Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2016, 04:49 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times

Advertisements

HEY, don't female jihadists get to wear their jihad-caps when taking a DMV photo!??!?!?!!?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2016, 04:49 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,903,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Agreed.

As long as the face is fully visible, who cares what people wear on their heads? It requires all of 20 minutes to change your hair's appearance.

That said, if a state bans head coverings in DMV photos, there should be NO exceptions for religion. I could *maybe* see an exception for people undergoing chemotherapy. *MAYBE*.
Agreed.

If that pisses off a Jew, a Muslim and so on; too bad.

Old 02-21-2016, 04:52 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,903,758 times
Quote:
Not sure why you keep saying this. Plenty of california latinos have been born in the US, since their families have been in what is now US territory for several hundred years. Do you have some info the rest of us don't have?
To be fair: MOST of the 'Hispanics" In Calif in 1848 was def "white"; the ones of Indian family mostly came here later on both legally and illegally.

Old 02-21-2016, 04:55 PM

1,450 posts, read 1,209,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I know in California statue requires a full-face photograph which displays the facial features (eyes, nose, and mouth). California residents are not required to remove any headgear that is part of his/her normal identification or worn due to religious beliefs such as the turban.

So If once a Marine always Marine, there is no former Marine, There is no ex Marine, once a Marine, always a Marine, Yes, USMC IS this veteran's identity. Judging by the photo, he displayed facial features and he did not violate any rules.

I see no problem with his photo, nor do I believe he viewed himself as God like some posters suggested.
Good They should not have the religious exception clause. It promotes fanaticism. All religion is a sanctified way to be irrational.

Old 02-21-2016, 05:00 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
No exception for religion? OK so are we now going to ask Hindu people to take off their turban when they get pulled ove because we can't exactly tell what color hair they have under itr?
Hair color is not especially useful when it comes to identifying someone. I leave mine alone now, but there was a time when it changed every couple of weeks.

Old 02-21-2016, 05:02 PM

19,722 posts, read 10,124,301 times
Quote:
Hair color is not especially useful when it comes to identifying someone. I leave mine alone now, but there was a time when it changed every couple of weeks.
And I don't have any.

Old 02-21-2016, 05:32 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
Religious exemptions are a joke and have long been on the road to complete elimination. I can't wait.

Old 02-21-2016, 05:32 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,707,101 times
I don't care if God came down from the Mountain and slapped that Yarmulke on your head the

Goverment should compel you to take it off for a Government issued I'd or you get no ID.

No ID?

No government services, no handouts or no voting.

Old 02-21-2016, 05:40 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
To be fair: MOST of the 'Hispanics" In Calif in 1848 was def "white"; the ones of Indian family mostly came here later on both legally and illegally.
True. But the poster I was replying to seems to think that any Californian with a Spanish surname must have had illegal immigrants as parents. Which is manifestly *not* true, nor even close to true.

A high school casual date of mine was a very white-skinned redhead. When I told my mother about him for the first time, she reacted with horror because his name was something like Ray Martinez. I pointed out that he was whiter than she was, and I was going out with him anyway. She shut her mouth. It really was all about skin color with her. Not grades, his were as good as mine - not whether he was college-bound, he was - not religion, he was Roman Catholic just like my father's half of the family - not social class, he lived in a better neighborhood than we did. Even though she knew nothing about him - she erupted before I could tell her anything beyond his name - she made the leap because she hated/feared people with epidermal melanin, and she thought that anyone with a Spanish surname must have epidermal melanin.

The man in the OP is obviously not light-skinned. We are told next to nothing about him, other than the fact he was once in the USMC, yet the reaction is that because he has epidermal melanin and a Spanish surname, his parents were most likely illegal and he ought to be deported.

You will note that both Cruz and Rubio, being touted as evidence that the Rs embrace diversity, are pretty light-skinned.

I will also note that in my personal opinion, judging people, either positively or negatively, on the basis of their epidermal melanin is profoundly stupid.

Last edited by jacqueg; 02-21-2016 at 05:49 PM..

Old 02-21-2016, 06:02 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,493,911 times
I know a lot of veterans both younger and older that would consider his not removing his hat indoors a sign of disrespect. His hat is not a military issue hat, it is a baseball cap and it has nothing to do with his religion. He is just making waves and getting his 15 minutes of glory and fame using a religios exemption law. To me he is just a cry baby and phony.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies