Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2016, 07:27 PM

20,728 posts, read 19,367,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
COL in Mexico compared to the US is 54%.

Factory workers in Mexico make about $7/hour..about $15K a year give or take (USD)
https://www.conference-board.org/ilc...x.cfm?id=28269

They have lower salaries but the COL in Mexico is 1/2 that of the COL in the US.

That is the typical answer, and I find it kind of mind blowing that most people leave it at that. Why is the cost of living lower? Why for example would a society with superior technology that saves time and effort be a higher cost?

Old 02-29-2016, 07:35 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
All of you lefties who oppose this, while then claiming we should become more like Europe, are hypocrites..

Old 02-29-2016, 07:53 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,278,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post

The concern is global trade wars, and economic efficiency.
I had no answer to this until I heard Trump. When you are running $500B deficit every year a trade war is not such a bad thing to have. Besides, who should be afraid of the trade war? US or China/Mexico? Big companies can't run away to skirt our laws and leave small companies behind who can't relocate. 35% tax is pretty fair to level the playing field. Reminds of sales tax situation. Delaware next door does not have a sales tax. We do. If you buy a car in Delaware you save thousands but try to register it in PA and you have to pay 6% tax.

Old 02-29-2016, 07:54 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
That is the typical answer, and I find it kind of mind blowing that most people leave it at that. Why is the cost of living lower? Why for example would a society with superior technology that saves time and effort be a higher cost?
The labor cost is too high.

You don't need "superior technology" to make AC parts.

Old 02-29-2016, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post

I have posted before a site where you can find ALMOST anything you want for AMERICAN MADE PRODUCTS.
But the selection is nowhere near enough. Why do I have to search the deep, dark corners of the internet to buy American products. I tried once. Bought a US made blue jean and guess what. Didn't fit. What is wrong with wanting to walk down the aisles in Walmart and see, not 100%, but 50% items American made goods? It seems like some people don't even like the idea the way they dismiss it.

Old 02-29-2016, 08:01 PM

Quote:
The labor cost is too high.

You don't need "superior technology" to make AC parts.
Wil they sell their ACs any cheaper? Of course not. They'll pocket the money.

Old 02-29-2016, 08:09 PM

34,059 posts, read 17,081,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
But the selection is nowhere near enough. Why do I have to search the deep, dark corners of the internet to buy American products. I tried once. Bought a US made blue jean and guess what. Didn't fit. What is wrong with wanting to walk down the aisles in Walmart and see, not 100%, but 50% items American made goods? It seems like some people don't even like the idea the way they dismiss it.

People want bang for the buck. Purchases are not made by 99% by waving a flag.

Old 02-29-2016, 08:52 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,375,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
I had no answer to this until I heard Trump. When you are running $500B deficit every year a trade war is not such a bad thing to have. Besides, who should be afraid of the trade war? US or China/Mexico? Big companies can't run away to skirt our laws and leave small companies behind who can't relocate. 35% tax is pretty fair to level the playing field. Reminds of sales tax situation. Delaware next door does not have a sales tax. We do. If you buy a car in Delaware you save thousands but try to register it in PA and you have to pay 6% tax.
Thats not the great answer you think it is. It is the simple answer, but it misses efficiencies completely, misses the point that big companies CAN run away and skirt our laws, and misses that it wont "reduce" our trade deficit so much as reduce our purchases...AND our sales. Its not the great thing you think. However as I said at the start, I am torn. There ARE some good possibilities long term despite the pain. From a purely economical "whats best for everyone" the answer is-not a trade war. But...from a "whats good for US jobs, etc" its not as clear cut.

Overall I am inclined to think it would be a mistake, but I am open to someone convincing me wrong. Problem is that there are enough variables that I half suspect that......

The only way to know if it would be a good law would be to pass it.

I hope the irony of that sentence is not lost on people. Not trying to imply anything, just that as I typed it it felt awfully familiar. Made me laugh.

Old 02-29-2016, 09:10 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Thats not the great answer you think it is. It is the simple answer, but it misses efficiencies completely, misses the point that big companies CAN run away and skirt our laws, and misses that it wont "reduce" our trade deficit so much as reduce our purchases...AND our sales. Its not the great thing you think. However as I said at the start, I am torn. There ARE some good possibilities long term despite the pain. From a purely economical "whats best for everyone" the answer is-not a trade war. But...from a "whats good for US jobs, etc" its not as clear cut.

Overall I am inclined to think it would be a mistake, but I am open to someone convincing me wrong. Problem is that there are enough variables that I half suspect that......

The only way to know if it would be a good law would be to pass it.

I hope the irony of that sentence is not lost on people. Not trying to imply anything, just that as I typed it it felt awfully familiar. Made me laugh.
What laws are they "skirting" ?

We don't have any laws mandating that US companies stay in the US and hire US workers.

Old 02-29-2016, 09:17 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,375,883 times
Quote:
What laws are they "skirting" ?

We don't have any laws mandating that US companies stay in the US and hire US workers.
Oh my. LOL. Theres tons of loopholes that companies use constantly to skirt laws, ranging from tiny 3 person companies who can sort of do it, to massive companies that can navigate laws with ease, and even have new ones written.

Please...tell me you said this just to have some sort of debate, because I've seen enough of your posts to believe that you know better. (and I mean that in a positive way). Companies skirt laws.

Edit to add-nevermind, I think we're discussing different topics there a bit. lets take it from what I think you were asking.

Same answer though. Tax evasion of various legalities occur, and they've taken to doing some fun things with intellectual property and foreign corporations thats fascinating.

Last edited by greywar; 02-29-2016 at 09:51 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies