Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 03:23 AM

3,838 posts, read 1,787,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Right. Cause Hillary, the trust fund baby, Trump ( who only got a tiny loan of a million dollars) from Dad to start his business, Bush, the oil baron , and the rest of them can relate to being middle to lower class.

Do your research. Don't get sold on a sound bite. Seriously. It's not you. It's the pre packaged bs from people that never ate a fried bologna sandwich or worried that people were going to judge their school clothes, AGAIN. Cause they came from hand me downs or K Mart.

Do your research. Find out who relates, and then make your OWN decision.

You make a very good point, Bernie grew up poor. He knows whats it's like to have little and can relate and have compassion for others who experience poverty. While those other candidates you mention don't really have an understanding, nor personal experience.

Old 03-07-2016, 04:46 AM

1,243 posts, read 1,147,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post
I'd like to see Bernie Sanders tell that to the people of Appalachia & the Ozarks. What a joke.

Damn... You beat me to it.

I Live in the southern Appalachian region, just a half-hour drive from the town of Appalachia, Va. Bernie should visit this region - if he could find it - for a well-deserved lesson in what it means to be "poor and white".

Old 03-07-2016, 04:57 AM

12,039 posts, read 6,570,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshGL View Post
Is anyone gonna tell ol' Bernie that these ghettos are almost exclusively run by Democrats?
^^^^THIS
pathetic it never gets brought up in the debates.

Old 03-07-2016, 05:19 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waviking24 View Post
There are a lot of white Americans living in poverty.
I am confused, your title and your statement are contradictory. But regardless, yes, white people do know what it is like to be poor or many do. My mom grew up poor, so did a few of my best friends. I have worked the food banks right here in NWA and in NM. So what makes you think we do not know and can't feel for poor people especially the children?
Bernie Sanders might be a nice guy, he may have grown up poor or poor as some see it, but you can't give everybody everything.

Old 03-07-2016, 05:27 AM

1,300 posts, read 1,042,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintergirl80 View Post
I don't think Bernie really does know what it's like to grow up in a ghetto, but he did grow up poor. I think it's fair to say that being white and poor is different than growing up in a ghetto and the stigma attached to it. Unless your African American and experienced it you don't know what it's like.
Here's the thing. Of course whites don't know what is like to grow up in a ghetto like blacks do, but that's because whites rarely if ever turn their communities into complete violent, crime ridden crapholes like blacks so often do. Even the worst white neighbourhoods are NOTHING compared to most crappy black neighborhoods.

I don't know about other people, but for me I don't define an area 'ghetto' by simply lack of money and wealth. There are plenty of places that are poor but I wouldn't call ghetto because to me ghetto means somewhere unsafe, violent and generally dangerous in addition to being a poor area. That to me defines many, MANY areas that blacks live in which is why when I think 'ghetto' its often to do with black neighbourhoods. There are a number of white neighbourhoods that aren't that great, but I seriously doubt that many people would be afraid to walk through them and think its likely they're going to be a victim of assault, robbery or even murder compared to you walking though a poor black neighbourhood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
Plus, I see quite a few black people not too thrilled with the idea of assuming ghetto equals black people. Which is true. Plenty of black people grow up far from the ghetto and are raised in good neighborhoods. Things are getting better when it comes to thinks like that. Slowly but surely.
I'm willing to bet that the majority of blacks who grow up in good neighborhoods usually grow up in NON-BLACK neighbourhoods, because in the entire US there are few if any black communities of significant size that is mostly black that doesn't have higher than average crime rates.

Also someone mentioned the Appalachian and how its mostly white and mostly poor and according to here:

Appalachian Demographics & Statistics

The crime rates are similar or only slightly higher and in a couple of cases lower than the national average. So if poverty is the main reason why blacks are so violent and criminal, then why is some of the poorest places that are predominately white NOT exploding in crime and violence too? Doesn't this prove once and for all that poverty IS NOT the main cause of crime and violence in communities? That God forbid if blacks should do the right thing and raise their kids right to be proper, decent human beings that maybe, MAYBE their communities wouldn't be eternally screwed up?

Old 03-07-2016, 05:37 AM

5,472 posts, read 3,225,328 times
The Poor = I've continually said, the Poor is made up of ( women, dire poor whites, minorities and many working poor whites and blacks remain being poor).
When it comes to public assistance usage, the averages go from 4:1 to 7:1 and some areas higher, of white people who need and use these benefits far and above what is used by minorities.
Politicians don't lay out these numbers because it is not politically beneficial to them to do so.
Historically in American, we know that minorities have been at the deepest lower levels of poverty, but what many well to do whites don't want to acknowledge is the fact there are a great great many very very poor white people, both young and old, who meet and face some of the same impoverished devastation experience and subjected by, of which is experienced by many blacks, poor Native Americans, Asian, Latin and others.
In all these groups more focus is always placed on black poverty, because it is so utterly low and compacted in "ghetto and soon to be ghetto sections of major metro's".
This is only part of the picture of what is "The Poor" in America.

What is fiction is many poor whites who work hard labor jobs, may be able to get "CREDIT" and buy a few things for show with that credit, but their reality still sums up to be - a people ridden by debt until they get the affects of that when they are older and or injured and can no longer make the payments on their debt.
What distorts the picture is often time poor whites can get credit, which is denied to the poor women and poor minorities, and their access to credit only goes to create a delusion and illusion, when reality still remains the fact, they are poor, but the ILLUSION IS that not so many white are as dire poor as truth WOULD OTHER SHOW.
Too many parents work themselves silly, trying to give kids things which they can't truly afford, and over time by the age of 50 many of these parents are broken down and in need of medical care, sadly, in far too many cases, the kids are by then long gone. The parent is left trying to figure out how to get enough public assistance to keep a roof over their head and pay for medications and keep the lights and gas on. THIS IS A REALITY WHICH IS FAR TOO COMMON ACROSS THE AMERICAN LANDSCAPE.

People need to awaken in general - THE POOR, has never been appreciated, liked or respected by the well to do whites, and in the black areas, the same is true of the well to do blacks, who don't like or respect the dire poor blacks. The dire poor blacks are not liked by the well to do whites, the poor whites and the well to do blacks and the marginally poor whites. They have a triple whammy upon and against them.

People talk about ghetto's, but ask yourself a question_ how can anyone maintain upkeep to a home when all the money is given to keep food on the table? We see some minorities who fix their hair, or when they can buy a car and make it flashy, trying their desperate best to create an illusion to fend on being seen as dire poor, then they are criticized for it, when one does not understand, what it takes for them to struggle to try and appear less poor than they are. what they do know is, the well to do whites, the poor whites and the well to do blacks and the marginally poor whites. will respect them even less if they did not make some effort to try to appear less poor. They don't know that they are often 'ridiculed" for the things they do to try and appear less poor.

Sadly, this is somewhat true for poor whites, they may live in a rural areas with a trailer home, but they put all their things in the front yard trying to show others that they are not as poor as they truly are. They are too ridiculed by the well to do whites and other poor, as well as the well to do blacks and well to do others.

Both dire poor whites and dire poor blacks get the label of having "gaudy things", rather than being appreciated or respected for trying to have something that projects an image of having something.

America and the TV image of commercial marketing, paint imagines of fiction, so my try to live by. including the well to do, and no matter how much of what ever they buy to try and meet these COMMERCIAL imagery captions sold to the people via commercials, what we find in principle is a great many "UNHAPPY PEOPLE", chasing commercial imagery to a point of sheer desperation. The same rages in the well to do ranks that rages in the poor ranks, - high divorce rates, broken families, and consumption into material things and a competitive demeanor that pushes them to the madness of "nothing is enough".
Result - we have such a disjointed nation of people, where not even families can get along, and sometimes, they can't get along in the home either. Followed by a mass of people, "claiming depression".

We never had so many people claiming depression before the advent of "Television Advertising".
But since the delusion of the old TV shows, of Leave it to Beaver, My three Son and all the fiction, not to mention the madness of Soap Operas, where everyone was ripping off someone or sleeping with the other persons mate, or trying to take one mate from another....... and people tried to create these images in their daily reality, then it went to the "Friends", and "Sex in the City", and all these things influenced a madness in society that has become horrendous. Sex in the City, pushed a loss of moral quality in male and female relations, because it made it ok, for the "temporary sleep around's to be as if its a thing to do". Suddenly, Morality vanished!!!!!

No one today has any respect or regard for older people, young people are lost in measuring each other by material things, and now young people want quickly, what it took older people years and decades and sacrifices to obtain.
Kids come out of University, Suddenly and Immediately they want the same big house their grandparents worked their whole life to have, these kids want it right now, they want the marquee vehicle and the name brand clothes and etc. They don't grasp and understand how to slowly build these things into their life of a long span of time, work, sacrifice and planning. Today, we see every kind of graft, criminal activity, swindling and anything, including being and become murderous, or what ever else they can conjure up to try and get this stuff right now.

What we have is a society who is competitive with a vengeance, they kill without mercy or forethought about their actions, they are desperate to have the imagery of material things to pretend they are doing good. Reality continue to show, the minute the job leaves, everything falls flat in less than two or three months. then they can in some cases become unhinged!!!! we see mates killing each other, people killing the whole family, people killing parents and all such things, in their fits of desperation's.

Quote:
IF WE CAN EVER BECOME A SOCIETY WHO LIVES BEYOND MEASURING PEOPLE BY MATERIAL THINGS, we all may learn better to respect each other as individuals, get over the delusion of skin making anyone better than another, and not be driven, led, manipulated, and made crazy by commercial advertising, and stop chasing the fictional imagery of pre-scripted media depictions of life. Then we might learn how to become a society of people who can learn how to work together, live together and actually respect what is America and be people who support rebuilding a nation with core humane values and considerations for and of each other.
Sadly, this won't happen anytime soon!!!!!

Last edited by Chance and Change; 03-07-2016 at 05:48 AM..

Old 03-07-2016, 05:40 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Sterling View Post
Here's the thing. Of course whites don't know what is like to grow up in a ghetto like blacks do, but that's because whites rarely if ever turn their communities into complete violent, crime ridden crapholes like blacks so often do. Even the worst white neighbourhoods are NOTHING compared to most crappy black neighborhoods.

I don't know about other people, but for me I don't define an area 'ghetto' by simply lack of money and wealth. There are plenty of places that are poor but I wouldn't call ghetto because to me ghetto means somewhere unsafe, violent and generally dangerous in addition to being a poor area. That to me defines many, MANY areas that blacks live in which is why when I think 'ghetto' its often to do with black neighbourhoods. There are a number of white neighbourhoods that aren't that great, but I seriously doubt that many people would be afraid to walk through them and think its likely they're going to be a victim of assault, robbery or even murder compared to you walking though a poor black neighbourhood.

I'm willing to bet that the majority of blacks who grow up in good neighborhoods usually grow up in NON-BLACK neighbourhoods, because in the entire US there are few if any black communities of significant size that is mostly black that doesn't have higher than average crime rates.

Also someone mentioned the Appalachian and how its mostly white and mostly poor and according to here:

Appalachian Demographics & Statistics

The crime rates are similar or only slightly higher and in a couple of cases lower than the national average. So if poverty is the main reason why blacks are so violent and criminal, then why is some of the poorest places that are predominately white NOT exploding in crime and violence too? Doesn't this prove once and for all that poverty IS NOT the main cause of crime and violence in communities? That God forbid if blacks should do the right thing and raise their kids right to be proper, decent human beings that maybe, MAYBE their communities wouldn't be eternally screwed up?

Biggest correlate of crime rate = rate of young single males not employed and not in school. (NOT poverty.) e.g. Michael Brown, Trayvon Martin, etc etc.

Blacks have younger age distribution than whites (higher birth rate and higher death rate), 2x unemployment rate, much higher dropout rate, much lower marriage rate.

The "young single males not employed and not in school" rate is MUCH higher (maybe 4x?) for blacks than for whites. THAT is what's driving crime. It's not little old ladies and it's not middle aged married workers.

Old 03-07-2016, 05:45 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,889,092 times
Bastards are responsible for most of this nations crime.

Old 03-07-2016, 05:54 AM

20,050 posts, read 20,855,965 times
I know what Bernie meant.
I also know what it's like to be poor.
To have a family and run out of money and get creative with ways to pay the rent.
The one thing about me is I was always motivated and a hustler, so some how, some way, we got by. We got married and had kids without a pot to **** in or a window to throw it out of and never took advantage of "programs" or charity, no handouts. We had pride and always made it on our own. Eventually things worked out because we were driven to better ourselves for the sake of our family. That was the key for us though, we were motivated and made things work. We didn't lay on our backs waiting for free stuff and other people to take care of us. We had pride.

Old 03-07-2016, 05:57 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,222,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Bernie Sanders: White People Don't Know What It's Like To Live In The 'Ghetto'

Sanders is in a situation where he has to pander in an outrageously over-the-top way to blacks, just to stay in the game with Hillary for the nomination. And in an effort to do that, he was bound to wind up saying something stupid like this.
This indicates Bernie is completely disconnected from reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies