Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2016, 08:32 AM

1,035 posts, read 1,402,306 times

Advertisements

Just like I stuck up for Beyoncé, my attitude is if you don't like Chic-Fil-A then don't eat there. I personally think for what you pay their portions are small, but the taste is ok. I have no problem with gay rights, however, I DO have a problem when some members of the gay rights community push it up in your face
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2016, 08:37 AM

45,890 posts, read 27,536,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Please refer to post #8 in this thread.

O... K.... - I am just looking at why the majority is not getting what they want.

Old 02-23-2016, 08:39 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,886,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
Unfortunately, what you say is true. Opinions of gays, blacks, and other minorities are what counts now. I don't see that changing.
That is what take our country back means I suppose.

Old 02-23-2016, 08:44 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,386,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
As opposed to what - not counting at all.

Couldn't read that whole link. "Spokesdude," what a joke. The student council voted to not allow the restaurant. What is the issue??? An informal poll of the students wasn't listened to by the Student Council??? Maybe if someone is actually crying about this at the school, then maybe, they could run for the council. Or, as some of you are implying - beat up gays and other minorities. Classy.

You guys need to find something more substantive to be upset over. Maybe safe spaces need to be built for some of you. bwahahaha
No, they they didn't vote to not allow the restaurant. They held a second vote, and Chick-fil-A was not even a choice. They removed it! (See what you miss when you don't read the article?)

Is that how things are supposed to work in America? I don't think so. The majority voted for Chick-fil-A. By a huge margin. That should have settled it. Period. The minority who don't like Chick-fil-A for whatever reason can "vote in the marketplace" by not buying the product. That way, everyone is happy.

The minority participated in the first vote, and were outnumbered. That's the way it works in America. That isn't the same as "not counting." They were counted. They lost. Your politically correct view is what's wrong in America.

In life, everybody doesn't win. Some are winners and some are losers. Get over it. Are we going to have NFL games where nobody wins, but everyone gets a "participation trophy" at the end of the season? Wow, that's bound to excite the fans.

Old 02-23-2016, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
so let me see if I get this straight...

a company's owner is free to support anti gay rights organizations, but the opposition is not allowed to not like it?
No, that isn't what this is about. Obviously, you didn't read the article.

Besides, anyone who doesn't like Chick-fil-A for whatever reason, doesn't have to buy the product. That's called "voting in the marketplace," and that's how their opinion should be expressed, NOT by forcing another vote, and banning Chick-fil-A (which the majority had voted for) AFTER THE VOTE HAD ALREADY BEEN TAKEN, from even being on the ballot!

Do we remove the winner of an election from the ballot and hold another vote because some people didn't like the result?

Old 02-23-2016, 08:55 AM

4,899 posts, read 3,570,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
No, that isn't what this is about. Obviously, you didn't read the article.

Besides, anyone who doesn't like Chick-fil-A for whatever reason, doesn't have to buy the product. That's called "voting in the marketplace," and that's how their opinion should be expressed, NOT by banning Chick-fil-A (the majority had voted for it) AFTER THE VOTE HAD ALREADY BEEN TAKEN, from even being on the ballot!

Do we remove the winner of an election from the ballot and hold another vote because some people didn't like the result?
it's a fast food joint. no need to get all fired up over it.

sounds like you're taking this very personally.

I choose to pick my battles. This isn't one of them.

Old 02-23-2016, 09:01 AM

211 posts, read 114,585 times
Quote:
No, they they didn't vote to not allow the restaurant. They held a second vote, and Chick-fil-A was not even a choice. They removed it! (See what you miss when you don't read the article?)

Is that how things are supposed to work in America? I don't think so. The majority voted for Chick-fil-A. By a huge margin. That should have settled it. Period. The minority who don't like Chick-fil-A for whatever reason can "vote in the marketplace" by not buying the product. That way, everyone is happy.

The minority participated in the first vote, and were outnumbered. That's the way it works in America. That isn't the same as "not counting." They were counted. They lost. Your politically correct view is what's wrong in America.

In life, everybody doesn't win. Some are winners and some are losers. Get over it. Are we going to have NFL games where nobody wins, but everyone gets a "participation trophy" at the end of the season? Wow, that's bound to excite the fans.
Its much how discussion is moderated in the primary politics sub at Reddit. The far-left moderators of /r/Politics pick what gets to be read. Any stories critical of the left or positive towards the right are outright rejected. Comments in the same vein are also rejected and making those comments, even non-confrontational ones, will get you banned from the sub.

They're the gatekeepers and control everything you read in what should be a moderate group, but the mods outright reject anything from the right and do not give you the choice to read other opinions. The same is happening here. A small group who somehow wields power over the masses has removed the option that everyone wanted because they had a problem with it.

Hopefully if this decision stands, Chick-Fil-A opens a full store across the street from campus that can service far more customers than one inside the student union.

Old 02-23-2016, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
Democracy should be dead. This country was founded as and should endeavor to be a REPUBLIC.

Anyway, individuals are free to hold their own viewpoints, but involving your business in such when you employ and serve the general public may have consequences. Sometimes, it is not what you do but how you do it.
Obviously, you didn't read the article either.

While you are correct (about America being a Republic), this was a school. It's not the same thing. In these things, "majority rules" has always been the way things are done.

This has noting to do with Chick-fil-A. They weren't involved at all.

The minority (who were "gays" and lesbians) do not have the right to decide for the majority what should or should not be on the menu. The vote had already been taken. The majority won. That should have been the end of it.

Old 02-23-2016, 09:06 AM

211 posts, read 114,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
it's a fast food joint. no need to get all fired up over it.

sounds like you're taking this very personally.

I choose to pick my battles. This isn't one of them.
Its more than that. Its a small minority who wields an uneven amount of power choosing to punish a private business for the religious beliefs of its owner. We cannot allow people to have their right to do business restricted because of their personal beliefs -- its a massive infringement on personal liberty.

If you personally have a problem with Chick-Fil-A, don't eat there. But this is much like when the mayor of Boston said he would try to ban them from the city, except this group was actually able to get it done.

Old 02-23-2016, 09:06 AM

5,739 posts, read 3,273,925 times
Its almost lunch time. I think I will go and patronize the local Chik-fil-A.

Quote:
The issue was over some new menu options, and Chick-fil-A was one of them. Chick-fil-A was chosen by a very large majority; but, that didn't fly with "gays" on campus, who claimed (without any evidence) that Chick-fil-A discriminates, and it's Christian values were unacceptable.

A new vote was taken, and Chick-fil-A was not one of the choices. Understandably, the majority are outraged, but that doesn't matter. Their voices don't count anymore.

The voices of the immoral minority matter more.

Chick-fil-A flap rocks another American university | Fox News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies