Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2016, 07:02 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,812,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
Latest figures available for 2014. $54 billion [over $1 billion a week] was transferred from people in the U.S. to people in other countries.
$25 billion to Mexico
$15 billion to China
$10 billion to India
$10 billion to Philippines
Others with high amounts of cash transfers- Vietnam, Nigeria, Guatemala, El Salvador, Dominican Republic, Korea.
Most of the people sending the money are working minimum/low wage jobs but can send $54 billion to relatives and friends back home.
Just curious. How do you know " most of the people sending money are working minimum/ low wage jobs"

Are people required to disclose their wage to send money out of the US?

One of my neighbors is an MD. She routinely sends money to her extended family in India. I have no idea how much. None of my business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2016, 07:15 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,973,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
One of my neighbors is an MD. She routinely sends money to her extended family in India. I have no idea how much. None of my business.
None of any of our business -- but apparently not according to conservatives on this thread. So much for keeping the government out of personal matters.

Old 02-25-2016, 07:18 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,751,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
None of any of our business -- but apparently not according to conservatives on this thread. So much for keeping the government out of personal matters.
Are large percentage of those remmittances especially to Mexico and South America are from Illegal Aliens working in this country. That is the Government's business.

Old 02-25-2016, 07:47 AM

5,664 posts, read 5,096,808 times
Quote:
Where do you dream this stuff up? I guess you don't know it isn't illegal to send money abroad. This isn't Nazi Germany. (yet)
To it isn't illegal to send money overseas. I do so myself to family members in Eastern Europe. But given that the end result is damaging our country and economy by 54 BILLION stings per year, it would be wise to impose a higher cost on those who do. And I'd suspect that a large portion of that money sent by those with obvious close ties or loyalties come from those who are here illegally and are not legally entitled to earn that money *and* are not paying taxes on that money.

Quote:
But I do marvel at the conservative mind that can reconcile two opposing ideas 1) The idea that people are free to take actions, and; 2) make everything they don't like illegal.
Would that be anything like the liberal wet dream of removing arms from most American citizens based upon some arbitrary criteria as the guns are black and scary looking, or just hold too many rounds, or restricting the size sodas one may buy in certain areas, or mandating that people can no longer decide what the best path is to maintaining (or forgoing) their health insurance coverage?

Wow, talk about movement to the Nazi ideals... Look at the past when Dems have been in charge.

Old 02-25-2016, 08:30 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,973,512 times
[quote=Workin_Hard;43139900]To it isn't illegal to send money overseas. I do so myself to family members in Eastern Europe. But given that the end result is damaging our country and economy by 54 BILLION stings per year, it would be wise to impose a higher cost on those who do. And I'd suspect that a large portion of that money sent by those with obvious close ties or loyalties come from those who are here illegally and are not legally entitled to earn that money *and* are not paying taxes on that money.[/QUOTE
As I said previously, sending people in other countries green pieces of paper does us no harm. That money need to eventually come back.
Also, $54 billion is a tiny part of the economy.
It's also an unfounded conclusion that "illegals" are sending the money. Those people do, in fact, pay taxes on money that is recorded. If they are getting paid in cash, just like citizens who get paid in cash, they are obligated to pay income taxes and their employer is obligated to take withholding and Social Security taxes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
Would that be anything like the liberal wet dream of removing arms from most American citizens based upon some arbitrary criteria as the guns are black and scary looking, or just hold too many rounds, or restricting the size sodas one may buy in certain areas, or mandating that people can no longer decide what the best path is to maintaining (or forgoing) their health insurance coverage?

Wow, talk about movement to the Nazi ideals... Look at the past when Dems have been in charge.
You suffer from the misconception that liberals want to take your guns away. Liberals, like most Americans, want sensible measures, like background checks -- just like Ronald Reagan supported.

Old 02-25-2016, 08:34 AM

45,256 posts, read 26,506,671 times
So are people really wanting the govrnment to dictate where and how people spend their own cash?

Old 02-25-2016, 08:53 AM

5,664 posts, read 5,096,808 times
Quote:
As I said previously, sending people in other countries green pieces of paper does us no harm. That money need to eventually come back. Also, $54 billion is a tiny part of the economy. It's also an unfounded conclusion that "illegals" are sending the money. Those people do, in fact, pay taxes on money that is recorded. If they are getting paid in cash, just like citizens who get paid in cash, they are obligated to pay income taxes and their employer is obligated to take withholding and Social Security taxes.
What makes you think for one second that someone in the country illegally is going to report illegally-obtained income to the government when that means they'll have to surrender part of it as taxes? They've already committed a serious criminal act by their very presence here. Do you actually believe it would trouble them to commit another? Especially when complying with that law reduces the money available to them, either to keep or send back to their homes and homies.

Quote:
You suffer from the misconception that liberals want to take your guns away. Liberals, like most Americans, want sensible measures, like background checks -- just like Ronald Reagan supported.
I'm not suffering from anything.

Obama stated that he believes that people should not have guns. Pelosi stated that if she could get the votes to mandate it, everyone would have to surrender their arms. In states such as New York, Maryland, Connecticut, and the District, simple possession of both certain types of firearms and standard-capacity magazines are criminal acts. California's state and many California city gun laws are nothing short of Draconian. Where's the "sensible" part come in?

I've nothing against background checks on most gun purchases and have undergone those checks for most of my purchases. But I sometimes buy and sell privately. Mandating checks for such purchases creates a paper trail likened to registration. And we know where registration leads.

But I digress, and this is part of another thread where we can take this conversation. Back to the money issue.

Last edited by Workin_Hard; 02-25-2016 at 10:09 AM..

Old 02-25-2016, 09:25 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,589,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Just curious. How do you know " most of the people sending money are working minimum/ low wage jobs"

Are people required to disclose their wage to send money out of the US?

You're right. It's none of our business. But it is money that is not being spent in the US.

What workers are doing is sending money "home" that supports the budget of these countries as they do rely on remittance from the US.

So in effect workers in the US are supporting several countries, not just the US now.

Old 02-25-2016, 09:31 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,589,524 times
Quote:
As I said previously, sending people in other countries green pieces of paper does us no harm. That money need to eventually come back.
Also, $54 billion is a tiny part of the economy.
It's also an unfounded conclusion that "illegals" are sending the money. Those people do, in fact, pay taxes on money that is recorded. If they are getting paid in cash, just like citizens who get paid in cash, they are obligated to pay income taxes and their employer is obligated to take withholding and Social Security taxes.

The illegals work for cash and live a cash existence.
Go to any supermarket with a Western Union here in Texas on a Sunday.
Sunday is send money home day. And the customer service has Western Union forms preprinted with the Mexican banks.

In 2012 a total of $120 billion left the US. That is money not spent here, not going back into our economy. That is money supporting other countries' budgets and economies.

When you work for cash you are NOT paying taxes.

LOL..they are "obligated" to pay taxes. How naive.

Old 02-25-2016, 10:30 AM

3,437 posts, read 3,293,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
Latest figures available for 2014. $54 billion [over $1 billion a week] was transferred from people in the U.S. to people in other countries.
$25 billion to Mexico
$15 billion to China
$10 billion to India
$10 billion to Philippines
Others with high amounts of cash transfers- Vietnam, Nigeria, Guatemala, El Salvador, Dominican Republic, Korea.
Most of the people sending the money are working minimum/low wage jobs but can send $54 billion to relatives and friends back home.
what your problem with them remitting their extra money? thats their money, not yours.

why dont you compare the amount of money spent by american tourists abroad? im sure thats even bigger.

same money not being spent here but you dont complain about it.

how about the investments made by american companies abroad then bring their products here? thats even bigger money than the 54B you are ranting about
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies