Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 10:45 AM

17,623 posts, read 17,682,949 times

Advertisements

As a white kid in the 70s, we got commodities. For those who don't know, commodities were like food stamps except you were given the food the government decided you needed. We got government issue cheese & butter, powdered milk, oatmeal, puffed rice cereal, dry beans, and sometimes dry rice. We got our eggs from a relative who raised fighting roosters. At our worst a mayonnaise sandwich was a luxury. I live in a mobile home in a trailer park. Thankfully we don't go hungry, roof doesn't leak, and we have insurance. Some of my relatives aren't so lucky. I have some relatives that are really poor. No cell phone, no computer, no internet, sometimes the home phone is working when he pays the bill, sometimes the electricity is cut off because of not paying the bill, and family will help them with food. The heat is natural gas so they tend to stop paying electricity in winter. Now that the oil industry is bust, hundreds of thousands of oil field workers are out of jobs. With so many out of work at the same time, there aren't enough jobs to go around. Some of the low pay positions in the oil field can be over $20 an hour with plenty of overtime and benefits. Now they're fighting to get a part time job at 9 dollars an hour or less. Maybe Bernie's circle of friends don't know any poor white people, but I know plenty. Being white doesn't make it easier to get a job. In fact, for some jobs being white is an obstacle to getting a job (civil service, post office, and majority black run business).

Old 03-07-2016, 10:48 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baystater View Post
Yes. Very Careless. Will see if it sticks.

Bernie Sanders: White People Don't Know What It's Like To Live In The 'Ghetto'

In my case...that part was absolute correct. Yes my family was poor. We were on section 8, food stamp, etc. But we ended up getting placed (housing) In what I consider an awesome area. A working class beach town in Mass. For the most part quiet, safe, and best of all, summer time was beach all day. So much when I was a kid.
Glad you stated this. Most people don't realize that the majority of persons on Section 8 and foodstamps are white people. Also most people who get Section 8 live in VERY nice neighborhoods. Only public housing is in bad areas and some of it isn't today.

Most people's concept of what it means to be poor in America is completely false. White people are indeed poor IMO.

Old 03-07-2016, 10:49 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,611,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
Poor is what life was like before the welfare state enabled dependency.
Agreed.

Old 03-07-2016, 10:52 AM

19,642 posts, read 12,231,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baystater View Post
Yes. Very Careless. Will see if it sticks.

In my case...that part was absolute correct. Yes my family was poor. We were on section 8, food stamp, etc. But we ended up getting placed (housing) In what I consider an awesome area. A working class beach town in Mass. For the most part quiet, safe, and best of all, summer time was beach all day. So much when I was a kid.

In your case, but you could have just as easily ended up in Dorchester or Lawrence. Bernie needs to take a cruise up to some of the ghettos of his beautiful New England, where he will find plenty of whites living there.

Old 03-07-2016, 10:58 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,359,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Glad you stated this. Most people don't realize that the majority of persons on Section 8 and foodstamps are white people. Also most people who get Section 8 live in VERY nice neighborhoods. Only public housing is in bad areas and some of it isn't today.

Most people's concept of what it means to be poor in America is completely false. White people are indeed poor IMO.
Correct, but too often rhetoric to attack public social benefits are made with racial appeals with the idea that [insert ethnic or racial group] are all on welfare, sucking on the public teat, and are taking away resources that should go to the "deserving."

Think of the myth of the welfare queen and other tropes.

Old 03-07-2016, 10:59 AM

17,623 posts, read 17,682,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post

Among my family a new single wide mobile home is fancy. A double wide mobile home means you rich. With even rundown 60 year old 3 bedroom 1 bath homes locally going for over $100,000 a new single wide mobile home with 3 bedroom 2 bath fully loaded (appliances and furniture) for $40,000 to $50,000 looks good. A bare bones new trailer can be had for around $30,000 depending on size and features. Some nearly new homes can be a cheap buy and still be in great condition. My home is 18 years old and people think it's only 5 years old. Apartment rates are huge for the square footage you get. Even some small one or two bedroom one bath apartments with no laundry hookups are going for over $400 in bad crime areas. Mobile homes are the best options for some people and yet some city/town governments are slowly passing regulation to eventually eliminate and ban mobile homes from their town/city. They claim it's a crime issue but it's really a tax issue. Apartments and concrete foundations homes generate more taxes than mobile homes.

Old 03-07-2016, 11:06 AM

451 posts, read 465,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post

Sanders is in a situation where he has to pander in an outrageously over-the-top way to blacks, just to stay in the game with Hillary for the nomination. And in an effort to do that, he was bound to wind up saying something stupid like this.
Exactly. Same reason he allowed the BLM race hustlers to bum rush his podium. He's an Old School Liberal who probably distrusts wacko SJWs in general, but an Old School Liberal needs the black vote to get anywhere. Unfortunately, Sanders is a 70-year-old white man from a region of the country where there aren't hardly any minorities around for miles.

Old 03-07-2016, 11:11 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,611,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Bernie is pandering to the liberal white guilt voters. Most black, Asian, Hispanic or white ghetto residents wouldn't even know what the man looks like.
I agree with you 100%.

Here is the very interesting article,

why don't black voters feel the "bern"

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ve-moved-left/

Old 03-07-2016, 11:12 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,468,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknwhiterose View Post
Exactly. Same reason he allowed the BLM race hustlers to bum rush his podium. He's an Old School Liberal who probably distrusts wacko SJWs in general, but an Old School Liberal needs the black vote to get anywhere. Unfortunately, Sanders is a 70-year-old white man from a region of the country where there aren't hardly any minorities around for miles.
Maybe it looks like the brown team is taking over Vermont?!?!? Since 2010 the brown team has rocketed up to a blistering 1.2% from 1% and the white team has taken a beating and it's down to a dismal 95% from 95.3%. The brown team is literally displacing the white team and the yellow team is sitting around doing nothing slowly.

Old 03-07-2016, 11:14 AM

5,472 posts, read 3,226,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Bastards are responsible for most of this nations crime.
What Bastards? It's evident you don't read the news nor take notice to how so much horrendous crime is buried in the backs of news publications and one some webpages, some crime by various ethnic groups is made into small articles one may quickly scroll past, without actually seeing it. But if it read and the insanity of the type, nature and motivations behind the crime is a MAJOR atrocity that is WIDESPREAD.
But really one does not even have to go there to find it, Turn on you TV and look at all the criminal cop shows, and the made for TV horror of crimes these shows are based upon. The delusion is, these shows often have "pretty faced actors" playing the part. Which distracts from the horror and madness of the actuality of the crime and the devastation which reverberate from the acts of such crimes.

Before you make covert bigoted slant comment, refocus and address the reality which exist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies