Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2016, 04:55 PM

13,639 posts, read 4,950,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToRow View Post
Ironic, since FDR actually inflicted the most damage on the United States out of perhaps all other Presidents combined.

One good thing about FDR was that he was actually a nationalist who was unafraid to wage a war that was required at the time. That sets him apart from the pussified limp-wristed Marxist traitors that have hijacked the modern day Democrat Party.
You're correct in a sense, but let's not confuse war-mongering with nationalism. In FDR's time there was a strong sentiment for isolationism, most notably in the Republican party. I wouldn't call those people traitors, just wrong. Today, its not only Democrats who have misgivings about getting entangled in foreign wars. Rand Paul and Pat Buchanan are two who come to mind, neither of whom would be called Marxists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2016, 04:58 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,966,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
One of the worst along with Wilson and Lincoln.
That's why the people gave him four landslide terms.

Old 02-17-2016, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToRow View Post
Your patient population must be old. I can disparage him because the responsibility for paying for his government schemes is going to be paid for by my kids and grandkids. And probably me too.
You should have a bit more respect. We are all better off because of "his government schemes."

I didn't read all the pages of this thread but I am sure there was a history revisionist who claimed that FDR made the depression worse. I wrote about that years ago. This is one of many posts of that topic:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/21843700-post133.html

Old 02-17-2016, 05:12 PM

45,248 posts, read 26,488,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
That's why the people gave him four landslide terms.
Americans did not want to un-elect a wartime president.

Old 02-17-2016, 05:38 PM

5,302 posts, read 2,359,117 times
Some of the most loved presidents were the worst of all. Lincoln, FDR, Roosevelt...

Then you have guys like John Tyler who nobody even knows, but were great for the country. I just recently learned that he got into office and the Whig party (which he belonged to) was all excited, trying to get him to pass all the legislation they wanted for their party, but Tyler refused to do anything that went against the constitution, even when his entire party disowned him and he made some major enemies. He was just a principled guy who vowed to uphold his duties as president instead of taking advantage of that power.

Old 02-17-2016, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Americans did not want to un-elect a wartime president.
Do you just make-up facts on the fly? FDR was elected in the Nov. 1932 election. He was re-elected in Nov. 1936 and again in Nov 1940. The U.S. wasn't at war until Dec. 8, 1941 -- a full year after FDR's 3rd election. By his 4th election, FDR was still immensely popular and took 449 electoral votes out of 531.
Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
Some of the most loved presidents were the worst of all. Lincoln, FDR, Roosevelt...
Sorry, you can't just do a hit and run. If you are going to claim that FDR and Lincoln were among the worst presidents, you have to back that up with something. Historians judge those two as among the best. Franklin D. Roosevelt, Abraham Lincoln, and George Washington are consistently ranked at the top of the lists.

Old 02-17-2016, 07:55 PM

37,953 posts, read 17,893,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
You should have a bit more respect. We are all better off because of "his government schemes."

I didn't read all the pages of this thread but I am sure there was a history revisionist who claimed that FDR made the depression worse. I wrote about that years ago. This is one of many posts of that topic:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/21843700-post133.html
And your post was wrong. Anyone with a minute understanding of economics knows you cannot manipulated wages and prices and expect the economy to recover. You cannot take money out of the economy like FDR did and expect things to improve.

Unemployment rate 1930 under 10 percent
Unemployment rate 1933 25 percent
Unemployment rate 1940 15 percent

wow great job by FDR getting that rate down to 15 percent in 7 years. Hip Hip hurray America is saved.

Production for the war effort got us out of FDRs depression. He was an economic buffoon.

Old 02-17-2016, 08:10 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,775,499 times
he started a war to get us out of the depression because he bungled anything he tried. He was a creep

Old 02-17-2016, 08:12 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,775,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
Those of whom who speak negatively of FDR, where in the heck did you go to school? I learnt at a very young age that he was a savior of the UDA in the 20th Century, and he did more good than any other president who came after him.

So, what's the deal with the negative vibes against this man, who did so much good for this country?

how did he save the USA. No one was threatening us except Japan when we forced them into a war.

Old 02-17-2016, 08:37 PM

13,639 posts, read 4,950,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerman View Post
he started a war to get us out of the depression because he bungled anything he tried. He was a creep
Clearly we were recovering from the depression long before we entered the war in 1941. Also, I'm dying to hear how FDR forced Japan to attack Pearl harbor.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies