not easy to do but it IS the solution. If we all started refusing to buy products not made in the USA it would not be long before companies would start manufacturing here. The problem is that we'd have to do without the luxuries we've become accustomed to for a time. Imagine what would happen if everyone decided to keep their old cell phone until they could buy one made in the USA. If everyone stopped buying cell phones made abroad and wrote a letter to their carrier explaining why. We'll never do it though. We like our tech and we want the latest tech so we pretend it doesn't matter and buy the latest and greatest no matter where it's made.
never going to happen. there are no electronics products are made in the US anymore. not just phones.

Old 02-14-2016, 08:05 AM

15,640 posts, read 10,400,743 times
Simplify corporate tax code and lower corporate taxes.
Impose trade restrictions or VAT on foreign made products.
Severely limit immigration of legal workers and completely eliminate illegal workers.

Finally, the public must be willing to pay major price increases for American made goods and services. No more $500 sixty inch flat screens!

Last edited by texan2yankee; 02-14-2016 at 08:15 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies