Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2016, 09:45 AM

5,737 posts, read 3,270,295 times

Advertisements

Bismarck State College tuition ( not room and board, fees, and books ) is $2,808 per year for in-state residents.

you said:
Pell Grants are capped at $5,500/yr

I fail to see how pell will not cover it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
Pell Grants are capped at $5,500/yr ($33,000 lifetime). That will not even pay for one year at Bismarck State, the cheapest public school in the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2016, 09:48 AM

8,922 posts, read 5,659,024 times
What happens to the kids who aren't college material? Where do they fit in? Do they get free trade school? They should. Not everyone is cut out for college.

Old 02-23-2016, 09:48 AM

1,431 posts, read 917,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
So the taxpayers paid for your schooling, correct?
You know the military pays taxes on their wages too, right?

Old 02-23-2016, 09:59 AM

7,550 posts, read 5,802,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
College is something required to participate in the 21st century economy. Tax increases on the 1% should pay for it.

But I'm sure old conservatives on this board complain that taxes pay for K-12 education, the only education required of them to thrive in the past.
It is much easier to take from someone else than to pay for services you use isn't it?

Old 02-23-2016, 10:02 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,605,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veezybell View Post
You know the military pays taxes on their wages too, right?
The taxpayers are paying for your schooling, correct? You can't try to worm out of this one. The taxpayers pay, for schooling, for your paycheck. Did you or the taxpayers pay for your schooling?

Old 02-23-2016, 10:32 AM

1,431 posts, read 917,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
The taxpayers are paying for your schooling, correct? You can't try to worm out of this one. The taxpayers pay, for schooling, for your paycheck. Did you or the taxpayers pay for your schooling?
Worm out of what? First off, I haven't been in the military since 2010. Second, the taxpayers (including me) paid for my schooling because I'm a war vet and actually did something. I could've easily sat around and demanded free schooling with no contribution on my end, but I made an contractual agreement with the government. I also paid for further education myself (along with my spouse's). You know what that resulted in? Me paying 4k in taxes MONTHLY after I got a better position. Have you ever paid 48k just in taxes? You know what I could've done with 48k? A lot of people don't even gross that.

If you have a problem with any veteran receiving educational benefits, that's something you need to take up with Veterans Affairs. I'm paying for another veteran's schooling right now, you mad? I'm not.

Old 02-23-2016, 10:34 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,605,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veezybell View Post
Worm out of what? First off, I haven't been in the military since 2010. Second, the taxpayers (including me) paid for my schooling because I'm a war vet and actually did something. I could've easily sat around and demanded free schooling with no contribution on my end, but I made an contractual agreement with the government. I also paid for further education myself (along with my spouse's). You know what that resulted in? Me paying 4k in taxes MONTHLY after I got a better position. Have you ever paid 48k just in taxes? You know what I could've done with 48k? A lot of people don't even gross that.

If you have a problem with any veteran receiving educational benefits, that's something you need to take up with Veterans Affairs. I'm paying for another veteran's schooling right now, you mad? I'm not.
So you got free tuition. Of course you're not mad paying for some veteran's tuition because you got free tuition yourself from all the rest of us. Yet here you are complaining about free tuition. Oh the irony.

Old 02-23-2016, 10:38 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,788,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
Bismarck State College tuition ( not room and board, fees, and books ) is $2,808 per year for in-state residents.

you said:

I didn't say "wouldn't pay tuition" I said "would not pay for". Excluding mandatory fees is pretty disingenuous when you are talking about the cost of attendance.
Also, tuition alone is $2145.96 per semester for in state residents. Not sure where you got that number. It's $2517.36 per semester for in state residents including mandatory fees.
https://bismarckstate.edu/uploads/re...-worksheet.pdf
Through in the estimated $650/semester for books and a ton of different class fees depending on major, but generally $250/semester regardless of major, and there is no way $5,500/yr covers it.
And still, this is the cheapest public school in the country (according to US News and World Report) http://www.usnews.com/education/best...state-students

Old 02-23-2016, 10:43 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,175,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post

you said:

Yeah well, not everyone can afford to up and move to Bismarck, North Dakota a year in advance or whatever is needed to qualify for that in-state tuition. And that's assuming an 18 year old can easily get hired there from out of state.

I was 17 when I left home. I couldn't even find a legal job where I lived until I was 18.

Interesting that you exclude the unavoidable associated costs. I guess that wouldn't help your argument that anyone can go to college for free/cheap.

Old 02-23-2016, 10:47 AM

17,411 posts, read 12,025,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I agree. We should put a cap on tuition and fees charged by any college or university where the students receive federal student loans or grants. Say cap tuition at $6k a year (minus any state taxpayer funding). It's up to the university to figure out how to contain their costs and offer an education at a reasonable cost, or lose both funding and students. No different than any private business-offer a quality product at a competitive price. Our education industry is one of the very few where there are no checks and balances on quality and pricing, at least since the government got in the business of handing out grants and loans.

Businesses can and have in the past responded by offering tuition and scholarships for promising students in degree programs of value to the company. I went through such a program that alternated between a semester of schooling with a semester of work at the company-the wages during the work sessions were about sufficient to pay education costs. We should be encouraging businesses to do so now. And in many cases they do. Many offer tuition assistance for employees to continue their education, and others offer apprenticeships.

Just don't expect much of a reward from businesses for degrees in "basket weaving" majors.
How about a cap on salaries paid by the universities? Coaches, professors that teach only a few courses, administrators - they make a LOT of money, which is passed down to the students. Just capping tuition without capping salaries would only mean that taxes would have to be raised to take up the slack at public universities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies